Author Topic: Custom bored factory round top carbs  (Read 6142 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Custom bored factory round top carbs
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:49:52 pm »
To keep thread drift to a minimum on other threads, I just started a dedicated bored carbs thread here.  Post away:

Some earlier post and paste stuff:

For those who are interested, I did these as an experiment in the interest in potentially using them in my 1000cc motor that MRieck is finishing up.  Frank(754) was kind enough to measure out the vintage factory bored carbs he has as I was looking for a starting point.  After doing a bit of measuring, I settled on a not going out quite as wide as Frank's carbs, but kept the same increased height and the same radius in the corners.  There is very minimal material on the throat wall sides for a good seal against the barrel on this set as it is so I didn't want to push my luck by going all out to match Frank's set.  Full disclosure, this is the first set of carbs I have bored and besides the careful hand blending in of the milled throats and polishing the result of the throat shape nothing was altered internally.  Below are the dimensions of Frank's set, a factory set, and the bored set that I did. 

Hopefully they will perform well, if nothing else shed some light on bored factory carbs potential ...or lack there of??? 

These are the dimensions of the throat on Frank's(754s) bored carbs:
 25.3mm wide
 30.8 mm tall
  7.93 mm corner radius (5/16" corner radius) or 5/8" end mill
 total area 725.31 square mm
equivalent to 30.4mm throat

Factory specs measure out to:  (same numbers for both K0 carbs and rest of rack throttle round top carbs, measured both)
 23.95mm wide
 30.57 mm tall
  11.975mm corner radius (15/32" corner radius) or 15/16" end mill
total area 608.95 square mm
equivalent to 27.6mm throat(less than the "28mm")

These carbs are:
24.6mm wide
30.8mm tall
 7.93mm corner radius,  (5/16" corner radius) or 5/8" end mill, not totally flat bottomed
total area 670.22 square mm
equivalent to 29.4mm throat

I can't say that I'm looking for business here.  I did the one set as an experiment on a Bridgeport the hard way.  If I end up doing more, I will make up some far more elaborate jigging and guide patterns with a 3 1/2" cutting length milling bit so I can do the milling part much easier for the same accuracy.  To be ideal IMHO, it still requires hand blending between the new machined bores and the taper to round transition on both ends, plus smoothing up the protrusions a bit, then wet sanding and polishing out the whole throat area from front to back like I did on that set.  The amount of time I spent on this one set was fairly ridiculous, not a money maker for sure ::).  Unfortunately, for the hourly rate I charge at work, I could buy a mint set of Webers on RC manifolds for less than the hourly time it took me to do these carbs.

I was really hoping Bill was going to be able to Dyno test and tune these carbs against a set of stockers, but he ran out of time.  When MRieck is done with my 1000 motor, perhaps I will steal the carbs back and do a dyno comparison with stockers with my engine.  I may well do a few more sets at some point, but can't commit to anything at this point.

I do like the understated sleeper aspect of them... ;)

I'll post more later, but have to go for a run with the wife and the new puppy.

George
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:12:59 pm by gschuld »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: Custom bored factory round top carbs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:23:19 pm »
Thanks George... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:59:32 pm »
Man do those ever look good.... Nice work..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
The first image is from the December 1973 Big Bike magazine "Build you own 1000cc Honda" article that was written exclusively about RC Engineering, with photos and content coming directly from RC's shop.

The second image is from the well known March 1976 Big Bike magazine "Building a 1000cc Honda"  leading with: "COBRA Two grand worth of instant 11.0 quarter mile times"

I have corresponded with Russ Jr a bit on the subject and he distinctly remembers Byron Hines experimenting with modifying(boring) factory round top carbs to see what he could get out of them on bigger hipo motors.  They offered the service, even though the RC catalogs I have did not mention it, for $95.  In comparison, a complete RC manifold Weber setup, in 1973, cost $299.

