Author Topic: California Riders--PZ is on the move in March  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
California Riders--PZ is on the move in March
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:21:12 pm »

Pimpzilla and I will be leaving Santa Barbara, CA on March 14th and taking a wide loop around AZ, NM, CO, and back to AZ and home in CA.  The plan is to be back by 3/24

Here is the tentative schedule:

3/14 Santa Barbara to Yuma AZ
3/15 Yuma>Gila Bend> Tombstone AZ
3/16 Tombstone > Gleeson>Douglas AZ
3/17 Douglas> Portal>Silver City, NM>Truth or Consequences NM
3/18 Truth or C > Albuquerque>Santa Fe>...
then I lose track of time but the rough idea is
Santa Fe NM> Trinidad CO> Cortez CO>Grand Canyon AZ>CA

If anyone wants to pick up/meet up with PZ and me I am ready to pass him off anytime after Tombstone (I promised PZ we would go there together). Perhaps another "region" wants to take him east or north?  I am fine taking him back with me to CA as we have bonded in the last few months.

Let me know thoughts!
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline Proto

• Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB750F
Re: California Riders--PZ is on the move in March
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:00:13 pm »
Hey Mooshie, if you are up for some company from Santa Barbara back to AZ, I might be in the area on the 14th.  I am kicking around the idea of trailering my Honda to Tucson, then riding from there to somewhere north of LA, picking up the PCH and riding it all the way to Monterrey, if all is well.  I have relatives in the Atascadero, Arroyo Grande area that I would like to stop and see, so I would be playing it kind of loose going north.  If all goes according to plan, I would try to time my return trip to pass through Santa Barbara at whatever time you plan on leaving.  I would tag along at least as far as Tucson, maybe further to Deming, NM to see the folks and then loop back to Tucson. 

Any suggestions where I should pick up the PCH?  LA area traffic scares me.  I thought it was bad back int he '70s and '80s!  God knows what it is like now.  I might plan my passage through there late at night or very early in the a.m. 

Proto (David)
1976 Honda CB-750F1
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Offline fatmatt650

• Part Deux
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:27 pm »
My poor bike's been sitting since limping home last year w/ minor carb issues. No big deal, I should be able to get her rolling but unfortunately I'm understaffed and overworked at the shop right now. I'll see what I can do.
So much to do, so little time.

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 02:53:38 pm »
Hey Mooshie, if you are up for some company from Santa Barbara back to AZ, I might be in the area on the 14th.  I am kicking around the idea of trailering my Honda to Tucson, then riding from there to somewhere north of LA, picking up the PCH and riding it all the way to Monterrey, if all is well.  I have relatives in the Atascadero, Arroyo Grande area that I would like to stop and see, so I would be playing it kind of loose going north.  If all goes according to plan, I would try to time my return trip to pass through Santa Barbara at whatever time you plan on leaving.  I would tag along at least as far as Tucson, maybe further to Deming, NM to see the folks and then loop back to Tucson. 

Any suggestions where I should pick up the PCH?  LA area traffic scares me.  I thought it was bad back int he '70s and '80s!  God knows what it is like now.  I might plan my passage through there late at night or very early in the a.m. 

Proto (David)

Hi David:
I plan on leaving around 7 or 7:30am on the 14th, going to Yucaipa to pick up a few friends (non-SOHC riders) and then push to Yuma.  It would be great to have you along. Let me know if it works in your plans (email or PM me).
PCH has been closed but I think is now opening up this weekend.  They had a horrid mud slide and took out 9 miles of it.  But it should be good to go and it is a great ride once you get past Santa Monica and into Malibu (traffic clears up nicely then you dump into the 101).  Unfortunately it is not an easy on off so basically you pick it up below Santa Monica and you're pretty much stuck there until it dumps you out through Oxnard onto the 101.  Early morning would be my pick not at night (people will not see you even if they do see you).
Let me know once you are close to Santa Barbara what your plans are would love to meet up with you either way.

My poor bike's been sitting since limping home last year w/ minor carb issues. No big deal, I should be able to get her rolling but unfortunately I'm understaffed and overworked at the shop right now. I'll see what I can do.

Matt it won't be the same without you on the kick off. 
Where are the Arizona/New Mexico/Colorado riders?  No one want to take PZ further East or North? 8)
1976 CB550F

Offline Proto

• Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:48:17 am »
Rats!  Loaded the F1 on the trailer and hauled it to Grand Junction where I was to spend the weekend with the new grandkid.  and then head for Tucson where I would start my ride to California.  Backed the trailer into the daughters garage for the night.  Next morning found a huge puddle of oil under the trailer.  It was coming from the left front fork!  I had pre-loaded the suspension with the tie downs to keep the bike from bouncing around.  Guess with the added weight of the Windjammer it was too much for the old seal.  Headed back home since the oil was running down onto the brake disk.  Decided to order parts for both forks.  Since I would be doing that, went ahead and ordered some progressive springs too.  So I will NOT be meeting up with Mooshie and crew in California.  Might still try to do the ride next month.
1976 Honda CB-750F1
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »
Oh David that is too bad. Looks like it is just me.  I'm the California crew  ;)
Where are all the CA riders?  Guess PZ will be making a loop this go round unless someone jumps in here!
1976 CB550F

Offline fatmatt650

• Part Deux
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:58:51 pm »
Jealous! Sorry I can't help out this year. :-[
So much to do, so little time.