Author Topic: ARD Magneto  (Read 117730 times)

juanclos

Re: ARD Magneto
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 09:15:43 am »
Hi Jay.  I tried unsuccessfully last week and finally left a VM.  I'll give it another shot later today.  If anyone reaches them, please let us all know.  Thanks!  RR

Hey Ricky:

I contacted the guy at ARD, I'm not at home right now so I don't have his name, but they were in the process of moving to another part of town, still in Santa Fe Springs, Cali.  The are about 10 minutes from my house.
I will be trying to contact them again and I can post what I found out.  Maybe they are still in the same place and I can drive down to check.  I may be selling my ARD but I want a little more info. from them about my unit.

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 02:53:17 pm »
I will be trying to contact them again and I can post what I found out.

Great!  ;)
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 03:37:03 pm »
Thanks, juanclos! I tried to telephone again but once more got the answering machine. I'd really like to talk with these guys about some spares for my ARD... Have a good 'un!  RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 03:56:27 pm »
I'd really like to talk with these guys about some spares for my ARD...

I'd like to know if they have enough parts to make a working conversion if I supply the FM mag...   ::)

juanclos

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 05:14:30 pm »
I'd really like to talk with these guys about some spares for my ARD...

I'd like to know if they have enough parts to make a working conversion if I supply the FM mag...   ::)

I'll check it out and let you guys know if they have moved.  See ya..

juanclos

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 12:00:13 pm »
I just spoke to Allen.  What a nice guy, by the way, very helpfull and knowledgeable.  After 35 years in the same place, he is being evicted by the new owner and has no place to go.  He is thinking of moving up north in California and starting up again, he said it is too expensive to get another building.  He has been doing Mags for planes, and a lot for Triumph bikes, and for a guy who builds Gyroplanes...He said he has many things in storage and I gave him my number so if he wants to unload it I could post it for him, he does not like computers.  He is in the middle of a designe for a pointless ignition that mounts inside the points case, just like some of the newer stuff but he didn't have time to finish because of the eviction.
He gave me a typed instruction set for the installation of the ARD Magneto unit on the Honda 750.  If anyone is interested I can scan it and have it available, I don't know, it may be on this site already..

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2007, 12:17:30 pm »
He gave me a typed instruction set for the installation of the ARD Magneto unit on the Honda 750.  If anyone is interested I can scan it and have it available...

I am interested! Please scan & post, or even email! TIA!   ;)

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2007, 01:42:37 pm »
Just for S&G, I found a pic on the Net of an original Triumph Twin ARD mag conversion, and the instructions...   ;D

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
A.R.D. Belt Driven Magneto For Triumph Unit Twins

1)  Remove the original timing case. Remove the point breaker cam which drives from the exhaust cam.  Remove all wires from the points, tape them or otherwise isolate them and put them aside out of the way of the new installation. These wires are no longer a part of the ignition system.

2)  Remove spring clip and oil seal from the case just removed and install them in the A.R.D. timing case cover. (We suggest you replace the seal with a new one). Check installation of seal to be sure it is installed exactly as it was in the original timing cover. The upper seal has no spring clip. The Triumph cover and the A.R.D. cover are exactly the same except for the magneto drive.

3)  After installing seals in the A.R.D. timing cover, install the new timing cover exactly as you would install the old one. Use the original screws, and a sealer recommended by your Triumph dealer as required.

4)  Insert the lower drive shaft with the belt on over both pulleys. DO NOT BEND OR STRETCH BELT. Now insert belt, (use original bolt that held point breaker cam to the end of exhaust cam shaft) into the lower drive pulley and tighten.

5)  After tightening bolt in step 4 above, back it off so that the pulley is free to turn on end of exhaust cam shaft.

6)  Remove distributor cap from magneto head. Turn the pulleys CLOCKWISE until the points of the magneto are just beginning to open. At this point note the position of the rotor in relation to the pins inside the distributor cap. The pin that lines up with the distributor rotor is the one that will fire now.  Trace the high tension wire from that pin and connect to right or left sparkplug and then connect the other wire to the other plug.