Webers were clearly the carbs of choice for RC Engineering(in drag racing anyway) with all their in house record breaking dragsters running on Gas (Hilborns went on for Nitro work).  All the early single and double engine bikes, the Vance and Hines Double, the Triple, etc. ...ALL ran Webers.  So as far as all out performance on the drag strip is concerned on race gas,  Webers were THE choice.

That said, Russ Jr. mentioned that Byron was pretty impressed with how the modified factory carbs performed, even in strong big bore motors.  Not quite as good as Webers, but not TOO far behind.

I'd LOVE to know the exact details of what Byron Hines did to the factory carbs.  I don't think any paperwork exists documenting these things. 

Kickonly849,

That is a very good question and I have wondered about the same thing.  Based on my limited research, I would have assumed that a potential weak link for bored factory carbs would be a reduced signal and potential mixture quality at the lower rpm ranges because of the reduced Venturi effect that you mentioned.  Strictly theory though.  It's one of the things that I am very keen on finding out with a back to back chassis dyno session between these carbs(tuned well) and a factory set of carbs(tuned well) on a strong performance motor(like Benton's Cobra motor).  All we can go by at this point regarding these carbs is Bill's minimal first hand experience.  He reported that the carbs ran strong from off the line all the way up the rpm range, with no flat spots or hesitation anywhere.  He seems to think that they might even idle a bit smoother(not sure why, who knows).  Well on a basic level, his Cobra motor ran an 11.1 on tuned up factory bore carbs and it's a fair bet that the motor wanted more cfm that what stockers had to offer. 

On Bill's cobra engine, my guess is that they would be slightly(if any) under stock carbs pulling from low rpm, but start pulling away convincingly from say 4500 on up.  I would expect, again just guessing here, the percentage improvement over stock carbs would increase as the flow needs(engine size/headwork/cam) increase.

For example, again just guessing here:

An 836 with a mild port job, and a modest performance cam would likely see some benefit from bored carbs over stock at the top end, but barely measurable.

A 1080, on the other hand, with fully ported heads, big valves, 327 cam, etc, etc.  will simply WANT more airflow than factory carbs can deliver.  The drag race 1080 motor is asking for a MINIMUM of 35% more airflow than a factory dead stock 736cc motor at full song.  Offering the engine some more carb cfms, as long as the mixture and signal is comparable, should allow the motor to breathe better, charge the cylinders better, and produce more power.   Those bored carbs will NOT be able to flow 35% more air than factory carbs with only a 7% increase in total throat volume and a smoother blend/polish.  Chances are that the bored carbs will still be under carbed for a really big powerful motor, just not sure where the cut off is...

RCs own statements suggests that a 900cc performance motor is about the limit for a set of stock carbs to really "keep up", with performance being more and more restricted as the motors get bigger, more powerful.

It's not easy to put a clear set of numbers on a break off point on factory carbs though.  For example a stock bore road race motor with a Mike Rieck stage 4 head, Yoshi rods, 12.5:1 compression lightweight pistons, lightened crank, huge road race cam, etc that was set up to run 13,000+ rpm needs huge amount of carb cfms just like a big bore 9,500 rpm motor.

As I have mentioned earlier, this is an experiment.  I'd like to document by chassis dyno, where stock carbs really start to fall off performance wise.  And hopefully we can find out if the bored carbs that I did can perform better, and by how much, in a large bore motor.

I have a pretty healthy 1000cc motor coming together.  When it's ready, and if Bill isn't better by then to dyno them on the Cobra Girl where the bored carbs currently reside, I'll make an effort to do it myself and document it.

