Author Topic: CHROME- HOW TO:  (Read 5329 times)

Offline jeff kushner

CHROME- HOW TO:
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:02 am »
In appreciation of the guys that recently helped me out with a problem, I decided to post this "how to" to help you guys restore your original chrome without destroying it with steel wool or other methods which damage and scratch it. I wrote this a while back but have only posted it in a couple of places....and yes, I've included "before" and "after" pics!

jeff

The WORKS method, it works!

I cringe every time that I hear "the chrome has some surface rust but will come off with some fine steel wool". STOP right there! God nor any Chrome Plater ever meant for any type of metal to come into contact with their chrome! This would include the "alum foil and Coke" trick or any other method that tells you to touch chrome with any type of metal be it foil, wool or brass or steel bristled brushes! No REAL restorer would either! Don’t be a hack, read and learn something useful.
I stumbled onto a method that simply put, performs miracles on rough chrome. It won’t magically remove pits nor fill them with shimmering chrome but you look at the before and after pictures and decide it’s it is a viable method. Another thing….even older parts that look good to the naked eye are covered with microscopic rust….take that fender of handlebar and run it though my system and you’ll be amazed at how much better it looks!
If you agree that this method could improve the looks of your head bolts, nuts, pipes, covers etc….send them to me along with a check and…..no, NO, I’m not charging for this although I surely could make money off of this. Instead of sending me your hard earned cash, go to your local Dollar Store and buy a few bottles of this:
The Works Tub & Shower cleaner
Be absolutely sure that you purchase the correct formula(GREEN bottle). They also sell a toilet bowl cleaner in a blue bottle which will ruin your chrome forever….probably not what you’re after.
Get the correct stuff and fill a plastic bin full of it, enough to fully submerge the parts you are cleaning. Obviously for pipes, you need a big bin and plenty of The Works! For the pictures shown, which are from a 1973 CB350 Honda, I used approximately 40 bottles.
When you’re ready, set your pieces into the bin and begin emptying the bottles over them. Again, pour in enough to fully submerge the parts and then let them soak for 4 hours. Check them at 3 hours and you will be amazed! Wait the full 4 hours as suggested, then remove and rinse under cold water and wipe with a soft cotton cloth dry.
You will notice that the rust turns into yellow powder which settles at the bottom of the tank or bin. Try not to stir this up because it will inhibit the formula from working properly. Once there is a lot of the yellow in the solution, it will be time to get rid of it and start the next batch with new stuff.

The pictures are absolutely as they appear. These are the identical parts and all were soaked then rinsed very well with lots of cold water. There was no rubbing, no brushing, nothing other than soak and rinse!

You decide....does this look like a cool method or what? Most recently, I did all the chrome for my CB400F and just look for my posts to see how nice it came out!

jeff
Present: VStrom 1000 K7 modded for touring, Stock: '73 CB350, '74 RD350,’75 GT550, '75 H2 100% original, Modded: ‘75 GT550 restored & ported, '82 Yamaha 650Turbo running 18PSI project list:'72 &'75 H1's, last completed: highly modified '74 H2B-"VEG"and new-to-me CB400F for play. Bike pics here(lots of albums): http://s808.photobucket.com/user/jeffkushner1/library/?sort=3&page=1

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
Re: CHROME- HOW TO:
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:33:55 am »
you should open a Zip Through" 4 hour chrome wash center.

That almost looks like a white bottle with a green top and sticker. I thought maybe "shocked" the industry and they quit making the green bottles, I've been looking all morning for the green bottle!!

A large amount of the home projects I do are tore back fully in rusted pitted chrome, like the pictures above and worse. I'm pretty amazed at everything that knocks it down to shiny from a distance! Yours came out well also. I like the exhaust mounts, they turned out way nice.

40 bottles? That's a lot. I wonder if you could contact either the manufacturer or bottler or distiller and see if they can cut you a deal for bulk. Years ago, I have no idea where I got it, but a spray paint can of "chrome," was the shhhtuff.  You could spray a charcoal briquette and it'd have a real chrome plating. It was a spray that you could puddle and dip anything in it, instant chrome. It's one of those things in life you just will never forget by accidental discovery! First thing I chrome plated was a muffler bearing! (it's still being used today!)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:47:59 am by Redline it »

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 03:46:56 pm »
Check the pH and let us know. I'd love to compare to to other acidic solutions such as vinegar etc
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline RevDoc

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:58:26 pm »
Great tip! Thanks for sharing. And one damn fine looking avatar too!!
Dana

'78 CB550K--Angie
'82 CB750 Custom--Eva

As soon as you straddle a bike expect every other driver on the road to suddenly start competeing for the title "Dumbestsonofa#$%*inallNorthAmerica!!"

Offline eatpez

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
I'm going to give this a try and post results. My neighbor sells stuff industrially and a sample worked just like this but at over $50 per gallon, I think this is a better option.

And I'm a firm believer in using chemistry to solve problems.

Online Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:24:51 am »
Would we need to worry about the acidic solution damaging the seals in the shocks? Sure did a fine job there.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
Yes, do NOT use the blue stuff on chrome. It's hydrochloric acid and will destroy chrome in seconds..

Ask me how I know...  ::)

The green stuff is Oxalic Acid and Sulfamic Acid I believe.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Can550

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 05:48:26 am »
Great tip
Nice post with pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Can550

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:25 pm »
Can't seem to find "the works" here in Canada
What could be same formula other product

Offline Can550

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:46:50 pm »
The works in Canada

Offline Bowswell

• CB750K1,CB750 K4,CB350F,CB400t1,meanstreak
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 04:08:46 am »
I use CLR  5$ in Canadian Tire here.

Offline Can550

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 01:12:21 pm »
How long do you soak in CLR or it's just pour and scrub

By the way I went there but there were few types of clr which one is recommended

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
I use CLR  5$ in Canadian Tire here.

That is impressive!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........