Author Topic: Brand new ignition switch bad?  (Read 345 times)

Offline jimbojangles

• Enthusiast
Brand new ignition switch bad?
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:46:34 am »
Hey all,

I finally got to the point of starting my cb350f this weekend. It last ran in the 80s. I made sure everything was perfect and with fire extinguisher nearby I turned the key and....nothing! Not even a token light or noise. It was Kind of a disappointing moment after doing a frame up restoration for the last year.

Anyway after chasing wires with a voltmeter I found out that it was my brand new ignition switch that was causing the problem. I confirmed this by running a jumper wire to "hotwire" my ignition and everything came on as it should. Amazingly everything worked. I've taken the ignition apart a few times to try to diagnose the problem. Is there a common flaw with these cheap reproduction ignitions that I should be looking for? Is there a better source for these? I did notice that I was able to remove the key with it in the run position.

On a happier note, with the bike hotwired, it started right up. (took a few kicks) After a few minutes of tinkering I got it to settle into a nice idle with all four cylinders firing evenly. What a cool little bike.

1974 CB350F
2013 VFR1200F