Author Topic: Ignition options for a big bore streetable dragibke  (Read 15474 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Ignition options for a big bore streetable dragibke
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:28:57 pm »
I'd like to start a dedicated thread on ignition systems for high output motors.  This subject is not my strong suit.

My personal interest (currently) is regarding a 1000cc motor, 315 or 327 cam, RC race ported head(reworked by MRieck ;)), JE 10:1 compression 71mm pistons, Golden Rods, etc.  It's going in a lightweight 4130 chassis, fat rear street tire, 375lbs all up ...or less ;).  Will only be interested in ET Street(street legal, DOT tires, no wheelie bars) at the track, and the track is NOT my main focus.  It's more of an excuse to occasionally visit other card carrying members of the RC Engineering fan club ;D ;D.

I will be retaining my alternator, using a later 70s alternator as it's about 2 lbs lighter than the early ones.  I will have onboard starting, and I'm leaning heavily toward having Paul Cashio build me one of his DOHC 800W 900 based super starters and run it off a single generous CCA 12v battery to keep everything simple and all on the same system.  The package needs to be "fully streetable".  Let's say 90% street, 10% race.

There is both old school and modern ignition options.  Lets start with modern:

First there is the transistorized ignition mod from Hondaman:

"I make these Transistorized Ignitions specifically for the SOHC4 bikes, but they also will run any points-driven, battery-and-coil ignition system from 6 volts to 24 volts (including a car!). These leave your points in place as triggers, operating transistors to switch the coils.  This makes the points last a VERY long time, without adjustment. It also gives you 100% "backup" in the event you ever destroy this unit: you can unplug the wires from the points and coils and plug them back together again in about 2 minutes' time, putting you back on the road. If you'd like to see the whole development thread, search for "Transistorized Ignition" and it will take you to 2006 when we developed it here."

Then there is the popular Dyna S. 

Product Overview : Sportbikes - Dyna S Ignition System

Dyna S Ignition System is a complete self-contained electronic ignition system built with the latest state-of-the-art engineering. This is the same ignition used by top racers over the past 2 decades. The Dyna S is completely housed behind the ignition cover and uses a magnetic rotor with the original spark advancer, so the factory advance curve is maintained.

The venerable Dyna S ignition System is a time proven solution to the basic ignition needs of the vintage muscle bike. As a stand alone ignition the Dyna S is the standard of performance and reliability

Had some teething problems with some people, but most seem to report them to be very dependable.   They replace the points, and can either be a stand alone or run in conjunction with the Dyna 2000 box. 

The Dyna 2000 box

Product Overview

The Dyna 2000 for four cylinder engines represents a breakthrough in motorcycle ignition flexibility. The Dyna 2000 system consists of a state-of-the-art microprocessor controlled ignition module along with an adjustable Dyna dual sensor crank trigger. For the first time you can actually set the ignition timing to what you want to maximize engine performance. A number of different advance curve modes and a broad range rev limiter let you tailor the ignition to your needs. Dynatek has added the ability to custom program the Dyna 2000 Sportbike ignition via a personal computer. Like our programmable Harley-Davidson and Dyna FS ignitions the Dyna 2000 can be programmed with a custom advance curve, retard mode curve and RPM limit using the optional accessory curve maker kit. There are also 2 user programmable RPM outputs that can be used to activate a shift lightor other RPM activated device.

I believe that the Dyna 4000 box requires a different digital sensor than the Dyna S.  The 4000 has more features

Product Overview : Dyna 4000 Super Pro Ignition System

Dyna 4000 Super Pro Drag Race Ignition is a high energy inductive ignition designed to meet the needs of the professional drag racer. The DYNA 4000 includes a built-in two stage rev limiter that is used for launch control and over rev protection.

Dyna 4000 Super Pro Features:
◾Uses the DYNA Pro Series Crank Trigger as a pickup. The DYNA 4000 Super Pro is simply connected between the trigger and the ignition coils.
◾Automatically shuts off when the engine is not running, even if the ignition power is left on. This prevents battery drain and coil overheating.
◾Built in diagnostic circuitry and an indicator LED that can be used to static time the motor.
◾Must be used with DYNA DC9-1, DC9-2, or DC9-4 coils for proper operation.
◾Available as both a dual output unit for single plug per cylinder engines and as a quad output unit for dual plug per cylinder engines.
◾Available for both in line four cylinder and Harley Davidson engines.
◾The DYNA 4000 Super Pro is housed in an easily mounted case, approximately 6" x 3 3/4" x 1 1/4".