If boring carbs turns out to be a viable option, I have no problem with others taking the information and specs gathered and setting up to do a run of bored carbs.  Maxibore already offers the service. 

http://www.x-pipe.com/motorcycle.html 

I spoke with Monty Campbell about 2 years ago while researching them a bit.  He has offered the service since the late 70s I think.  His claims are very bold, but I have search far and wide and have found little in the way of first hand feedback, good or bad.  And I have never seen his handywork first hand, so officially, I have no useful opinion regarding his carb work.  He certainly was not open, at least when I spoke with him, to give any details regarding what his bore jobs entail(fair enough, it is his business) so I had nothing concrete to go on.  Frank (754) luckily did have a set of bored carbs, unknown who did them, and measured his for me.  Thanks Frank!  You helped get the ball rolling ;)

George

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:29:08 pm by gschuld »

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:45:10 pm »
Man do those ever look good.... Nice work..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jdtGNIPJqqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X4VZ8Z94_zU

Thanks, they sound pretty good too.  The RC Cobra spec motor and the RC sidewinder race exhaust ...might ...have something to do with that nice sound though.  LOL

George
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:49:24 pm by gschuld »

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:00:46 pm »
Pics of them assembled.  Not only did Bill Benton go first class with the assembly, but he took the soda blasted bare carb bodies I sent him and painted them up in a nice silver (though he would have gone with gold for color if I hadn't intervened ::)........ ;D

If they perform half as well as they are pretty 8), life would be good.  Get better Billy ....uhh  ...we need more data. :)

George

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:48:54 pm »
I don't know what pulls from the bottom means in dragracing.
I don't think my 836 was ever lower than 4500-5000 or higher than that through the whole run..
( which makes me wonder about guys having trouble with Barnet clutches,  cuz I cannot see a stock one surviving the high rpm controlled slipping off the line..hundreds of times. The only way I could see it surviving is if you dump the clutch for the holeshot.)

You should carefully measure the stock volume on stock bore carbs,while it might reach 28 mm one way it isn't a circle...neither are the bored ones... But that shape likely has more volume than if it were the stock shape but bigger.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »
K thread George. Frank, I meant they didn't bog / hesitate off the line. I'll post a pic of plugs later. Don't recall the idle statement, but they idle ok. Still plan on a back to back comparison against stock. We gotta know,  Bill ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »
Those carbs look great!

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 10:28:23 am »
You should see them in person  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:44:24 pm »
George I would be happy to perform some back to back flow bench comparisons.  ;D

Offline Badluckhonda

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 02:43:21 pm »
What kind of paint did you use on those bill?

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:16:50 pm »
George I would be happy to perform some back to back flow bench comparisons.  ;D

TurboD,   I like your bike 8).  So ...you have a flow bench?  Tell me more.... ;)

I have considered custom cutting individual carb bodies in two or three different throat volumes, from mild to wild for flow testing purposes...  I have already cut up one sacrificial lamb carb body intentionally so I can see how much meat I had to work with before milling the finished set that I bored(the ones on Cobra Girl).  That leaves three odd duck left over carb bodies from that set just sitting there for further experiments...

754,    Regarding low rpm concerns I was really interested in the streetability end of the spectrum rather than the performance on the drag strip.

George

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 06:05:21 pm »
There are thickness. Testers that are non destructive..i think the Mitutoyo is called an mu tester or sonic  tester.
No need to cut them if you have access to one, plus you can check thickness before you start.

The set I have is nor polished,just milled.
 Generally you give up some lowend by going bigger carbs... But may not be too noticeable.when I was younger my bike spent no time down there..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 07:13:05 pm »

TurboD,   I like your bike 8).  So ...you have a flow bench?  Tell me more....

George
[/quote]

Thank you, yes I do. I currently have two. I can test anything from small engine stuff to decent auto heads. I have worked with everything from gokarts to big block Chevys.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 07:17:14 pm »
K thread George. Frank, I meant they didn't bog / hesitate off the line. I'll post a pic of plugs later. Don't recall the idle statement, but they idle ok. Still plan on a back to back comparison against stock. We gotta know,  Bill ;D

George,

Bill was being selfish, he wouldn't let me borrow them for my bike. Lol.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 04:23:44 pm »

George,

Bill was being selfish, he wouldn't let me borrow them for my bike. Lol.

