Author Topic: Securing crank sludgetrap grubscrews  (Read 739 times)

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
Securing crank sludgetrap grubscrews
« on: July 04, 2015, 04:23:30 pm »
I've recently done the grubscrew mod to the sludgetraps on my crank . My question is , what should I do to secure them in place ? .

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
Re: Securing crank sludgetrap grubscrews
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:08:57 pm »
I recently did the grubscrews too, with mine i tapped them so they would tighten up when the head got even with the crank. they got tightened to 70 inch/lbs. In addition I also used loctite high temperature red. I believe Loctite 272 i will double check when i get home.

I messed one up and didnt torque it before the loctite setup and had to remove it, well i had to heat the crank up with a map torch to 300 deg F + to even budge it and even then it took a huge amount of effort to twist out, and thats without being torqued to the 70 inch/lbs. 
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 12:59:03 am »
Thanks for your response to my query mate  ;).
I wasn't sure whether to use a centre punch  (like the stock balls) or to use loctite .
My screws tighten up to just below the level of the crank , so loctiting them would seem to me to be the better option . Cheers Greg "H".

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:40:52 am »
Just had mine done along with a journal polishing. They got staked. Not sure if lock tighted though.   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)