I know some are using the MSD MC-3 or MC-4 ignition boxes along with the Dyna S.  One large benefit seems to be if you have a Dyna 2000 or 4000 failure, you are out of commission.  If a MSD MC3/4 dies, it can be turned off and the bike will run off the Dyna S as a stand alone with the coils.  MSD ignition boxes seem to have a very good reputation for reliability.

Old School:

First there is factory points ignition.  These can be run with more powerful coils like the 3ohm Accels, Dyna, Williams, etc.  3ohm coils can be taxing on the charging system, but have been known to work if that is taken into consideration and dealt with.  Dyna 3ohm coils are said to produce in excess of 30,000 volts and can run off points as well as Dyna S or other ignitions.  Other than points wear, this seems to be a decent basic option for a powerful street motor.  No rev limiter or launch control that would be so handy at the track, but a solid SIMPLE option.

Current wisdom suggests not using my ARD magneto :(.  The biggest drawback seems to be the fact that the timing is set at full advance, all the time.  This makes starting them more difficult, kickbacks are common, and full advanced timing isn't exactly ideal for idling or low end on the street.  Doable, but not ideal.  As a side note it DOES fire only one cylinder at a time and the spark increases as the rpm increases.  This is not a "wasted spark" ignition.  Another feature it has going for it is that it is self exiting, as in no battery is needed.  Convenient for a non self starter drag bike trying to save pounds.  As I'll be running an alternator, full sized battery, and an onboard starter anyway, this takes up much of the ARD magneto's "bare bones" advantages...

Then there is the RC distributor.  Based on a 4 cylinder VW distributor, it also fires one cylinder at a time, and runs off a single coil.  Has points, can throw a big single spark, and has adjustable advance.  Rare, old school, but not adaptable(or easily adaptable) to any modern desirable drag bike features like launch control or rev limiter.

There are probably others that I am missing(Hunt magneto, etc), but this is a start.

Some random questions:

Is there any significant advantage to a non wasted spark ignition on these motors?

Does a "Multiple Spark Discharge" type of ignition make a big difference on these motors?

How much disadvantage is there performance wise and "streetability" wise with a full time full advance ignition like the ARD magneto?

How big of a deal is it to have a rev limiter on a high performance bike?  Safety factor?

Is an rpm limiting launch control a huge deal at the track?

I am open to comments and experience, as I always want to learn, and perhaps others can learn as well.

Thanks,

George

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:35:56 pm by gschuld »

Offline cbr954

• Hot Shot
Re: Ignition options for a big bore streetable dragibke
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:39:18 pm »
I am currently building a drag bike with a 1026 motor.  Going to be running a MSD MC-1 box triggered by a Dyna S.  With the MSD box I can change rev limits and plug in a 2 step box.  The box will also allow me to kill the ignition with the sir shifter.  It will be a learning curve for me so dont have actual first hand experience with it yet but the previous owner used this setup with great success.
03 CBR954RR, 72 750 chopper(970cc
F2 head), 2017 CRF450R, 2001 CR250R, 72 CB500, 79 XR250, 04 CRF50,70's soon to be rebuilt cb750 drag bike.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 07:45:09 pm »
I say for Street ET you shouldn't need anything more elaborate than a Dyna 2000. Use one of the preprogrammed curves or dial your own plus it will protect your engine with the rev limiter. Has a few more features that you probably won't/can't use. The shift light might come in handy.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:23:54 pm »
cbr954,

MSD mc1  modern and old school 8).    8)I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.  I will be foot shift only, no air for me. 

Jerry,

The Dyna 2000 seems to be the logical choice for the features it gives and the reasonable price point is a bonus.

My only significant reservation is that I am a troglodyte.  Technology and I don't seem to get along easily.  I'm not against it, it's just a hard sell and one more thing to try to hide in a bike where there is no where to really hide anything easily.   It also fights with my genuine interest in keeping my stuff as "vintage" as possible.  I will get over it... ::)

Regardless, I want to hear more regarding other people's ignition experiences and what they are using.

George

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:30:26 pm »
You want try vintage try maxi-dwell,when I sold my chassis with my Andrews coils, i thought I would be in trouble...but it just seemed to feel the same.. Strange. Reasonable cost.. With sleeper looks.
Pellerines bike with Webers and ARD , starts good. Maybe a primer squirt when cold will solve that problem.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:57:32 pm »
I'd go with the Dyna S for street use with Dyna green coils. I've been 8.80's in the 1/4 mile with this simple set up.

