Author Topic: Building a balanced Stock 74K motor for the Salt 2016 looking for advise  (Read 937 times)

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
This will be my fist time going to salt.

You see the bike in my avatar thats Old paint. I have bought this bike in a box when I was 18. It was my first motor rebuild. In the years I've had it I have ran through one stock motor- one  900 RC motor- and one 836 RC/Yosh piece together motor into the ground.
Right now it has a bad ass K motor in it that I bought off a friend years ago. I'm not sure whats been dune to it but it's not stock.

I say all this to point out I'm not a rookie, but I'm not an expert. I have built this bike with parts I found hear and there. I raced it at Banbridge Air strip in WA for 2 years, then an aluminum connecting rod broke

I have a 74 K motor (i think might be a 72) that I rebuilt the top end in 96. I had the whole top end cleaned and looked over and prepped by a speed shop in Seattle. They also did the valves. When I put it together and in the bike I had no power and blew the head gasket. It was summer so I put a RC900 motor in it that I pulled out of a chopper and off I went.

Fast forward to 2015. I'm taking this motor apart once more.
This time I want to build a sweet well balanced stock-sh motor to run at speed week.

Any advise in this endeavor needed. I've been off and on this site since day one. I no my user info says 2000 or something. I lost my user number when they changed servers and had to re register. I know there are some guys on hear that go to to the slat and are into it.

I want you help and advise.

Thank you so much.
Greg Mountian
I would love your help and knowledge.
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,109584.0.html

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html

Your welcome to the 'salt' challenge.  The above threads should provide a basic intro as to what to expect. Also spend a few days reading build-treads and event rule commentary on the landracing.com site.

Two featured venues are available. Your reference to speedweek generally implies the SCTA event. That is a mixture of cars and bikes with a heavy slant toward cars. At this time I am not aware of a competitive class in which a sohc/4 could look to achieve a record. But if having fun and paying triple the hotel rate is your goal.............go for it :) :) :)

The BMST (formerly BUB) event is for bikes only. It is both AMA and FIM sanctioned. The AMA has introduced a new class in which a sohc/4 is thought to be competitive. The basic classes are: Vintage - pre '56; Classic - '56-'80; Modern - to date. 

Download a copy of the rules from the SCTA and AMA sites and decide what type of bike chassis and motor you wish to compete in. If you want to experience the salt before you build a 'special' you may want to take a few runs in the "Run What You Brung' event at the BMST event.

First advice: make sure you motor is capable of running in top gear at WFO for more than a mile ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline johno

• Expert
second tip......be nice to the weather man ;) ;D
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.