Author Topic: Rebuilding carbs  (Read 1492 times)

Offline jabbadeznuts

• Hot Shot
Rebuilding carbs
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:08 pm »
I rebuilt the carbs on my 550 and BOY what a difference!  ;D No more backfiring, no more leaking, no more surging, ULTRA smooth power delivery. Tomorrow I'm synching them. After looking at the slides, they're WAY out of synch. I'm excited to see what kind of difference that makes.
'75 CB550
'82 Suzuki GN125 - glad to be rid of that thing.

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
Re: Rebuilding carbs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:04:05 pm »
Way to go!  I gotta do that here pretty soon, already tried just disassembly and cleaning (which helped) but still not right.  Do you have a sync tool?  I think CRC has a gauge type sync set that is reasonable.  Also saw somewhere that you could use an Edelbrock vac. gauge and do each carb one at a time.

Offline jabbadeznuts

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 01:26:17 am »
I don't have a "real" manometer, but I'm going to make one like in this: http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=10891.0  post
'75 CB550
'82 Suzuki GN125 - glad to be rid of that thing.

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 01:46:26 am »
Jabba

by the time you make all that hose and fittings up - go and borrow one from your local bike shop, or ask them if you can use theirs for a few dollars...

they may even do it for you for if you bug them enough - while you wait of course... :)

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 09:01:26 pm »
Yeah, I thought (briefly) about trying to make one, but I am lazy as well as cheap, so I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place..... ;D

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 05:53:47 am »
Whenever you rebuild your carbs you should bench synchronize them prior to resinstallation.  This means that you should adjust your slides so that they all have the same gap between their bottoms and the carb bore at a given throttle opening.  Use a small drill bit as a guage and adjust the idle speed "nut" until it just fits underneath the #2 (non adjustable) slide.  Now adjust the others to match.  If the engine is in good shape and properly adusted, this should get you close.  Use guages with the bike running for the final adjustments.

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 08:53:15 pm »
Whenever you rebuild your carbs you should bench synchronize them prior to resinstallation.  This means that you should adjust your slides so that they all have the same gap between their bottoms and the carb bore at a given throttle opening.  Use a small drill bit as a guage and adjust the idle speed "nut" until it just fits underneath the #2 (non adjustable) slide.  Now adjust the others to match.  If the engine is in good shape and properly adusted, this should get you close.  Use guages with the bike running for the final adjustments.

I didn't rebuild my carbs (yet) but I disassembled and cleaned, and also bench synced in the manner described.  Still have a cold pipe on #3 so I'm sure I need to get the kits and do a true rebuild.

Offline ChevelleSSLS6

• Enthusiast
  • Member #4051
    • my myspace, yay.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 04:24:45 pm »
How difficult is it to rebuild carbs on a 550?  I'll try to get mine started up but I'm pretty sure sitting since 1992 it'll probably need a rebuild.  Any pics of the bench-syncing?
-Matt
"What about incomplete idiots?" -TwoTired
"What's a leakdown test?  I filled the cylinder that looks like this with some water and let it sit overnight. The water didn't go down any.  I thought that would tell me about the rings." -Dead Guy of AMCforums

1977 CB550f- sold
2007 Kawi EX650- curre