Author Topic: CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing  (Read 28830 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:40 pm »
I'd say buy a couple of them while you can. ;)

Are you suggesting they might no longer be available soon?

George

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2020, 05:22:20 am »
Also thinking about a 650 oil pump as several members have replaced the 550 pump with one.  Guessing it provides more volume or pressure.  Would like to hear from someone who has made the swap to confirm if that is correct.

I'd like to add a 650 pump to my engine as well. I bought one but the oil passage or the pressure gauge threw me for a loop. Do we just use the 650 guts and the 550 housing?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2020, 07:57:21 am »
i just put one on my 500/4.... no issues,

650 internals are wider (thats why you want them :) ), so no fit in 500/550 outer... the pressure gauge outlet can be simply plugged...  cant really follow whats the problem...

i use that outlet to feed the cam

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »
been away form my bike for 3 months of lockdown, so just had a look. The 650 pump is a simple bolt on...

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2020, 08:49:12 am »
I was concerned with the 650 pump's extra port on case side for pressure sensor. I guess it will seal?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:24 pm »
ok, got you now, i just threaded and plugged that hole with an M4 screw

it's the tranny oil feed for the later models.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing - 2020 Update
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2020, 01:24:25 pm »
In spite of Covid 19 we are back racing in 2020!  My 2019 season was cut short after the Island Classic in January.  In March of last year, during a routine colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with anal cancer.  After chemo, radiation, and surgery I am cancer free!   I have regained my health and hope to stay that way.

My bother Mark retired last year and at the age of 61 decided to go road racing.  He built a Kawasaki F7 175 based bike to run in Formula 125 with AHRMA.  So far it has been a struggle to take a bike designed to put put in the woods and make it run wide open on the track.  He holed a piston at the first track day and seized while breaking the rebuilt motor in.  I had purchased an 82 Honda Hawk CB450T for us to use as a track bike and endurance race.  With Blackhawk Farms less than two weeks away I pulled multiple long days and got it race prepped for him.  My CB550 has been ready and waiting for me since last summer.

Both bikes ran well in the heat at Blackhawk.  It was 90 degrees Saturday and 94 degrees on Sunday.  Mark completed his first race weekend with only one off track excursion and took the checkered flag in both Vintage Superbike Lightweight races.  I spent the weekend slowly getting back up to speed.  My competition in F500 was Kevin Dinsmoor on his CMR framed CB550.  He was smoking me in the corners and won both races.  I finished 2nd in class and fifth overall Saturday, but by Sunday I was picking up the pace and was also 2nd overall.  Formula 750 was my bump class and also finished 2nd both days. 

Gingerman was the following weekend and we were blessed with sunny, but cooler weather.  Highs in the 70's.  The Honda Hawk continues to run trouble free like the proverbial Swiss watch.  Mark found a little more pace and finished in 5th place both days in Vintage Superbike Lightweight.  Dinsmoor was again my competition in F500.  He tells me I have speed on him down the straights.  He continues to run off and hide from me in the corners.  Had a good race on Saturday with Sokolich on an RD400.  He was riding better than me and took second place behind Dinsmoor with me in 3rd.  I found some more speed on Sunday and beat him out of 2nd with Dinsmoor winning again.  Also ran F750 on Saturday and finished in 2nd. 

Matt Esterline (slick willy)was at both races with his Sportsman 750.  Won't steal his thunder except to say he had what appeared to be very good weekends.  With 4 races completed over 4 race days we are now qualified to race at the AHRMA October Barber event. 

Today I was performing my post race inspections and pulled the 550 oil pan.  Much to my surprise there was part of a gear in it.  It had been captured by the magnetic drain plug, but was too big to go through the drain hole.  Not sure yet which gear it is from, other than it appears to be a sliding gear.  From the parts diagram it could be third on the main shaft, if it is on the counter shaft it could be 3rd or 5th.  As I recall the custom gears I got from Moore Engineering were not sliding gears, so I may have dogged a bullet.  Particularly since he closed his business after a racing accident.  Will know later today or tomorrow when I spit the cases.  By happenstance Jim French is doing some welding for me.  When I mentioned my failure he suggested R&D Transmission in Florida.  Says they do gears for drag and Moto America racers. 

