Author Topic: CB400F MAC Exhaust Opinions  (Read 763 times)

Offline Speedy

CB400F MAC Exhaust Opinions
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »
I know the stock exhaust is cool (I have a new header as a spare) but I want to try a full MAC 4-1 exhaust, hoping for a bit of a performance gain.  How loud are they, and any rejetting required?  Also debating chrome or black and looking for opinions on quality of finish.  I am really looking at using a Cone Engineering muffler like this down the road:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/gallery/the-dime-city-four-hundred-for-cafe-racer-tv-season-2.html

The header could be a MAC, if not one would work.  Thanks.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: CB400F MAC Exhaust Opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:25:26 pm »
Have you ever heard of the saying you get what you pay for? It certainly applies to Mac exhaust.  You certainly not get a performance gain.  The stock 400 swooping header is a classic, I cannot believe you would want to replace it. 
If you want a performance gain, why not buy a 550 or 750?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Speedy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:07 am »
The MAC header looks to be a much better flowing design than the stock, and I assume the muffler is not nearly as restrictive so it surely has some performance gains.  There are very few options for exhausts.

I’m replacing it because it’s cheaper, I want to save my new stock header for a later date, and I’m not doing a stock restoration but rather a modified bike that you would have seen back in the day.  The stock unit is a classic but to be frank I like the looks of this system.  And if I wanted a fast bike I’d buy a BMW S1000RR.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:40:25 am »
 Don't know if it really answers your question or not, but this MAC came on the 400F when we purchased it. The seller said the muffler was actually a CB750 MAC muffler because "it sounded better", whatever that means.
 It fit fine, sounded mean and seemed to perform just fine.

We sourced a stock 400F exhaust for that bike and reused the MAC on a CB350F. Same scenario: Runs, fits and sounds good.

'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650