Author Topic: ARD Magneto  (Read 117771 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: ARD Magneto
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2007, 04:02:10 am »
And of course I'll manufacture the adapter plate, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Schultz

• Danny Boy this is a showdown!
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2007, 04:29:23 am »
I was just curious if ARD or R.C. made magneto ignitions for the GS series. I'm sure you could adapt just about anything to work on just about anything. I have a Kawasaki with a Koening belt drive (like an ARD) Ford HEI distributor.

If you guys didn't see it there's a guy selling 3 ARDs on ebay. Well, one of them is an R.C. Vertex but he thinks it's an ARD. I'd steer cleer of him though. He's got very low feedback and his rating is horrible (70%). He doesn't take Paypal so I think it's probably a scam. The two ARDs he has use the same picture for both auctions. Lastly, I suspect that the ARDs and the R.C. he supposedly has are actually for KZs. I have an ARD for a KZ as well as an R.C. Vertex for a KZ and what he has looks like the Kawasaki gear. Just thought I'd warn you guys.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2007, 04:40:03 am »
I was just curious if ARD or R.C. made magneto ignitions for the GS series. I'm sure you could adapt just about anything to work on just about anything. I have a Kawasaki with a Koening belt drive (like an ARD) Ford HEI distributor.

Probably not mate, my three remaining MK ARD's are for Kawasaki's. Have you got a pic of that Koenig? Also, what's the link for that dodgy ARD seller? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Schultz

« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2007, 04:54:28 am »
I can e-mail you a pic when I get back to the States. Koening makes good stuff. They also had a belt drive magneto (Mallory super mag) for KZs which is far more popular than the Ford distributor. I liked the distributor set-up because it was "streetable".

I can't access eBay on DoD computers otherwise I'd toss you the link. I just typed in "ARD magneto" and they popped up. All the pics he had were front side pics and, as you know, you can instantly tell if a set up is for a SOHC by looking at the backside. He labelled them as "BSA/Honda mags". I guess he thinks BSA made four cylinder engines.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2007, 05:28:34 am »
G'Day Schultzy, sorry mate, I forgot you're in the "Land of Sand", how's it going there, you keeping out of the shiite?

I use a DoD computer at work, (I'm ex-regular army, now army reserve/defence contractor) so I bought a Nokia N95 cell phone so I can read my Yahoo mail and check out Ebay at work, ha ha!

Be safe mate, I'm looking forward to you getting home so i can see those pics! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Schultz

« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2007, 07:19:52 am »
It's not too bad where I'm at. I'm an F18 mechanic so mostly I just work on jets. We're packing up to leave which is a nice feeling. I haven't had a beer in seven months.

I've got plenty of interesting stuff you'd probably like pictures of. For some reason years ago I decided that stock ignitions just didn't cut it so I bought all sorts of strange stuff. My favorite, by far, is the Vertex set-up which I ran on a KZ. The Kawasaki mechanic I traded my electronic ARDs to put one on a turbo KZ1000 which he had a Vertex on. He said he could get two or three more HP from the ARD. I doubted it but he knows what he's talking about. I think I just like the look of the Vertex more than anything else. It just looks like you're up to something. I paid too much money for the one on eBay but I was tired of looking for one. I can still score KZ stuff but for some reason CB gear is getting very thin on the ground.

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »
Well, here's another ARD Honda that went for $501...   :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200142445660

I didn't win it...I guess my $59 bid was too small...   ::)

I don't mind that...but there were two other magnetos I was following...auctions # 170139671660 and # 300139737823...both were pulled before the auction ended...one says it was relisted; the other just disappeared...   >:(

That's just plain wrong... 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:18:53 pm by puppytrax »
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

Offline cafe75-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2007, 07:29:54 pm »
Yeah, but the seller on the other two had a feedback rating of 70%, and used the same picture for both mags? I've seen that happen a few times with the ARD mags now, seems like the scammers are in on them as they're a big ticket item.

On another note, I was the high bidder on that other one! Getting as bad as Terry!  ::) This is my second ARD, although the first is a CDI. I was able to make a few pieces and adapt it to my 550, but its voltage output is way low, and since the "little black boxes" were custom made, I've got issues making it work right. I will figure it out one of these days, but until then I'll run the old-school mag that can be rebuilt if needed.  ;D
New bike!
'07 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Never enough projects!
'75 CB550 "Cafe", '76 CB550 parts bike
'64 Norton Atlas featherbed/'71 Triumph 750 Triple (Triton project)
'68 BSA Thunderbolt (frame and cases, project in the wings)
'57 Triumph Thunderbird (frame and mostly complete engine)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:20 pm »
Yeah, but the seller on the other two had a feedback rating of 70%, and used the same picture for both mags? I've seen that happen a few times with the ARD mags now, seems like the scammers are in on them as they're a big ticket item.

On another note, I was the high bidder on that other one! Getting as bad as Terry!  ::) This is my second ARD, although the first is a CDI. I was able to make a few pieces and adapt it to my 550, but its voltage output is way low, and since the "little black boxes" were custom made, I've got issues making it work right. I will figure it out one of these days, but until then I'll run the old-school mag that can be rebuilt if needed.  ;D

Interestingly, I've got two "MK2" ARD's with points! They look the same externally, but have "bumps" on the outer cover to accommodate the single set of points? I wonder if they're a true "MK2", or was there a "MK3"? 

Hey I've got a sneaking suspicion that the seller of the ARD's and the Vertex is none other than our very own "Dragman836"?