Wishing everyone a healthy and virus free 2020!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:55:54 pm by Rocketman »

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing - Broken Gear
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2020, 06:05:05 pm »
Pulled the motor and it is sitting upside down on the bench.  Pretty sure it is 3rd that has broken.  It is one of the dogs that engage the gear next to it.  Looks like I have all of the missing fragment in the one piece I found. 

I'm thinking I can pull the lower case off and do the repairs without disturbing the top end.  I have never done this before, but  can't think of a reason it won't work.  May be time to have the whole box checked.  Anyone have a favorite shop they use to magnaflux their gears?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2020, 05:45:00 pm »
 Thank you Kevin. Unfortunately I'm not an orthopedic surgeon otherwise I may have been able to have helped you with the foot too. ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:05:55 am by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2020, 10:10:27 am »
Kevin. I missed your accident!  After the F500 race I focused on helping my brother.  What happened?  Hope you heal fast. 

No doubt Mike is the man for head work!  I think the dyno will show a new high for HP. 

I can now confirm it is possible to remove the transmission without taking the top end off.  Sending the tranny to R&D Motorsports in Florida for magnafluxing.  The good news is neither of the custom gears from Moore Engineering were involved.  The engagement dog broke off and fell to the bottom of the oil pan.  Does not appear to have caused any other damage.  Didn't even come out of gear!

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
Barber Update - CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2021, 02:18:16 pm »
I have been remiss in not posting an update to the season ending Barber races.  After tearing down the transmission it appeared the only damage was a dog missing from 3rd gear.  Wanted to be sure there was not any unseen damage so I sent the transmission to R&D Motorsports.  Magnafluxing revealed no other damage and since it was there went ahead and had a race cut done on the gears. Got the gear box back, buttoned up the motor, put it back in the frame and headed for Barber.  The forecast was not good as hurricane Delta was on its way.

Thursday was dry and sunny and I worked on getting up to speed.  My brother had brought his Kawasaki F7 which was now on its 3rd top end.  We both had a good day as I was close to my best lap times and he finally got the Kaw jetting figured out and ran all day without seizing.  He took a few laps on the Honda Hawk which he was planning to race in Vintage Superbike Lightweight.  That night the rains started and did not stop until Sunday evening after the last races. 

Friday's practice saw steady to heavy rain.  Mark ran laps on the Hawk and F7 for his baptism to racing in the rain.  I took some laps on the Hawk as it had been over 30 years since I last raced in the rain.  In hind sight I should have taken the CB550 out as I would have discovered how challenging its abrupt power band is on a wet track.

Saturday and Sunday were race only.  Mark in races 3 and 4, myself in races 5 and 8.  With the rain continuing nonstop Mark finished 3rd in VSL and 5th in F125.  On my warm up lap I realized how careful I would need to be to not spin up the rear tire as it hit the power band.  As the green flag dropped I got a good start and found myself leading into turn one.  Convinced the pack was on my heals all thought of taking it easy left my brain.  Determined to keep my lead I drove through the first sweeping right and up the hill.  As the track crests the hill it also turns to the right.  It was at this spot the back end stepped out and down I went.  As crashes go it was an easy one.  The bike slid down the track on one side with me just ahead of it, head first watching the bike.  I stopped just off the track and watched the pack crest the hill.  My lead was much larger than I imagined.  The rider in second had a camera and if you look carefully can see the bike and me on the left side of the track as he crests the hill. 

I tried to restart the bike, but could not get the corner workers to push the bike any faster than a walk.  Race control ordered me onto the crash truck and that was it.  Although the damage was minor, I decided to call it a day, repair the minor damage, and get the bike re-teched for Sunday's races. 

Sunday started out just like Saturday, moderate to heavy rain.  Mark took another 3rd in VSL.  I could not watch him in F125 as my race followed his.  Using a lot of discretion I finished 3rd in F500 and road back to the pits were I was met by the race directors.  My first thought was I had really screwed up.  Unfortunately they were there to tell me Mark had crashed in F125 and was now on his way to the hospital.  They said he was conscious and probably had a broken collar bone.  I scratched from the F750 race and drove to the hospital with his wife.  Fortunately a broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs were his only injuries.  He had crashed in turn one on the last lap fighting over 4th place when he overcooked the turn and ran off into the gravel trap. 

