Author Topic: clutch  (Read 1430 times)

Offline kezz32

clutch
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:25:34 am »
hi guys
i have just had a prob with my clutch, jerky operation and bit of a rattle, found that the fingers on the back plate badly cracked. in my search through my spares i found that there is two lengths of centre a short 40mm between pressure face and end of spines and long 43mm.
i also found that on the long centre they had a plain plate that consisted of a double plate, two riveted together that was positioned in the middle of the plates. My question is do i need the double plate on a short centre there appears to be room for it?
thanks kezz

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1dlpse45cc1t8nfgvpcl3dq3k1&/topic,60973.0.html
Re: clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:40:03 pm »
i have removed the duppel plate on my 550 and put a ekstra set normal plates inn instead.....but think you have to machine a bit to get Space for a doubel set normal plates in the big hub...(last plate( auter) are speciel on the big hub)...vho are a later 550-77/78 hub
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:46:42 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:11:06 pm »
Which engine are we talking about? The 750 had 2 basic set ups with the latter having the double metal plate. The earlier can be converted to the double disc to take up slack/rattle.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
Your better off without it in the chair Kezz.
It, s only there to reduce clutch rattle.

If you can get hold of the longer centre and run an extra plate you'll have a better setup.

We've found that it pays to adjust the "freeplay" after every run as well.

The four bolt clutches struggle to cope on sidecars.
Might be worth while converting to a six bolt unit at some stage.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:46:36 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline kezz32

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:12 am »
hay Bear
do you mean run extra plain or corked plate . I have 6 plain and 7 cork. start with cork and finish with wider cork, cycle x, HD plates and springs. I do have a longer centre.. where dose the 6 bolt unit originally come from?.
I had a good run first time out , apart from clutch problem..

Jerry
motor is k6 casings with mixed internals, high comp pistons ,Daytona cam..82 bhp
thanks guys

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:11:59 am »
I'll try to get back with a couple basket pictures for comparison in the next day. Gotta actually work for a change  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bear

• Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:20 pm »
hay Bear
do you mean run extra plain or corked plate . I have 6 plain and 7 cork. start with cork and finish with wider cork, cycle x, HD plates and springs. I do have a longer centre.. where dose the 6 bolt unit originally come from?.
I had a good run first time out , apart from clutch problem..

If you have the later center you should be able to run eight fibers.
Give it a try, if you have enough free play at the actuator your sweet.

We have tried every brand of plate known to man but stick to the OEM plates these days.

As I mentioned before,  adjust free play at the actuator after every race and remove and inspect after every meeting.
At the risk of laboring the point, clutches are the Achilles heal for these motors in a sidecar.

The six bolt clutch I mentioned can be sourced from an early GL1000.

How about giving us a run down on your last outing?

Cheers,
Brian

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:32:08 pm »
Mix and match huh?

Which basket do you have?

Earlier shorter on the left. No double metal plate standard on it. Later style longer K7/K8/F2/F3 WITH the double metal disc in the center.

Now with all that said you CAN use the double plate on the earlier shorter basket to eliminate the rattle it has. It's a "Field Fix" that Honda came up with until the update with the Gold Wing double center plate. It's posted on the site somewhere. You remove one of the friction discs. I MAY have it but Photobucket jumbled up about 700 pictures I have loaded.

Offline kezz32

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:55:20 pm »
hay
I think I have the longer basket, I managed to get 8 fibre plates in the basket with the longer hub.
will fit cover and see what play I have when I fit motor in chassis.. gota wait for some bushes for front swing arm , to fit wheels , then fit I can fit motor.

First race at Mallory park last week, I took my wife Jen for a ride on sat ,run motor in 6/7k revs came 5/7 .then on sunday with Bill on board took it to 8k and gota 2nd with good lap times 1.80 .. (quick f2s lap at .56) so pleased with that and felt real good. next meet is pre tt iom. gota wait 4 weeks.

Bear.. are there any mods required to fit the GL clutch , will I need the GL basket?

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 02:22:10 pm »
Stock clutch 77/78 K or 77/78 F with the longer basket:

6 regular friction discs
1 'other'  friction disc for the end
5 regular metal discs
1 double metal disc

Sounds like you're having fun!

Offline bear

• Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »

Bear.. are there any mods required to fit the GL clutch , will I need the GL basket?

Yep you need the basket.

From memory there is a fair bit of stuffing around Kezz but it's worth the effort in my opinion.

I have one on the shelf here somewhere.  I will pull it out and work out what we had to do to convert it.

We don't run them anymore. I went back to the four bolt so that l could use a "locker clutch".

Back to the clutch at hand.
After the initial adjustment, take it for a run if you can.
You will need to re a just after you run it through a heat cycle, otherwise you may find yourself with a dragging clutch.

Cheers,
Brian