If you need a rev limiter, try the DRL400 from Dynatek. It has a low and high side limiter. I think they also have a high side only box- can't remember the number. Both are a simple hook up to the negative terminals on the coils, a ground and a power wire. If the rev limiter goes out, it won't affect running the bike at all.

Glad you decided to stay away from the ARD. Keep it simple and practical. Good choice on getting Paul to do a super starter. Odds are he will still recommend a 24volts starting system for the high compression engine. It only goes to 24 volts when the solenoid is activated. Otherwise, the bike runs on 12 volts only. You just need to charge the smaller "booster" battery manually from time to time. I'd use an 8 and 4 cell antigravity or ballistic battery combinations. Very small, light weight and powerful. Those 2 batteries will probably fit in the same space as one stock battery.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:02:42 am »
There is also the new optical trigger ignitions from C5 Ignitions. A variant of the unit sold by CycleX. A few members have recently installed them and are unusually impressed with them. 4 different pre-loaded curves, programmable if you desire, and includes coils, wires and timing plate. Slightly less than a Dyna complete pack.

http://www.c5ignitions.com/motorcycle-ignitions.html
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:25:47 am »
Ask Scottly about his Gerex...if you like what you hear, once again, good luck finding one. :)   ...for what you are trying to do, my vote is for the ARD or RC distributor. ;D
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:48:23 am »
I have to agree with Frank. Go with a basic Dyna S and coils and be done with it. I am always amazed at people who have to spend a ton of money just to fool themselves into thinking they have a better performing system.

The ignition requirements for these old bike is pretty minimal. Like Frank, I too have went pretty fast on a street type bike 8.60s @ 160 using a basic Dyna S and STOCK coils. I have one KZ that makes 250HP with a completely bone stock factory ignition.

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 05:18:55 am »
To show I practice what I preach. Lol

My latest Honda Project.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:28 am »
Good thinking George, I'll swap you a modern state of art , non wasted, fully reprogrammable, multi spark ignition for your old beat up ARD,  ;) ;) ;) ;D    nah I wouldnt do it to you mate unless you loved a challenge. I'm lumbered with a lemon. :'(

I think all the ignitions options tossed up here  are OK and tend to suit different applications, Ive been looking for a new system and cant make my mind up between the MSD and the dyna 2000.   I like the features of the dyna, suits my simple application but I must say the complex MSD has way to many features for a country boy like me but what has my attention is its multiple spark, they promote the fact with big overlap cams low RPM  fluffy richness the multiple spark makes a nice idle and low down throttle responce, my recent experience with the power arc unit would 100% endorse that claim, the big long multiple sparks really does make a difference in a bad rich enviroment.  I doubt my motor would have run without the mother of all sparks as the timing on each cylinder was radically different, the spark side of the system was good. I guess once again if its street only the MSD would be overkill in my mind but if I was competing at drags it would be my first choice, right now I'm still leaning towards the simpler dyna 2000,...... because it suits my simple needs.
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 07:01:40 am »
I told Dynatek I wouldn't bad mouth the Dyna2000 further if they fixed it for me...again...no go! I owned two, both were replaced. The idea is great, I ended up with two duds.

Trouble in paradise, that' s all.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 08:21:49 am »
90% street use points to keeping it simple. Since the consensus on this site seems to be to avoid the Dyna 2000, I'd take that option off the table.

I'm about to build a 1200cc Kaw street bike to have to cruise around town. although I have in my possession several Dyna 4000, an MSD ignition and a Pro Series 2 box, I'm sticking to the basic Dyna S and some Dyna coils to pump up the spark. The extra fire to burn the fuel will come from the coils anyway. The reliability of the Dyna S has been proven for years in both street and drag applications.  Again, if you think you need a rev limiter, find a good used DRL400 off ebay and you're done. I just traded one to Bill for a side cover and set of jets- yeah, he was happy for the one sided deal. Lol. We help each other out so I was happy too.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 08:24:29 am »
There is also the new optical trigger ignitions from C5 Ignitions. A variant of the unit sold by CycleX. A few members have recently installed them and are unusually impressed with them. 4 different pre-loaded curves, programmable if you desire, and includes coils, wires and timing plate. Slightly less than a Dyna complete pack.

