Author Topic: CB750K2 How easy is it to set the carb float without removing the carbs?  (Read 3682 times)

Offline jeremyillingworth

I pulled a float bowl off to change a leaky gasket and noticed the float was rather crooked with one side hanging down far more than the other. I suspect I hit it pulling off the bowl; when I put it back together it doesn't run as well, leading me to believe it's not set right anymore.

How easy is it too set while it's still on the bike or will I have to remove the whole lot of them?

jeremy

Offline harisuluv

• Master
Not easy to do.

Possible?  Yes.  Practical?  No.

Faster than taking them off and being able to easily access everything?  Probably not!

As good as off the bike?  Good luck getting clear access to everything and using a float gauge even, probably wouldn't even fit with the next bowl screwed down next to it.  Plus you're upside down, and have inches to work and use all your tools.

I guess I'm doing them off the bike. Can a combination square be used to set the height?

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Yep its a bench job, that one time you clean things up well and put them back together in spec and hopefully if done right move on to other things knowing the carbs are dialed in correctly   ;)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Not easy to do.

Possible?  Yes.  Practical?  No.

Faster than taking them off and being able to easily access everything?  Probably not!

As good as off the bike?  Good luck getting clear access to everything and using a float gauge even, probably wouldn't even fit with the next bowl screwed down next to it.  Plus you're upside down, and have inches to work and use all your tools.
totally disagree...it does take some careful attention to detail and some very steady hands and delicate touch.  Don't use a float gauge, do the clear tube test.  Don't try and adjust float tang with it still in the carb.  Pull the float pin, remove float and catch the needle with your other hand as it will fall out.  Adjust, insert needle into seat, hold it there with your pinky, put float into position, remove pinky, and insert pin...check fuel level with clear tube, repeat as necessary.  It does help to remove the bottom half of the airbox.  I can reset float levels on 4 carbs in a half hour or less this way.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline harisuluv

• Master
it's a 750, not a 550, i agree it's a totally different story with the bowls that you can just unclamp.

Thought it was a 550 therefore reference to bowl screws.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Don't use a float gauge, do the clear tube test.  Don't try and adjust float tang with it still in the carb.  Pull the float pin, remove float and catch the needle with your other hand as it will fall out.  Adjust, insert needle into seat, hold it there with your pinky, put float into position, remove pinky, and insert pin...check fuel level with clear tube, repeat as necessary.  It does help to remove the bottom half of the airbox.  I can reset float levels on 4 carbs in a half hour or less this way.

I have done it exactly this way several times, most recently this past spring. It's a little more back-and-forth than setting them on the bench, and it's a bit more of a pain to do the inside carbs, but it's definitely doable.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Flyin900

• Expert
Check first with a small mirror to see if possibly the float pin has moved out of one side of the two mounting posts and is causing the float to be crooked.
If this is the case it should be easier to get the pin back into the mounting post and get the float oriented correctly again.
Common sense.....isn't so common!

1966 CL77 - 305cc - Gentleman's Scrambler
1967 CL175K0 - Scrambler #802 engine
1972 CB350F - Candy Bacchus Olive - Super Sport
1973 CB350F - Flake Matador Red - Super Sport
1975 CB400F - Parakeet Yellow - Super Sport
1976 CB400F - Varnish Blue - Super Sport
1976 GL1000 - Goldwing Standard
1978 CB550K - Super Sport
1981 GL1100 - Goldwing Standard
1982 CM450A - Hondamatic
1982 CB900C - Custom
1983 CX650E - Eurosport
1983 CB1000C - Custom X 2 Bikes now - both restored
1983 CB1100F - Super Sport - Pristine example
1984 GL1200 - Goldwing Standard

Offline lrutt

• Expert
do it right or do it over.

