Author Topic: Bucket Handles for missing/broke cb400f tank filter-free  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
From not having a tank filter for 35 years, decided to put something that resembles one in. From not having any cash, wasn't able to buy one. Bulk clothes soap pail handles have a tough nylon or plastic handle that aids in carrying the weight. A nylon mesh bag for soap or something, found on the side of the road. And a brass washer. As far as a "reserve," this plan doesn't include one, not being that far from the tank, looking in the gas tank, is an option.

Materials tested in gasoline showed no deterioration.

First, Remove what was left of an original filter post sheered off at the thread level if there is one.
Second, after removing the handle from the pail or bucket wire, cut one flared end off to clear tank port. File the center knurl to same outside diameter that are between knurl and ends. Drill some holes, bevel them, leave the top open, file a small straight line cut out to fit the notch in the petcock, then clean by sanding and picking all the strands of plastic/nylon pieces clinging to it!!  Take extra care in removing those pieces, as they are static clinging. Option b: melt holes instead of drilling. The holes may be unnecessary, the opening at the top should be fine.Correction, the holes are necessary especially if you want to use all the gas in your tank, drill ner the bottom of the bucket handle to get the reserve fuel. this set up is without the feature of a stock filter that includes the on and the reserve draw tubes
Third, had to heat just the flared end to expand it with a socket only couple thousandths of an inch to fit more snug in the petcock. Being careful as the tube reaches the melting point it can collapse and distort.
Forth, found a washer to use as a hold down from the petcock nut and gasket, but not nessessary.
Fifth, cut the bag and melted the seams together.

With no clearance to play with,  fed the bag through the nut then fed the tube straight end into the bag, with just enough bag extended to go around the washer.
Twisted the bag, now called a filter, around the tube and fed it into the tank. That's pretty much it.

Added 2 more images to hopefully make it more clear of materials needed (the handle) and the options of length and fitting (the shorter and filed smooth handle was the first attempt at melting the end to a larger diameter, to file into shape (which never occurred on this one because of heat absorption was so fast it degraded the plastic.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:35:12 pm by Redline it »

Offline Jore

• Hot Shot
Re: Bucket Handles for missing/broke cb400f tank filter-free
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:02:14 pm »
I will definitely try that, since my tank hasn't had a screen since I don't know when, thanks for posting!
1975 CB400F owner
-Having a vintage motorcycle is like having a moody girlfriend.

My 466 build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,146494.0.html

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:04:27 am »
Awesome!! Let me know how it works out. It only took me like 35 years get around to it also, lol!

Offline Jore

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:31:33 am »
HAHAHA, well my project bike was just going to be a quick cleanup and it's now  2 year and counting deal.
1975 CB400F owner

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »
I seen that! I was gonna say on that "you got a serious delicate situation going" then I passed out and seen you got some messages on how to fix it. I know one thing, you have to be patient as ever, and when your not getting things done like you hope them to be, take a break, don't rush things. If you can get the end of the bolt, what is it a 6mm bolt out of the crank (I assume that's what it goes into,) then you got it made, kind of. IF not that bolt hole will serve as a guild to put a sleeve into to drill it out, go like 1/64" in a time, you don't want to touch the crankshaft. I got 2 cb400f 75s they are bad ass to ride, but strange. I don't spend any money on them except for gas, oil, grease and tires and the license stuff. Had a motor strapped to a short stool with wheels for a year, went to move it a foot, the thing tipped over I tried to catch it, it almost took my thumbnail off and bent an outher exhaust stud. So ever gently I try to bend it up just enough to unscrew it. Snapped off clean at the head. So now there's probably a hole just as big next to it from me trying to drill it out. loosing it, going screw it. Well I gonna get it someday and put a thread heli coil back in. Always use a 1/4" ratchet and only hold it up the hand half way when working on the 6mm and smaller bolts. Finger tighten everything only. I just got done taking the carb banks apart over 20 times to get the fuel right on the bench. Drove me crazy. Finally I guessed at all the adjustments and said if it don't work I'm riding it one  cylinder if that's all the works. And the thing worked. I don't treasure mine like a valuable antique, I ride mine as hard it goes. 60mpg at any speed. Good luck

Offline Jore

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:29:05 pm »
thanks, I'm guessing you're talking about the thread I posted about the broken bolt, definitely patience is something I've learned with this bike. 
1975 CB400F owner

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:42 pm »
Yeah that's the one. These motors are nice, the first in their class as far as a production super bike type rpm and compacted components with little tolerances.

Offline Jore

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:48 pm »
Yes, I love the tiny wonder, I've just have to get it back on it's feet!
1975 CB400F owner

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:02:56 am »
Jore, those bikes and motors will keep coming back long after we're gone. You should see the wreck that I have had in my back yard for more than 30 yrs as a parts bike. I thought it was kind of junk, CB400F SS 1975, I have no idea or recollection where I got it. I looked more close to the odometer, it's 1879 MILES! Whoever had it semi trashed what they touched...30+ yrd ago, the rest is like new. it's a good day!

Offline Jore

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 07:25:05 pm »
A good day for you and me both, just earlier I fixed the advancer on my bike, I'll post some pictures on my thread. But yeah totally, this things are amazing, it just takes patience.
1975 CB400F owner