Author Topic: Whirring noise from alternator, sticking and stiff shifter  (Read 500 times)

Offline dudah

Whirring noise from alternator, sticking and stiff shifter
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »
I have a 1972 CB500f. I recently de-winterized it and have rode it about 40 miles.

I live in Chicago and use it for running errands. Never in traffic, just normal amount of red lights. After about 20 minutes of riding the shifter gets a little harder to shift. Sometimes the shift lever gets stuck. But I can always shift just with a little more force than when it's first warmed up. Googling didn't show up any results so I've still been riding it.

Nice night so I took it on the highway and was riding great, no problems, steady acceleration. I was going 50-80mph for about 10 minutes. I get off the highway and I hear a whirring noise coming from the alternator region (lower left side). I could only hear this when I was coming up to a stoplight. Sounds kind of like an electric motor or perhaps an exercise bike. It starts when in gear around 3000 rpm and when slowing down doesn't stop making noise until 1800 rpm. It sounds the same regardless of rpm until it stops and the sound quickly dies off. Starts again every time I shift into gear and start going. Never heard this noise on this bike before.

I parked it to let it cool but haven't found any good results searching online. Guessing the two aren't related, but figured both were worth mentioning.