Author Topic: Can I ask a CB450 question here?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
Can I ask a CB450 question here?
« on: May 15, 2015, 05:12:01 am »

If not delete me!

But you all race so much I figure someone here might be into both CB450's and SOHC/4's.

I have a CB450 Hansen replica race bike almost finished. Running 74mm pistons, Megacycle mild grind cams, ported and polished head, race oil pump with external lines to the cams, and a set of CR33 roundslides.

Now the fuel over here can be methanol for period racing, and I need to work out the jet sizes for the carbies - where do I start?

I have been Googling but to no avail - so I figured the brains trust here might point me in the right direction.

Or otherwise tell me to sod off.

Cheers,

Cliff
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Can I ask a CB450 question here?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 05:56:35 am »
That sounds like a fun project. No bright ideas from me but I wonder about if you posted the question on a race association forum somewhere there where guys have experience with methanol. On the other hand as you know there are plenty of guys on here that are full of surprises with their knowledge. If they don't know you'll get pushed in the right direction.

Just wanted to ask you to keep us updated, it's a race forum and yours is a 70's motorcycle, perfect fit to me.

Good luck

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 06:18:26 am »
As a starter it's thought to go twice the size of your gas jet.
Unlike gas/petrol running rich, it don't cause power to fall off but if it is to rich but you get the chance of blow past the rings and contaminating the oil.
Don't forget, all the openings in the carb have to be able to cope with the increased flow of fuel that is required also.
Also check all the seals in the tank and carb and make sure they can be used with methanol, also don't splash it on your paint work.
This info is from the late 60s early 70s when I ran my little Honda twin on it, I can't see the rules changing much though but feel free to get a second opinion. This info is for the use in any four stroke regardless of make, number of cylinders or where the cam is or how many.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:16 am »
Sam.............is that a Benly next to a Bently?  A very handsome photo 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:08:39 am »
It is a Benly Dennis. 1965 C95 motor, not quite the same as your CA95, but the untrained eye would struggle to tell them apart.
The car is a Ex police 3.8 Jaguar. Bike fitted in the trunk OK with the forks hanging out. hahaha

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:09 am »
lovely photo sam, post in the "inspiration" thread, i bet youll get a lot of followers :)

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:35:13 am »
As a starter it's thought to go twice the size of your gas jet.
Unlike gas/petrol running rich, it don't cause power to fall off but if it is to rich but you get the chance of blow past the rings and contaminating the oil.
Don't forget, all the openings in the carb have to be able to cope with the increased flow of fuel that is required also.
Also check all the seals in the tank and carb and make sure they can be used with methanol, also don't splash it on your paint work.
This info is from the late 60s early 70s when I ran my little Honda twin on it, I can't see the rules changing much though but feel free to get a second opinion. This info is for the use in any four stroke regardless of make, number of cylinders or where the cam is or how many.

Sam. ;)

Fantastic photo, Sam.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
lovely photo sam, post in the "inspiration" thread, i bet youll get a lot of followers :)

Early 1971 Yossef. 25 years old, black hair and beard. hahaha

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:50:31 am »
Cliff, it might be an idea to ask Brian with the sidecar, I think he runs methanol.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »
Cliff, what compression ratio are you running, methanol needs higher compression to run well, adding methanol to a relatively normal compression ratio engine doesn't really do much for added power at all ?  Methanol has a lot of inherent problems and its usually a good idea to get the bike set up well on normal fuel first. You'll consume twice as much fuel running methanol than fuel, Methanol absorbs moisture so the fuel system needs to be completely drained and flushed after every meeting, also you only buy as much fuel as you need at any given time, it doesn't store well, Methanol is also highly corrosive and eats gaskets and seals, another reason fuel systems must be flushed after every racing day is over and the engine is then run on petrol to flush it all out, a lot of people run additives to help  too. If you already knew this then ignore my post, if you didn't, consult someone who runs methanol on a regular basis and take their advice.  ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »
Cliff, it might be an idea to ask Brian with the sidecar, I think he runs methanol.

Sam. ;)

G'day Cliff, how have things been going?

Haven't caught up with you since Talbert.
I appreciated the visit.

It sounds like we might see you around the place on race days shortly.

I can't give you much info off the top of my head but I'm happy to make a couple of calls and get back to you.

I suggest you give Mick DeWith a call and book some dyno time when the bikes ready.
He has a wealth of experience setting up bikes running A.
And he's not to far from you from memory.

I will PM his number.

Give me a yell if I can help with anything else.

Cheers,
 Brian
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:39:12 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 04:32:35 am »

Sam. ;)

G'day Cliff, how have things been going?

Haven't caught up with you since Talbert.
I appreciated the visit.

It sounds like we might see you around the place on race days shortly.

I can't give you much info off the top of my head but I'm happy to make a couple of calls and get back to you.

I suggest you give Mick DeWith a call and book some dyno time when the bikes ready.
He has a wealth of experience setting up bikes running A.
And he's not to far from you from memory.

I will PM his number.

Give me a yell if I can help with anything else.

Cheers,
 Brian

Hey Brian - good to hear from you!

Got both your messages, thanks. I will give Mick a call next week.

Cheers,

CB750K2 (only slightly modified)