I'm well into prepping the CB550 for this season.  The bike is torn down, no major motor work is needed and freshening up the frame with a new paint job.  The crash has not scared my brother off and his bike is repaired and getting a new coat of paint.  Looking forward to 2021 and hoping it is a more normal race season. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:26:01 pm by Rocketman »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2021, 03:20:59 pm »
Man Martin, poor George Barber has a tough time with October timing! Glad you both are reasonably unscathed in spite of the lousy conditions.

Yes I too hope 21 is a better season and we get to hook up somewhere.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
2021 Racing - CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2021, 05:33:41 pm »
Summer has arrived and the racing season is in full swing.  With only 3 races on my current motor, which was running well, I saw no reason to tear it down over the winter.  With various repairs and updates to the frame the paint was in need of a refresh.  I decided to go with powder coat as no changes are anticipated and with luck no repairs will be needed.  I also replaced my wiring harness which was made up of bits and pieces of old harnesses.  I chose to go with Sparck Moto based on an internet search.  The quote was $100 which I thought was reasonable and the harness arrived within 4 weeks of sending them my old harness.  The quality was quite good and it has now been used over two racing weekends.  http://www.sparckmoto.com/

My first race was in Kansas at Heartland Motorsports Park, a new track for me.  The weather was cool and windy all weekend with high temperatures in the low 60's.  We took my brother's motor home and had all the comforts of home!

Practice on Friday went well and based on lap times Mark Morrow and Chris Spargo on their Yamaha RD's were my toughest competition.  This proved to be true in the Saturday F500 race as I found myself in 3rd place on the final lap when suddenly the motor died as if the ignition was turned off.  Back in the pits I quickly found the issue.  Seems the fuse is part of the relay and had worked itself loose.  I secured it with a couple of wire ties to prevent a recurrence. 

The F750 race on Saturday and F500 race Sunday were both 3rd place finishes, again behind Morrow and Spargo. 

The past weekend we were at the New Jersey Motorsports Park.  Not a totally new track as I had done a track day in the past.  Unlike Kansas the weather was hot and steamy!  It is weekends like this when training pays off.  Friday practice was uneventful and the lap times slowly came down.  First up Saturday was my bump race, F750.  I finished second behind Kenny Cummings on his 750 Norton.  The F500 race was a dog fight with Mark Morrow and Eric Lukehart on their RD's. I had a little top end on Mark and was making time in the braking zones.  Ultimately he finished first, I was second and Eric third.

Mark Morrow 1d, Martin Morrison 5s, Dan Sokolich 77z

F500 Podium Martin Morrison 2nd, Mark Morrow 1st, Eric Lukehart 3rd

Sunday's F750 race was a battle with last years champion Daniel May.  He ultimately passed me on lap 3 of 6 and pulled a small gap.  Ahead of us was Mr. Morrow who had found a couple seconds over Saturday's lap times. 

Daniel May 1s and Martin Morrison 5s

Formula 500 was my last race and I was surprised to find Mark Morrow had scratched.  Not one to waste an opportunity I had a great start and was first into turn one.  Ultimately Tim Joyce and Tony Read on their 500 Premier bikes passed me and I finished 1st in F500 and 3rd overall. 

It has been a good start to the season and next up is Mid-Ohio Vintage Days.  It will be nice to not be learning a new track.  The surface is treacherous when wet, so hoping for lots of sunshine.  George (gshculd) was at NJMP helping Matt Esterline (Slick Willy) and it was nice to meet him.  Matt had a good weekend and brought his new superbike build with him.  It should be very competitive when finished!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:23:07 am by Rocketman »

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2021, 05:54:24 pm »
Congrats!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2021, 10:49:04 am »
I'm glad to see you running well Martin

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2021, 06:24:34 pm »
This past weekend the AMA Vintage Days was held at Mid-Ohio.  The track is an hour from my home, so it was an easy drive up Thursday morning.  My brother and I set up in the race paddock and quickly completed registration and tech. The AMA partners with WERA to run the races.  The number of racers continues to be about 50% compared to when AHRMA ran the races. 