Just 50 years experience talking here.
06 Harley Sporster 1200C, 06 Triumph Scrambler, 01 Ducati Chromo 900, 01 Honda XR650L, 94 Harley Heritage, 88 Honda Hawk GT, 84 Yamaha Virago 1000, 78 Honda 750K w/sidecar, 77 Moto Guzzi Lemans 850, 76 Honda CB750K, 73 Norton 850, 73 Honda Z50, 70 & 65 Honda Trail 90, 70 & 71 Triumph 650s, 65 Honda 305 Dream, 81 Honda 70 Passport, 70 Suzuki T250II, 71 Yamaha 360 RT1B, 77 BMW R75/7, 75 Honda CB550K, 70 Honda CT70

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
the airbox is always a hurdle.
removing its bottom half first, makes it measurably easier.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

I just rolled the bike into the basement and took it apart properly. It was pretty quick and easy.

My plans to use a combination square were frustrated by it's large size and I didn't want to spend thirty dollars on a gauge or wait for shipping so I whipped up a wooden one. It's not perfect but within a millimeter.

Setting the floats was actually easier than a was dreading. They overflowed a bit on installation but stopped.

jeremy

Offline rddcw

• Hot Shot
Jeremy,  Nice float gauge.  Would you care to Post the dimensions and how you made it?

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
I just did mine last month with clear tube. It wasn't a big deal. They were pretty much on except #3 which wasn't too far off.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

The gauge is three and a half inches high and two and three quarters inches wide. The legs are obviously 26mm long with an extra half inches in the center section, which is also half an inch wide. The legs are an eighth wide leaving two and three eighths in-between.

I just stood the piece up and ran out through the table saw with the blade at the right height. I didn't feel like getting out my dado set so it took twenty or so passes.

Offline przjohn

• Expert
do it right or do it over.

Just 50 years experience talking here.

Yup, couldn't have said it better. One of my first jobs was after school at a gas station. This is when gas stations repaired cars instead of selling hot dogs rolling for days under a heat lamp. The mechanic there taught me something that has stayed with me my whole life. "If something is in your way, or has to be removed to gain access to the problem you are working on, just do it, in the end it will be easier, and a better job done"

I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking at dead things with a stick.

When you check it with a clear tube do you run one end into the bowl drain and hold it up? What size tube?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750K2 How easy is it to set the carb float without removing the carbs?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 07:25:55 am »
not on your bike...you have to rig up the tube out of the drain screw hole
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 10:52:00 am »
On some bikes, the overflow tube and the float bowl drain screw are connected, so that when you loosen the drain screw, fuel flows out of the overflow ports.

Not on these carbs, though.  The drain screw is a separate passage, so to properly do the "clear tube" test, you have to rig up an adapter as seanbarney said by either drilling out a drain screw and soldering in a nipple, or milling it down, to accept some clear tubing:

Others have also had some luck with partially melting the tubing, stretching it so that it gets thinner, then trimming it off at the narrow part so that it has a taper to it.  Then the tubing itself can be screwed into the hole in the float bowl and seal well enough to perform the test.

mystic_1
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:39:39 am by mystic_1 »
- John Augustus Shedd

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 06:21:03 am »
Next time I'm ordering parts I'll get a spare drain plug and drill through it. It looks easy enough.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 07:42:16 am »
I've had some good success just buying a short metric screw of the proper diameter and drilling THAT, cheaper than using a brass drain screw, and then you can use solder to add a short piece of tubing instead of having to braze.  Also, it's totally possible to overheat the brass ones with a propane torch and melt them down into slag.  Ask me how I know  ;)

Add a small o-ring to the screw afterwards and you're good to go for just a couple bucks.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 06:56:53 pm »
That sounds like an even better idea. Do you counter drill the tube into the screw?

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 09:03:10 pm »
Yes exactly, drilled the through-hole, and then stepped up to a bit size that matched my tubing and counterbored about half way into the screw head. 

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:19 am »
That's genius. Next time I'm out in the car I'm taking a bolt with me to match up and getting a brass coupler from Lordco. From what I've read aquarium tubing seems to be the most readily available clear tube variety.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 08:48:21 am »
Next time I'm ordering parts I'll get a spare drain plug and drill through it. It looks easy enough.
Its easier and cheaper to heat/stretch/taper a section of tubing and just turn it into the drain screw hole  ;D
Spend the effort mocking up a nice carb stand on your bench.  Something to hold them still while you work on them.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:44 pm »
Any pictures of such a stand?