Not only optical timing accuracy. Multi spark all the way to redline too.  ;D
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »

Dont get excited by C5 as its power arc,   you can have mine cheap.
I must say apart from the power arc faulty instructions the wasted two coil system worked for cycle x, it appears to me the 4 coil system is not sorted or I had the first sucker unit made.
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 04:32:04 pm »
I know its similar to the dyna-s, but a pamco is another option. I run 2 sets and have a third for another engine, they run great IMO.

Follow me on Instagram - thelumpycam

Follow me on FB - The Lumpy Cam

Instagram - LUMPY CAM MOTORCYCLES
FB - LUMPY CAM Motorcycles

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
Thanks for all the responses. 

Frank(Dragracer), Honestly, I do like the simple points/3ohm coils option.  A Dyna DRL-300 (single limiter) or DRL-400 (low and high limiter) can be hooked up as a stand alone?  It doesn't require a Dyna S, points will still be OK?   ???

I guess the bigger question I suppose is whether a rev limiter is "needed".  Frankly, I would only want a rev limiter if there was a justifiable concern of damaging the motor if I miss a shift and over rev badly.  I'd sure hate to make a quick mistake and hurt this "new" motor. 

On another note, I talked with Paul Cashio today, and I'll be sending him two starters to build into his "super starters" for me.  Though he preferred using his 24 volt system, he was confident that a strong 12v battery would be plenty for 1000cc at 10.5:1 compression.

George 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:55:39 pm by gschuld »

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
You want try vintage try maxi-dwell,when I sold my chassis with my Andrews coils, i thought I would be in trouble...but it just seemed to feel the same.. Strange. Reasonable cost.. With sleeper looks.
Pellerines bike with Webers and ARD , starts good. Maybe a primer squirt when cold will solve that problem.
[/quote
George,I will begin by saying that I know that there are more modern and maybe more precise ignitions,I have run a hm ign and electronic briefly with no problems.my ard came off an 849 kick only bike,I now run it on my stocker until I get my 836 with 315 done.I also run webers so a bit harder to start than a bone stock bike but not much.when I asked questions about the ard I was told that it would kick back at full advance when kicked,so I just had to find out for myself,the bike started after 3 kicks no problem!it has never kicked back and crisp throttle,will idle at a steady 1100 rpm when warmed up so no downside for me if a bike does not need roller cart or some other means to turn over because of compression issues why would the ard not work,I think billb kicks his cobra,and rc had more options for ign even back then but see what is on the triple,I like mech things,tried to trouble shoot a buddys hd and everything you trace leads to some sealed relay or electronic box so not for me,also this bike is just a hobby and not a main means of transport,ask johnno about the wonders of electronics!bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 06:35:17 pm »
I believe that the Dyna rev limiters are stand alone units. You might want to check the Street ET rules before trying to run one at a Cup event. Why would you want a 2 step? We're bracket racing. You want to launch from the same rpm each time you go down the track. Trusting your ear for launch rpms won't be as consistent as leaving at a set rpm electronically. There's some work on setting the amount of clutch lever travel after the low rpm setting is disabled by the switch in the clutch lever. As the lever comes out, the motor will start to rev up from the low rpm setting before the clutch engages. Clutch lever stops also will help reduce the clutch lever travel which improves your reaction times. Clutch friction disc wear also affects spring tension (lowers it) which introduces another variable during a racing season. Stiff clutch springs will make the clutch live longer, but will cause more ET variations than softer springs would. On the street, stiffer springs are the rule. You can lose with any simple combination. The more serious you get, the more complicated the process becomes.  ;)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 06:48:19 pm »

Not only optical timing accuracy. Multi spark all the way to redline too.  ;D

Optical pickups arn't new, they've come and gone in diferent guises for years.
I'm yet to be convinced on either their longevity or reliability.

I run big motors and big cylinder pressure, using DynaS pickups, single stage rev limiter and later OEM Honda coils.
Can't remember them ever letting me down.

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »
I believe that the Dyna rev limiters are stand alone units. You might want to check the Street ET rules before trying to run one at a Cup event. Why would you want a 2 step? We're bracket racing. You want to launch from the same rpm each time you go down the track. Trusting your ear for launch rpms won't be as consistent as leaving at a set rpm electronically. There's some work on setting the amount of clutch lever travel after the low rpm setting is disabled by the switch in the clutch lever. As the lever comes out, the motor will start to rev up from the low rpm setting before the clutch engages. Clutch lever stops also will help reduce the clutch lever travel which improves your reaction times. Clutch friction disc wear also affects spring tension (lowers it) which introduces another variable during a racing season. Stiff clutch springs will make the clutch live longer, but will cause more ET variations than softer springs would. On the street, stiffer springs are the rule. You can lose with any simple combination. The more serious you get, the more complicated the process becomes.  ;)