Over the winter I had made another run at narrowing my motor.  The end of the crank was trimmed and a narrower cover made.  The cover over the ignition was a good inch to wide also and the excess was trimmed there.  I am down to 17 1/2" width.

On my wish list was a full fairing.  I had purchased an RC181 fairing from Moto Forza many years ago, but found it was much to narrow for a CB550.  With my now slimmer motor I gave it a second look and found it was still about 1 1/2 " too narrow.  I could not see any way to narrow the motor more, so decided to try widening the fairing.  I sectioned it down the middle and added an 1 1/2" extension to the nose.  From past experience I knew the curve side to side and top to bottom had to be maintained for both appearance and to ensure the windscreen fit properly.  I think it turned out pretty good.  Here is the finished result after paint.   

Practice went well although the track lacked traction early in the day.  The grip did improve though as the sun warmed the asphalt.  Past champion Mark Morrow had not arrived yet and I couldn't find anyone in my practice group running a faster pace to try and improve my lap times.  I knew my pace would need to improve if I was going to run with him.

The track greasy during the Saturday morning practices, so played it safe and didn't push it.  The first race was V3/V5 with my Honda in V3.  We were grided behind the bigger V5 bikes.  I got a good start and found myself in P1 overall by turn one.  As the laps wound down I wondered where Morrow was.  I shouldn't have as on the last lap he caught and passed me for the win.  Darn!  Here is some video from his bike.

For the F500 race I decided on a different strategy.  My plan was to follow Mark until the last lap and attempt a pass on the back straight as I was pretty sure I had motor on him.  Got another good start and lead the pack into turn one.  Mark passed me shortly and I proceeded to shadow him for until the white flag lap.  As we rolled onto the back straight I easily motored by him to take the lead.  Knowing he was strong in the last half of the track I gave it my best.  Going into the next to last corner he surprised me by passing on the outside which gave him the inside in the corner onto the front straight.  As the finish line is near the beginning of the front straight there was no opportunity for a re-pass.  Here is video from Morrow's rear camera.

Sunday's V3/V5 race saw me get my first ever false start!  I thought the starter was moving the flag but was mistaken.  I moved about 6" and then came to a full stop, then the flag waved and I took off.  I was behind Mark as we rolled back onto the front straight and was black flagged.  Even with a stop and go I reentered the race in P2 which is where I finished.

Knowing I had one more chance to best Mark I was determined to go for it in the F500 race.  Got another good start, but was in P2 as we entered the back straight.  If you watch the video of this race it looks like I am on a 750 as I blast past Mark!  A big shout out to Mike Reick for his stellar head work and Brent Waller for sharing his motor development in this forum. I lead the next two laps until Mark again passed me in the penultimate turn.  From there he opened a gap and caught a lapped rider at an opportune time preventing me from having another run at him. 

Although I was unable to best Mr. Morrow it was a good weekend of racing.  I know where I need to improve and thoroughly enjoyed the close quarter racing with a very good rider.  Looking to do one more race and then close the season at Barber. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:35:18 am by Rocketman »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2021, 07:10:59 am »
Well done Martin, and thanks for the report. Too bad Scotty McKenzie couldn't make the pilgrimage across the border, there would have been two of you blowing by Mark!

It's nice to see these CB550's with some juice!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:14:12 am by bwaller »

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
Barber 2021
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2021, 06:20:30 pm »
Another racing season in the books.  Barber was an up and down (literally) event for me.  The weather was a much better than last year.  Other than a damp track Thursday morning it was nothing but sunshine and warm temperatures all week.  Practice went well and in the last session Friday I found some guys to chase and got into the low 1:52's.  First race Saturday was Formula 750, my bump class.  Got a good start from row 2 and was with the lead group into turn one.  The class of the field this year was Tripps Noble on an XR750 in a roadrace frame.  Following Tripps was Mark Morrow on his RD400, Kenny Cummings on a 750 Norton, and Brad Phillips.  Couldn't quite run with these guys, but did get into the 1:51's to finish 5th. 

