Author Topic: RC Eng cast block - would you buy one.?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
RC Eng cast block - would you buy one.?
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:46:09 am »
After pm'ing Big Jay a while back about the RC big block, APE is thinking about having some reproduced if enough people were interested.
If they were available would you buy one.?

Follow me on Instagram - thelumpycam

Follow me on FB - The Lumpy Cam

Instagram - LUMPY CAM MOTORCYCLES
FB - LUMPY CAM Motorcycles

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: RC Eng cast block - would you buy one.?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:09:43 am »
Didn't Mike already have some nice big blocks made and available to us??

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:16:42 am »
Yes MR has billet blocks available....I'm just putting it out there for discussion and don't want to step on anyone's toes especially MR and Jay toes, they are great supporters of sohc Hondas and contributors to the forum.
Just throwing it out there.....

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:19:21 am »
The RC block is mainly for drag racing, not enough proper fins for cooling on the street, I've see a couple of cracked cast RC blocks here on the forum, If it were me, and it was for the street, I'd go for the billet block every time, Its far superior......Thats why i have one.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:04:57 am »
Thanks for the reply retro, that is the sort of input that I was hoping for.
As you said, the lack of cooling fins might be an issue on the street.
With the MR block being $1500usd, currently thats close to 2k aud with our much lower exchange rate, I think I'll give sleeving a standard block  to 970cc a go first.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:11:50 am by hotdog »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:39:12 am »
Thanks for the reply retro, that is the sort of input that I was hoping for.
As you said, the lack of cooling fins might be an issue on the street.
With the MR block being $1500usd, currently thats close to 2k aud with our much lower exchange rate, I think I'll give sleeving a standard block  to 970cc a go first.

I have no sleeves and Nikasil bores in my billet block, much lighter and better cooling.. 8) ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline NalleyRacing

• Hot Shot
  • 1972 Cb750K dragbike Instagram: Drag_racer736
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:35:40 am »
I like the idea of reproducing the RC blocks for drag racing. I just saw a JMR Billet head in person for the first time over the weekend and was truly impressed with the quality. These heads are designed to dissipate heat which would be great in any application

That being said, the only downside I can see to these is having to choose between a couple options for bore sizing. If APE decided to reproduce the RC block It would be great to have a few more options to choose from. Including stock bore if possible!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:37:38 am by TreyAllen »

Offline cbr954

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:22:59 am »
We would have to see how the price would be on the cast RC block but I would think may be a more affordable option over a billet block.  I think it would make a nice option for the drag racing crowd that doesnt need the extra fins that a street bike needs.  I would be in for one depending on what the price ended up being.
03 CBR954RR, 72 750 chopper(970cc
F2 head), 2017 CRF450R, 2001 CR250R, 72 CB500, 79 XR250, 04 CRF50,70's soon to be rebuilt cb750 drag bike.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:20 am »
72mm.
No problem.
Mr Rieck has got 'em.

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
Yes, potentially.  I have what some would call an unhealthy interest with vintage RC parts(right Mike ;D).   Mike Rieck's billet big block certainly is the more sophisticated item, designed for big bore motors that actually require road race level cooling, very likely better than even the factory bore in the factory cylinder bank.  My interest in RC cast blocks is simply for the RC Engineering history and old school nostalgia of it all.  They were designed to hold in cylinder pressures that FAR exceed any streetable power output, as in record breaking nitro/Hilborn injected superchanged motors!  They were clearly made to hold these pressures for a fairly short amount of time heat cycle wise, as they were designed for drag strip use.

Cylinder cooling consequently wasn't a major concern, the 5 cast in "fins" I'm sure were more for looks than anything.  That said, using an RC cast block with lightweight modern forged pistons that have a friction coating on the skirts and perhaps a heat barrier coat on the tops, along with a good oil cooler, would likely help make up for the cast cylinder blocks shortfall in the cooling department if used on the street.  I've looked into this for a while, as this is what I hope to do with my original RC cast block.

I am interested to know whether Big Jay could produce them at a price point that is both enticing to buyers and profitable enough to be worthwhile doing ???.

George

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »
Yes really depends on price point.. I would probably. Try one if  the price is somewhat reasonable.
Just don't get stuck in traffic..big oil cooler... I think 1000 cc may work nice.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 06:11:22 pm »
Big Jay did give me a ballpark price for the block with sleeves that he would like to keep them under. This would also keep it worthwhile for APE to manufacture. The price is not for me to post here though, thats for Big Jay to post/reveal if he wants to chime in...

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:08 pm »
I've convinced Jay to do the 1000 kit and the Crower rods in the past. All it took was Jay and 8 of each. The Crower rod project convinced Carrillo to use the less expensive bolts which are STILL over kill on 750's. I believe Jay told me that he had considered doing the blocks but since Mike is doing his he questioned is there a market/need for his?!

I don't wish to cut into Mike's stuff but if there were a market for both that could be satisfied why not.... 

Boils down to price point and higher tech vs lower tech. Whats your bag?! 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)