Author Topic: My uncles 78 CB550K. New restoration  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
My uncles 78 CB550K. New restoration
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:37:25 am »
This is my uncles old cb550. He bought it new in 78 and rode it around until the mid 80s. He's been wanting to put it back on the road but for the past decade my aunt was battling cancer. She passed on last year and he's working on cleaning up some things that were set aside.

I told him I'd restore the bike for him so he could ride it again but instead he gave me the title and said I could have it. My intention is to restore it back to the way he had it back in 1980 and hand him the keys. It was basically stock with a trunk and sissy bar.  My dad and him tell me stories of them riding it all over the east coast and I know he'd love to do it again.

It's in rough shape though. Even though it sat in a garage, the chrome is badly pitted, the tank has some rust inside and under the trim, controls are all locked up, carbs stuck, spokes and rims are shot, etc., etc. The engine is free but  I'm not used to how a 550 kick should feel. It kicks easily and you can feel it building pressure. I've spent most of my time around 750s which maybe have a harder kick.

I'm going to rebuild the carbs and get the engine running first to see if it's worth tackling. I've seen 550 engines on craigslist for around $100 so even if there's something wrong with it, it's not too expensive.  That being said, I have a rough idea of how much this will cost to restore. How much have some of you spent to restore a 550?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: My uncles 78 CB550K. New restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:20 am »
I'm restoring a '78 right now but it is super clean.  Good idea to get it running first to access the engine.  The compression may be low but should come up after running for a bit. 

I believe there is a guy parting a 550 in the parts for sale section.   Good luck!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:13:17 am »
Battery, tires/tubes, air filter, oil and filter, materials to clean inside of tank, seat cover- all adds up quite quickly.  I usually spend 500 on a 400 four, but I am cheap, and the total could easily hit 1K....Larry  Good thing you are doing! 

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:59:13 pm »
I saw a few people parting out some 550s on the for sale side. Including a guy making a cafe out if a black 78k. I'm hoping I can get in touch with him because he's one state over and is probably getting rid of a lot of stuff I need.

My estimate on cost right now is 800-1400 to be as good as it gets aside from a frame up. It'll be a very clean rider.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »
clean it thoroughly to accurately assess its true condition...from your picture the tank looks bad but everything else looks like it will clean up ok but +1 on what MoMo said...tires, tubes, cables, filters, chain/sprockets only adds up fast!
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:25:26 am »
Yeah, been on the fast track to big money on several bikes before.  Luckily I have a huge stock of new CB750 parts so cables, filters, mirrors, front brake pads, hoses, etc. are taken care of.  I've pulled the carbs and most of the rubber is in great shape.  One of my airbox boots tore though.  Does anyone know a good source for a new set?  Used is fine.

Im trying to source a stock exhaust too, but most are probably in as bad of shape as this one.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:54:39 pm »
That looks like a pretty complete 78 550K. You can buy seat covers off of ebay and just refit. But yes get the thing running first. We are here to help!  :)
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:48:28 pm »
Saw that haha. I just bought two sets. That should be good enough..

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »
So I tore into the carbs and they were nasty.  They cleaned up well though and there's no corrosion. I also rinsed the fuel tank, filled it with 4 gallons of white vinegar, and let it sit for 5 days.  After dumping ad rinsing, all of the rust and varnish is gone and the tank is I n great shape. Ordered new gasket a md filter for the petcock, which, after some love, turned out nice. 

Soooo, my wheels are shot.  Will a CB750 rear wheel work on the back of a cb550? Using the earlier sprocket carrier of course.  I looked around for an answer but nothing was conclusive.

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 05:34:55 pm »
Carbs are ready to be reassembled. Just waiting on new gaskets. The oil didn't look bad and nothing funky came out when I changed it. I kicked it a few times to coat the clutch fibers in oil and I could feel decent compression.  I also tuned up the ignition system and slapped in a battery.  Spark looked good so I decided to fire it up on some carb cleaner without the carbs. Hearing the engine run was quite rewarding.

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 06:28:05 am »
Got it running and idling with the carbs on. No airbox though so it was running lean. Last Friday I got it torn down to the frame and engine. Time to start cleaning it up. 

