Author Topic: Only one time trial for ET racers at the Cup Memphis race. WTH?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Dang,

What the heck? ET racers only get one time run for the Memphis race. It seems we're being forced to pay $75 for the friday Cup sponsored test session if we want to get at least one more  run before saturdays scheduled,  single time run only. Alright, so everyone will be in the same boat- i get that part. Yeah, you can buy back in for a price. I get that part too. I can only look at it for what it is- another way to generate money. Nothing more, nothing less.

The saga for ET racers continues while the pro's and sportman racers still get their 3 qualifying runs, just like other events. I normally don't complain but this is getting a bit annoying.

Offline NalleyRacing

• Hot Shot
  • 1972 Cb750K dragbike Instagram: Drag_racer736
Re: Only one time trial for ET racers at the Cup Memphis race. WTH?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 02:43:57 am »
Where did you see this Frankie?

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:21 am »
Printed the schedule.  Not open Thursday either.  See y'all Friday morning. Yep, feel cheated again. Still ain't got points correct. Told them last week.  Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:02:16 am »
I guess you're feeling well enough to go then, Give em hell Bro. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:05:25 am »
Where did you see this Frankie?
Trey, I'm on their email list.But its on their site.

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 08:27:44 am »
I personally would like to see the SOHC Honda guys adopt a different venue to get together and race. IMO the mancup races are not the best of choices, High entry fees along with no track time....

I have wanted to get together with everyone for some time, but with the long distance to travel coupled with the limited runs and high fees, and then throw in the chance of bad weather, I have bailed out a couple times now.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 10:19:07 am »
I personally would like to see the SOHC Honda guys adopt a different venue to get together and race. IMO the mancup races are not the best of choices, High entry fees along with no track time....

I have wanted to get together with everyone for some time, but with the long distance to travel coupled with the limited runs and high fees, and then throw in the chance of bad weather, I have bailed out a couple times now.
Agreed that the financial outlay is high just to bracket race but it does give us a chance to get together throughout the season with our SOHC bikes. I personally race other classes (index) not available at my local track so I've got limited choices. I used to run the Mirock series but they dissolved it and renamed it IDBL with all events now being held at MIR. The Man Cup folk have turned the tide and its now 100% about pulling in every dollar they can without regard to the racers. We do hope you consider at least making the very last race of the season. Most of the guys make an effort to be there then.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:06:51 pm »
The summer race is Rockingham, NC. Maybe work?  Agree on the $, first cut guaranteed purses, then qualifying runs go to from 2-1. Then no Friday run at nighr? C'mon, tracks paid for! Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 05:05:57 pm »
Bill, like we discussed, they allotted normal Friday time run to the grudge racers. Think about it, they've already got our money for the weekend, now on top of that, they collect $100 per tech card sold to each grudge racer. Now each of those grudge racers bring in at least 4 crew members and a few more groupies come with them. Alright, so now the local grudge crowd spectators and big money sideline betters come in the gate at $20 per person. Well, I'll stop right there and let you guys see why we get shorted and the Cup gets the $$$.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »
This is why I don't drag race...even a local test/tune night $25 plus for 3 runs if your lucky...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:43:28 am »
This past Wednesday night race at NATIONAL TRAILS 6-10-2015 on 1320' cost $15, I made 6 time trials and went to the finals in 4 rounds = 10 total runs........ every weekly Wednesday race for years = $ 15 and I did this for 18 straight years.  Their [ NTR ] FRIDAY night test tune before their two day weekend event $15 and get in lane 6 [ bike lane only ] and wear out your clutch and tires with as many rounds as you want to make = watched a guy on a BUSA make 11 straight runs in 8 hrs. And this year a NHRA weekend day [ no bars or slick ] same deal get in lane 6 and make passes until you are tired of doing burnouts and wheelies down 1320' of sprayed track. OHIO racers these folks are giving you MORE FOR YOUR MONEY !!!!
FAILURE, WEATHER and GREED [ buy backs for 2 rounds ] are the downfall of many OF THE PAST TWO WHEEL events at the drag strips. IDBA,PRO-STAR,AMA, and AHDRA......
On the weekend events they [ NTR ] have two bike classes = PRO BIKES CLASS = NO BARS OR SLICKS, BOXES OR ELECTONIC and the SUPER PRO BIKES CLASS with everything Schnitz and MPS, MSD,NOS sells on line. " GOT BRUCE " is a lesson you should learn in Central OHIO...... YOUALL COME, Lane 6 bikes only !!!!!!

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 02:12:34 pm »
This past Wednesday night race at NATIONAL TRAILS 6-10-2015 on 1320' cost $15, I made 6 time trials and went to the finals in 4 rounds = 10 total runs........ every weekly Wednesday race for years = $ 15 and I did this for 18 straight years.  Their [ NTR ] FRIDAY night test tune before their two day weekend event $15 and get in lane 6 [ bike lane only ] and wear out your clutch and tires with as many rounds as you want to make = watched a guy on a BUSA make 11 straight runs in 8 hrs. And this year a NHRA weekend day [ no bars or slick ] same deal get in lane 6 and make passes until you are tired of doing burnouts and wheelies down 1320' of sprayed track. OHIO racers these folks are giving you MORE FOR YOUR MONEY !!!!
FAILURE, WEATHER and GREED [ buy backs for 2 rounds ] are the downfall of many OF THE PAST TWO WHEEL events at the drag strips. IDBA,PRO-STAR,AMA, and AHDRA......
On the weekend events they [ NTR ] have two bike classes = PRO BIKES CLASS = NO BARS OR SLICKS, BOXES OR ELECTONIC and the SUPER PRO BIKES CLASS with everything Schnitz and MPS, MSD,NOS sells on line. " GOT BRUCE " is a lesson you should learn in Central OHIO...... YOUALL COME, Lane 6 bikes only !!!!!!

Pops,

What was the name of the hotel you recommended for the Memphis race? I think you said Millington Inn but I can't find a listed in the exactly wording. I did find a Days Inn Millington- maybe that's what you meant??

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 03:41:31 pm »
Pops,

How much do they pay in appearance money for the fuelies and purses for the big boys?!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 06:47:01 am »
These Wednesday night races are points races for a trophy so the weekend bracket racer gets a chance to try out a new set up or practice on the track for the up and coming 3-2 day weekend events with time to make changes before the weekend and not a good choice to go to a weekend points race with new motor or any power improvement with out 4-5 passes down the 1320' as you know that dyno pulls are not what you race on ...... So you are saying that the bracket racers have to pay for the show ???? I wonder how Tony Lee [ IDBA ] had ELMER put the show on and the bracket racers got plenty of time runs = answer the lanes were full for every class as all the racers shared the payout for the BIG SHOW, you should know that Jerry as you must have been at the many events they had over those past 25 years that ended in 2000.
FRANK :  The Millington Inn was on the main NORTH and SOUTH road in downtown about 20 minutes from the track.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 02:47:45 pm »

What's wrong with the Man Cup Memphis race, is that not near to you ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 03:02:09 pm »
its near me, real near

...Save a tree, eat a beaver...

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 05:40:08 pm »
Sam The Mancup race in Memphis is still a good 9+ hours each way. That in itself is not the real issue. The main thing for me is that the Mancup races are not good events to go to make passes and sort out a bike. Secondly they are not a good value, in terms of what you get for your money.

We have a couple different series here in my area that much better run and at a much lower cost to the racer.

I am simply saying that I would like to see a Honda SOHC racing get together that is some what centrally located and at a venue that is a little slower paced.