Barber Museum and Wall of Death in the Fan Zone.

With a one race break it was back out for the Formula 500 race.  With another good start I found myself in 3rd in turn one.  Was able to pass Eric Lukehart on his RD400 and chased Mark Morrow home for a 2nd place.  Improved my lap times with a best in the 1:50's.

The charge into Turn two.

I gave a lot of thought as to where I was loosing time and was looking to improve on Saturday's results.  Like Saturday, first up on Sunday was F750.  From the second row I was 5th into turn one.  Over the next two laps I passed two riders and worked my way into 3rd behind Nobles and Morrow.  Then going into turn 5, Charlotte's Web, I caught a false neutral and overshot the turn.  By the time I got stopped and turned around I had lost two places in F750 and had two riders in another class go by.  I put my head down and caught then passed the two riders in the other class before the end of the lap.  As we took the halfway flag at the end of lap 4 I was closing in on 3rd and 4th in F750 and turned my fastest lap of the weekend, 1:49.2. My racing weekend came to an end on lap 5, in the final corner, when the front wheel washed out and down I went.  After about 6 barrel rolls I came to a stop at the edge of the track.  Thankfully I am using an airbag suit this year and other than a minor finger injury I was unscathed.  My bike had apparently started to tumble when it hit the grass and ended up in the gravel trap.  Post race inspection found a scrape on the left header pipe, so may have grounded and lifted the wheel.

Fairing, windscreen, and fairing/tach brackets damaged.

All four megaphones damaged.

Fortunately the tank, seat, frame, wheels are okay.  Normally I would have all winter to complete the repairs.  AHRMA has announce a January event at Daytona so the race is on to finish the repairs.  My last race at Daytona was 1986 in the fall with CCS on my Suzuki RGB500.  Finished second to John Long on his TZ750 when he drafted and passed me out of the chicane to win the F1 race.  Hoping to take the Suzuki and Honda in January. 

Best wishes to all and hope to see you at the races. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:30:10 pm by Rocketman »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2021, 06:41:55 pm »
 I have to build a better head for you. My apologies. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2021, 06:53:13 pm »
Think I am the fastest bike in my class!  It is a lot easier to pass on the straight than the corner. Your magic has turned my 550 into a rocket!  Now if I was 35 years younger I’d show those young guys a thing or two. Looking forward to unleashing it at Daytona. Kudos to JMR cylinder head work.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2021, 02:44:17 pm »
I'm sorry to hear of your off Martin, but glad the bod survived ok. Now how do you repair those megas?

The engine configuration you have now does indeed make it a weapon. It surprises the fast in class 2 strokes!

We brought some of Mr. Barbers gravel home from that very trap as well. It peppered the hell out of everything it came into contact with, and it still bears the scars!

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2021, 03:14:42 pm »
Martin sorry to hear of the racing carnage. Best of luck sorting out the damage…
Glad you were not injured badly…

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2022, 01:17:00 pm »
When I last posted I was hoping to make the AHRMA Daytona race in January.  The injury to my finger (torn tendon) took much longer to heal than anticipated and Daytona was a no go.  Over the winter I decided it was time to upgrade my front brake.  The Grimeca I was using has been less than adequate, fading after a couple heavy braking corners and causing me to give away too much ground.  Went with a 250mm Fontana which I bought from John Clarjis.  The Fontana is a magnesium alloy versus the aluminum Grimeca.  So the Fontana is both bigger and two pounds lighter.

First race of the year was with AHRMA at Heartland Motorsports in Topeka, Kansas.  Unfortunately I had hurt my back a few days before the event.  Ever the optimist I went ahead and made the trip hoping for a miracle!  It was not to be.  After the first practice sessions Friday morning I knew it was not going to happen.  Rather to let the trip be a total loss I went ahead and ran the Formula 500 and 750 races Saturday with no additional practice.  I was well off the pace and finished with a 5th and 6th.  At my reduced pace I could not tell if the Fontana was an improvement over the Grimeca.  I did note that the cables needed adjusting after each practice and race.  My assumption was the shoes were bedding in.   Most importantly this counted as two races toward the four required to race at Barber Motorsports in October.  My brother had fallen off a ladder working on his motor home a couple of days before the event.  X-rays were negative and he raced with his boot duct taped to accommodate his swollen leg.  What a pair we were!