Jon, my only reason for pointing him towards a rev limiter of any type is to protect that big, expensive, engine in case of a high rpm mishap, exclusively. The DRL300 is high rpm only but seldom do they come up for sale used. On the other hand, the DRL400 with low and high rpm limiters are always popping up on a lot of sites for sale, cheap. You do not have to hook up the low rpm limiter but the high side will still work without the low being used. The DRL is a standalone as a limiter only- it is not an ignition igniter. It can be hooked up to momentarily "kill" the engine in an air shifter application.

The one i gave Bill is to be used on Cobra Girl for high side protection only- he wants to be sure in case of missing a shift, the bike will not bypass its livable rpm ceiling. I feel thats George's desire as well.

I truly see no reeason to use anything high dollar or complicated on a bike that will mainly see street use with very, very limited drag use. The concept is to get the job done in the most economical and reliable fashion by picking from off the shelf parts available to the general public. Electronic ignition and hot coils are the most practical package that i would use or recommend to anyone. Oh, and put weak springs on the stock advancer to get the timing advanced as quickly as possible when revving the engine.

Like Jon stated, two steps are not allowed in street ET, so the low side of the DRL400 would never be used. If you want to run it in Pro ET, there are adjustable clutch lever switches to allow the 2 step to release before the clutch comes in to help insure consistency. 

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 07:17:52 pm »
There have been more reports of Dyna S failures over the 5 years I've been on the forums than all other ignition systems combined. :o Evidently they got some bad parts for a while?

Johno, how many primary wires go the coil pack? Three or five? Jimmy, same question.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:46 pm »
BPellerine,

Thanks for the first hand info on the ARD.  I haven't exactly given up on the idea of running it at some point ;), but for now I will hold off and revisit it later on.

jweeks,

Here is the rub.  Unfortunately, bracket racing doesn't really interest me(running and ducking...)  it's a very sensible way to level a varied field of competitors, it's just not my thing.  Vintage high performance cb750 bikes in general make me happy.  I'd much prefer to go to an event where a bunch of vintage bikes can run for #$%*s and giggles, it's just not available.  I'm more interested in visiting all you crazy HiPo cb750 nutcases in one place, and the Man Cup seems to be THE venue.  ET Street is what most seem to be running, and that generally suits what I am building for my personal interest anyway. 

So it comes down to whether I am willing to commit to putting together all the ideal electronics and equipment best suited to run the same ET as consistently as possible since that is essentially what bracket racing is all about.  Then become a certified member of the geek squad to be competent enough to program and tune said equipment.  And then test, test, and test some more.  These things appear to be prerequisites to being reasonably competitive bracket racing in a low 11s high 10s capable 40yr old vintage dragster.  This November will be the exact 40th year Anniversary of my dragster frame. (build date November/75)  I'd like to celebrate it by bringing it down and running it ;D ...amongst friends.

Unfortunately, I will be woefully unprepared to be consistent enough ET wise to get very far in ET street competition.  Perhaps I can perfect some brilliant sand box baseball level psych out move on my opponents at the line to force them to screw up and let me win the round ;D  Hopefully, I will have enough test and tune runs before the event starts to have my fun.

I am certainly hoping to have the complete dragster ready by mid summer, and I intend to take it to a bunch of test and tune nights locally to test the bike's capability ...and mine.  I'd hate to embarrass myself in November and put on the wrong kind of show :o

George
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:36:17 pm by gschuld »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 07:38:16 pm »
George, the biggest bang for the buck option I've seen on this thread is the Pamco. Just my opinion. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »
Funny thing is I'm not necessarily all that concerned about the best bang for the buck.  My ARD and RC distributor hardly qualify.  I'm more interested in having a finished product that I'll be happy with.  My natural preference leans HEAVILY toward period correct OLD SCHOOL low tech, nothing more.  This, frankly, is what draws me to these vintage HiPo cb750s to begin with.   Don't get me wrong, I'm not against higher tech stuff, I'd just rather have a reasonably compelling reason to want to use it.

I'd be far more willing to relent with something like a basic stand alone high side rev limiter like the Dyna DRL-300 or 400.  A rev limiter is something low tech ignitions don't seem to offer.  Frank pegged it perfectly, to me it's simply a welcome safety valve to protect my engine ...from me ;) 

George
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:30:41 pm by gschuld »