I could be wrong, but he said recently that he's got an ARD and a Vertex for sale, so I'm guessing that it's him? I've bought some carbs from him and he was pretty helpful, so if you send him a PM, you just might get a bargain! Cheers, Terry. :D 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:06:40 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2007, 04:35:09 am »
I wanted to buy the vertex from him but never got a price or maybe
he was looking to trade?

carpy beat me out of another ARD last

DANG IT

LOL

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:37 pm »
Carpy is an expert at sniping other SOHCers Jim, so don't sweat it, you've been beaten by a professional, ha ha! ;D

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2007, 05:02:52 pm »
He didn't snipe me this time, He just hit the Buy it now button

no snipper program in the world is going to beat that...........:))

2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2007, 02:14:52 am »
No worries Jim, he's all cashed up after recently selling one of his bikes for more than 13K (about 12 more than it was worth IMHO) so he can afford it, ha ha! How much was the "Buy it Now" price? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Schultz

« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2007, 04:53:28 am »
You've got to be kind of sneaky with the BIN auctions. On a lot of auctions the BIN option vanishes once a bid is placed. In that case I just throw in a low ball bid and then load the sniper program.

13K!!! I must be missing something. Carpy does good work but there's really nothing that special about any of his bikes. He keeps the interesting stuff for himself...the Seeleys, the Read Titan, ect. Maybe it's all in the details. I ride in the rain so the whole "show bike" look isn't for me. Anyway, more power to Carpy for getting that kind of cheddar for his ride. He does work hard. Coming up with that many metaphors has got to be tough.

By the way, don't ride in the rain with a magneto set-up. Trust me on that one.

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #289 on: August 24, 2007, 02:16:42 pm »
This whole ARD on eBay business is spiraling way out of control...   :o

HONDA CB 750 ARD MAGNETO COVER GOLD PLATED/ENGRAVED

THIS AUCTION IS FOR JUST THE ORIGINAL ARD MAGNETO COVER FROM A 750 HONDA

Starting bid:   US $199.00  History:   0 bids

Just the *cover*!!!...  ::)

THE COMPLETELY CHROMED ARD WITH AN ANNODIZED AND ENGRAVED COVER WILL BE OFFERED HERE ON EBAY SHORTLY AS WELL .. WATCH FOR IT ..

Oh, boy!!! I can hardly wait!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:20:23 pm by puppytrax »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #290 on: August 25, 2007, 02:49:55 am »
Geez I remember seeing that bike in "Easy Riders" magazine years ago, what a beautiful custom! It's be a bit "interesting" to ride though I reckon, especially around corners! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47:13 pm »
I received a letter from "bul74", the seller of eBay auction # 290150783185, "ARD Magneto Honda CB750 SOHC Cafe/Chopper", (which was won by "hotrodcarpy" ;D) . It contained a copy of an instruction sheet for the auctioned magneto (Thanks Again, Jeff!)...but it is not clear whether the instructions are for an ARD, a Yoshimura, or a RC Engineering magneto...and also a copy of that March 1972 Hot Bike magneto article (page 4) that I posted earlier...small world, isn't it...   :D

The copy of the timing instructions was very good, but the magazine/book the instructions came from was not given, so I guess we need to treat these instructions with caution...   :P

If anyone has a problem reading the timing sheet (PhotoBucket may have resized it), I transcribed it and can post it if desired. The instruction sheet almost looks like it came out of the back of an early Clymer manual...Can anyone confirm this???

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2007, 08:36:34 pm »
I also talked to Carpy and he said as soon as he can He is going to send me
a copy (either faxed or threw e-mail). will let all know when its
here

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2007, 08:59:47 pm »
You know, the insructions look like an old Clymer's manual.  My old manual for the small fours has a similar performance section in the back.  Maybe that's where it came from?

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #294 on: August 30, 2007, 02:59:07 pm »
Geez I remember seeing that bike in "Easy Riders" magazine years ago...

Your chance to purchase this celebrated (and published!) ARD magneto conversion is at hand!!! Wait no longer!!!   ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140152903081

For a piddling amount (about three and a half times what I paid for mine), this little beauty can be yours!!!   ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #295 on: August 30, 2007, 11:25:32 pm »
I'd say "he's dreaming", but then again, someone paid $15K for Carpy's bike, so anythings possible, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:16 pm »
BTW: I still have the original ARD Installation sheet for the CDI ARD 750 magnetos that was emailed to me by a kindly member here...It's a 2-page PDF document; 1.11MB...if anyone can advise me of how (or where) to post it, I would be happy to...   :P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:41:15 pm by puppytrax »

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2007, 05:59:41 pm »
Well!!! Finally, somebody with a realistic sense of value!!! 

ARD MAGNETO HONDA CB 750 CHOPPER BOBBER CAFE RACER

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270161196975

It went for $260 + $35 S&H from Puerto Rico...

In rough condition, but looks a lot more complete than some on eBay lately...   ::)

Offline cafe75-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:05 pm »
Yeah, but did you see the sellers rating? A "0" with a 50% rating? And it still went for $260!

And if you look at the questions section, he explains how he used to go by a different name but had to change due to a bad transaction. I don't think I would have even bid $260 knowing that... :-\
New bike!
'07 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Never enough projects!
'75 CB550 "Cafe", '76 CB550 parts bike
'64 Norton Atlas featherbed/'71 Triumph 750 Triple (Triton project)
'68 BSA Thunderbolt (frame and cases, project in the wings)
'57 Triumph Thunderbird (frame and mostly complete engine)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2007, 02:16:22 am »
Yeah, but I just had a look at the cause of his one negative feedback, (under the current seller's ID) and I reckon it was more a result of a stupid buyer than a dodgy seller, I've got an ignition switch just like that one and the covers aren't a great fit, but hey, he didn't make it, he just sold it.

Not defending him, but having sold a few items on EBay I know how easy it is for some fool to hurt a seller's reputation. Cheers, Terry. ;D