Next up was New Jersey Motorsports with AHRMA.  As a bonus Brent Waller, Mike Rieck and George Schuld (helping Matt Esterline) were also attending.  The trip did not get off to a good start.  Wednesday afternoon I tried to start my van to hook it up to the trailer and it would not stay running!  It cranked, fired, and then died.  After about 6 tries I called the towing service and had it taken to the repair shop.  They did not have any quick fix suggestions and I left it with them.  My brother was planning to attend , but not race.  He had returned to the doctor as his leg was continuing to give him trouble.  New x-rays showed the leg was indeed broken, so no racing for him.  Fortunately he had driven his mini van out and my bike fit with one inch to spare.  So off to NJMP we went.

It was great to meet Mike Rieck.  After all the positive interactions by phone and email over the years I was looking forward to meeting him in person.  Can't say enough good things about Mike as a person and as the best cylinder head guy out there!  Ran into Brent Friday morning at the motel.  This guy in a VRRA shirt sure looks familar!  My race weekend did not go well.  It was quickly apparent the Fontana was not working well and continued to need cable adjustments after each practice session.  So like Heartland, I only raced Saturday in F500 and F750 finishing 4th and 5th.  The good news was I now had the four race finishes needed to race at Barber.

When I opened up the Fontana I was shocked to find the lining on the brake shoes was nearly gone!  The photo shows the Fontana shoe on the left after two partial race events and the Gremica on the right after over twenty race weekends!

You can see the lining was actually transferring to the brake drum!

With my regular brake shop shutting down I was in need of relining service asap.  Kenny Cumming of NY City Nortons runs Fontanas and he recommended Brian Henderson in Canada.  A call to Brian confirmed he could reline the shoes and service the brake in time for the AMA Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio.  The stars aligned and he was able to reline the shoes with Ferodo race compound, arc the shoes, and turn the drum in record time.  The wheel arrived back two days before a track day at Mid-Ohio.  I live about an hour from Mid-Ohio and drove up Monday morning hoping they would have an opening for me.  Fortunately they did and after changing a non-compliant oil filter (K&N with spot welded nut) I was good to go.   What a difference good brake shoe linings make.  After some initial bedding in the brake got better every time out on the track.

Following my normal oil change routine I changed the oil on Wednesday.  Much to my horror I found metal on the drain plug magnet!  Definitely gear metal.  Pulling the oil pan confirmed there were broken gears in the box.  A shift dog had broken off second/third gear and the other two dogs were cracked!  I'm wondering if the hard welding and race cut is the reason.  With one week before leaving for AMA Vintage days the wrenches were flying.  Pulled the motor and removed the lower case.  Not only was second/third missing a dog, but the fragment had gone through the fourth gear set.  Fortunately the custom first and fifth were not damaged.  A used motor bought for parts was then torn down to source donor gears.  The motor was reassembled with a mix of stock and race cut gears, male and female.  Fingers crossed, just need it to hold together for Mid-Ohio as there is a gap in my schedule for a proper rebuild afterward. 

We set up in the Mid-Ohio paddock Thursday and prepared for practice Friday.  Much to my relief the transmission shifted just fine and made it through to Sunday.  For the first time this year I had a working front brake and was riding decently.  Saturday and Sunday finishes are averaged for your overall finishing position.  I finished second in Vintage 3 both days having a spirited race with a Yamaha 650 that was bored to 750.  I was faster on the first half of the track (including the main straight) and he was faster on the second half of the track.  For the first time ever I ran away with both Formula 500 races.  It was such a strange, but good, feeling to win by over 10 seconds both days.

Formula 500 checkered flag.

Formula 500 podium

Next race for the 550 is Barber.  Looking at doing Gingerman on my Honda Hawk to try and stay sharp.  Hoping my troubles are sorted and the rest of the year goes well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:02:20 am by Rocketman »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2022, 02:20:34 pm »
nice update, but who's who in the pic and what about the broken dog? more info needed :)

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2022, 05:07:51 pm »
Presumably the fellow in the middle is you holding #1...