I might be ordering a set of aluminum rims but I can't decide if u want to bump the diameter up to 2.15 front and rear. Since I'm probably going to stick with stock tire sizes, I don't think it will matter.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 07:03:37 am »
I'd bump to 2.15. Doesn't create a conflict with spacing, but does allow some slightly better tire options if you choose.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 07:14:05 am »
I'd bump to 2.15. Doesn't create a conflict with spacing, but does allow some slightly better tire options if you choose.

+1...especially on the rear. then go with 4x18" or 120/90-18 tire.

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:25 am »
Thanks guys.  Any recommendation on tires?  I want to stay around stock size so I'll probably get 3.25x19 and 4.00x18.  I was thinking about the Dunlop k70's for a vintage look, and a lot of people really seem to like them. 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:23 pm »
I like Bridgestone BT45, Avon Roadriders and even the IRC GS11 if a vintage look and budget price is wanted.
There are better tires out there than the K70.

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:51 am »
I hear mixed reviews about the k70, but most of the time either people love them or they are just ok. Rarely read that someone hated them.

I looked at the road riders and they are a very modern tire. For touring I wonder how they'd handle. Mixed surface might be a factor.  Thanks for the info steve!

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 06:06:38 am »
Turbogrimace,

Don't forget about the Continentals.  The RB2 - K112 Combination was very popular back when these gals were young.  :)

They handled nicely and wear very well.

Charlie

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 07:36:55 pm »
I just took a good look at the stock exhaust on this 1978 cb550k and was able to push my finger through in a few places.   I'm quite bummed because I loved the look and sound of the stock 4-4.  That and I don't feel like doing any tuning on this bike.  I've done enough of that on several other bikes recently. 

Anyone have any thoughts on exhaust options that don't require tuning or that have jetting specs?  I'll be running the stock air box on pd46c carbs.  They're already lean enough on the restrictive stock exhaust, so I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with trial/error tuning in the future.  Nooooooo!!!!!!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 04:31:37 am »
If you keep your eyes peeled, you may be able to locate a used stock set here, or on eBay. For the most part, swapping the exhaust alone won't require significant changes to your carbs, maybe just bump the main jet by one size. But many of the systems sold aren't particularly more "open" than those on your bike.

If the holes in your set occur after the header pipes, it's viable to have them "repaired" but, then you'll be re-chroming. That gets expensive. You can also cut the pipes off after the headers, then install new cone type mufflers on new mild still pipe and the pipe/headers blasted and treated with chrome-finished ceramic. It's a decent look, and actually a nice protective finish that does help the system and protect your hands and legs from scalding hot pipes.

Unfortunately, as you suspect, this all gets a bit pricey  :-X
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 06:59:24 am »
I just took a good look at the stock exhaust on this 1978 cb550k and was able to push my finger through in a few places. 

I have a good used set in excellent condition I'm willing to sell for cheap. PM sent. Just a couple of minor dents and bluing on the headers - otherwise very clean and solid. Here are a couple of shots of one pipe; the others are in the same condition ('78 pipe is on top for the first two shots, bottom on the last):

Let me know if you're interested and we can work something out.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:17:39 am by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 07:19:57 am »
I'm interested sohron, I saw your pm before I saw this. Can you email me a few pictures of the other pipes?  Those stock pipes would be great!

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 07:39:03 am »
Unfortunately, I'm in Durango at the moment (observing the yellow river!) and don't have access to the pipes, but will take more shots when I get home.
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 07:53:12 am »
I just took a good look at the stock exhaust on this 1978 cb550k and was able to push my finger through in a few places. 

I have a good used set in excellent condition I'm willing to sell for cheap. PM sent. Just a couple of minor dents and bluing on the headers - otherwise very clean and solid. Here are a couple of shots of one pipe; the others are in the same condition ('78 pipe is on top for the first two shots, bottom on the last):

Let me know if you're interested and we can work something out.

Hey Ron....got any other 550 goodies you might want to get rid of?  I've picked up a couple 550's and will be getting them on the road soon.

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 09:25:21 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm in Durango at the moment (observing the yellow river!) and don't have access to the pipes, but will take more shots when I get home.

Is "observing the yellow river" a euphemism for something?
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.