So now the truth comes out ::)  ....;D     

TurboD,

Perhaps at some point I could send you a few things to test... ;)

George

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 05:48:02 am »
Why not go to a track rental and make a few passes [or lots of ] with different sets of carbs and different jets to get the best 60' times,1000'times, and the 1320' time. A flow bench is a great tool and a dyno gives you facts but do you think maybe Byron runs those V-TWINS down the 1320' to see if " Efforts equal Results " Brownsburg is real close to the track at INDY. Test on Wednesday run and win on Saturday and Sunday !!!!!

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 06:27:27 am »
Pops I'm not sure who you are addressing, I figure its me because I'm in Indiana. yes Brownsburg is only a couple of minutes to ORP, I live in Anderson, right at an hour to ORP (which sucks along with NHRA, but that's for another day). I generally go the Muncie Dragway on Wednesdays for testing. Muncie is hosting 4 Friday night all bike Grudge Style racing this year.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 04:02:56 pm »
The interest in these carbs isn't just for drag racing, I think the dyno is the best place for a rounded assessment of what these carbs can do.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 04:54:00 pm »
The interest in these carbs isn't just for drag racing, I think the dyno is the best place for a rounded assessment of what these carbs can do.... ;)

Most definitely, I feel the same way.  It takes all the track associated variables away...   A dyno test will happen one way or the other. Just a mater of time.

Yes I know there are thickness testers available, but I had a damaged unusable carb body sitting there anyway.  Plus, I'm old school.

George

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:36 am »
TURBO D : We rented National Trail Raceway [ COLUMBUS ] most Wednesday a few years back and many bike came for the ALL day test + tune and stayed to run Wednesday night race [ DID THAT FOR 10 YEARS ] , You must be a DASH FOR CASH Tim Mills racer from Muncie [ MAN THOSE WERE THE DAYS ] and I was just saying when you test at the track I can load my TAG SYSTEM COMMAND-AIR prediction system with track data for the weekend races. On race day you might get two time trial and you need more than that to get a all day data for " WHAT'S MY DIAL IN ". Ohio and Indiana had the best turn out for IDBA OVER THE YEARS and Robin Ray was a fine drag racers. If you remember MSP brought the DYNO to the PRO-STAR races in that big 77' long transporter so racers could get a print out of their bikes true track side readings. I stay in Avon when I'm at FAST LANE CYCLES on Gasoline Alley in Indy and have spent many days at IRP with folks from Brownsburg.

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 06:46:42 am »
Ha Ha Yes I used to go to Tim's Dash for Cash races, "No Doubt about it" as he would say every 2 minutes over the PA system. Tim passed about a year ago.

Yes I know the MSP bunch, We used to do some street racing and battling it out on the dyno at MSI in the "Brute Horsepower competition" back in the day with Joe M in Daytona during bike week for a number of years, That's where I originally met him back around 91-92.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:59:58 am by TurboD »

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=c5cqfhv35p4l237ke9ocdefv96&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 08:04:01 am »
mine idea is to only take material aut in the top area,,then the venturi effekt are strong at half closed trottel..so hold the orginal diameter,,or take just a bit.. in half bottom area..and vide aut in top area as mutch it can ..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 04:01:27 pm »
strynboen,

Yes, that can be done.  If I understand you correctly, you suggest keeping bottom end of the throat bore at or near stock dimensions until near half throttle, then widen at the top.  I did not go as wide as I possibly could, trying to stay a little conservative with regards to having a good seal on the throat sides. 

If dyno testing shows a significant drop in signal at the lower rpm ranges, I may experiment with keeping the bottom end smaller and going wider than my first set at the top, possibly pulling a tighter radius at the top corners to help make up the difference with the smaller bottom.  The volume difference between 736cc and 1000cc is much greater than the extra 7% total throat volume increase with my bored carbs.  My guess is that the 1000cc, higher compression, ported head, bigger cam, will simply WANT whatever extra it can get from the extra 7% throat area, right from down low on up. 

I would think that doing the boring in a tapered style like you suggest would be more beneficial to smaller engines(say ...836 and under).  The bigger and more powerful the engine, the more I would expect the constant full with bore and extra height maximizing the throat volume would be more ideal.  It's all academic until there is BOTH good dyno and track data.

George