7)  If you connected the wire that will fire to the left sparkplug, this will be the one you will time and vice versa. Let's assume you will use the left one. Rotate the engine to locate compression stroke on the left engine cylinder and set the piston 7/16" before top dead center ON COMPRESSION STROKE. The position will be 36 degrees before top dead center on the degree wheel. Recheck step 6 to be sure points and rotor did not move while you set the engine.

8)  Tighten bolt on lower pulley (step 4) then tighten the two set screws on the lower drive pulley after making sure of the timing by rechecking. Replace the distributor cap on the magneto head. MAKE SURE SCRIBE MARKS ON MAGNETO HOUSING LINE UP WITH SCRIBE MARKS ON THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP to be sure cap is properly centered. Replace belt drive cover and the installation is complete.

9)  The screw with two nuts on side of magneto housing is for grounding kill button switch. DO NOT CONNECT ANY HOT WIRE TO THIS TERMINAL. A push on momentary switch to ground (frame) will short ignition and stop engine when connected to this terminal with a length of wire.

These are taken from - http://www.britcycle.com/Products/334/33401.htm

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:07 pm »

He gave me a typed instruction set for the installation of the ARD Magneto unit on the Honda 750.  If anyone is interested I can scan it and have it available, I don't know, it may be on this site already..

Please do mate, Me and Big Jim would love a copy! :)
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2007, 03:23:53 pm »

Please do mate, Me and Big Jim would love a copy! :)

so would I
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:06 pm »
God that stuff is old!! ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline treetrimmer

• 72 CB750 Hot Rod Styled
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2007, 07:19:53 pm »
Hi,
I'd love a copy of the setup sheet too!
Thanks,
Jeff
More Honda Fun All The Time!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »
God that stuff is old!! ;)

Er, so are our bikes, Mike! :)
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2007, 09:22:47 pm »
He gave me a typed instruction set for the installation of the ARD Magneto unit on the Honda 750.  If anyone is interested I can scan it and have it available...

2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2007, 09:24:37 pm »

Defiantly interested.......... as would allot of other members  too
thanks
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

juanclos

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2007, 10:40:06 pm »
Ok, I have it and tried to attach it and there is a limitation of 80K.  The document is in Adobe PDF format and is about 1.3Meg.

Is there a way to post it somewhere on the site?  If not I can email to those interested right now.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2007, 01:46:46 am »
Ok, I have it and tried to attach it and there is a limitation of 80K.  The document is in Adobe PDF format and is about 1.3Meg.

Is there a way to post it somewhere on the site?  If not I can email to those interested right now.

Thanks mate, my email address is: sherriffbuck@yahoo.com Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline treetrimmer

• 72 CB750 Hot Rod Styled
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2007, 07:35:45 am »
ME too! cyclegleason@comcast.net

Thanks! ;D
More Honda Fun All The Time!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2007, 09:35:31 am »
PLEASE!!!   tmccarty at mindspring dot com.  TIA!
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2007, 04:01:54 pm »
Just to add to the fun...  ;D

I found an article in the March 1972 issue of Hot Bike Magazine about magnetos...the last two pages feature a CB750...   :o

(Click on the thumbnails to enlarge)

There are a couple of questionable statements, but the pics speak for themselves...   ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:19:54 pm by puppytrax »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2007, 04:14:50 pm »
G'Day Rich, can you email those pages to me mate? I can't read the writing? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2007, 04:18:21 pm »
G'Day Rich, can you email those pages to me mate? I can't read the writing? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Click on them, mate!   ;D

juanclos

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2007, 04:25:09 pm »
Just to add to the fun...  ;D

I found an article in the March 1972 issue of Hot Bike Magazine about magnetos...the last two pages feature a CB750...   :o

(Click on the thumbnails to enlarge)

There are a couple of questionable statements, but the pics speak for themselves...   ;)

Awesome stuff.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
Ha ha, yeah, I'm a dumbass Rich, but this time I did mate, but when I further enlarged them, (my poor old eyes, y'know?) the typeface fell apart? If you could send me the original scanned pages before you reduced them for here, I'd be rapt! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2007, 04:39:15 pm »
Ha ha, yeah, I'm a dumbass Rich...

Sorry Terry!   :'(  My bad!

They're on the way...4 emails...