Author Topic: Stuck machine screw removal  (Read 10197 times)

Offline CBGBs

• Hot Shot
    • Ride or Rot vintage motorcycle event in FTW
Stuck machine screw removal
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:21:28 am »
Use the proper large phillips head socket and tap it in with a hammer before carefully wrenching on it.
Always.
'66 CB77 Superhawk  '73 CB350G Cafe  '75 CB400F '65 S90  '78 CB750 SS

Offline 750essess

• Orleans Cycle Repair & Resto
  • Hot Shot
Re: Stuck machine screw removal
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:37:34 am »
Snap on makes an excellent hand impact driver. Works great. The bits are hard enough that you can use them as chisel to hammer new slots into the head for ones that have already been destroyed.
Orleans Cycle Repair and Restoration
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L

osquerik

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 01:07:56 pm »
You can also get a Craftsman at Sears for about $20. I wish I had bought mine earlier!

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:51:56 pm »
The Craftsman one is discontinued, any that you find on the shelfs are the last ones that you will

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:56:52 pm »
Snap on makes an excellent hand impact driver. Works great. The bits are hard enough that you can use them as chisel to hammer new slots into the head for ones that have already been destroyed.

I've had the Craftsman and now have the Snap On.  I think the Snap On is much better and worth the $45 price.  The bits are sized better, the wrench is easier to hold, and it has a better action.
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
I have used valve lapping compound on slightly rounded heads. Works well. If not its time for plan f.

Offline 750essess

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:31:58 am »

I've had the Craftsman and now have the Snap On.  I think the Snap On is much better and worth the $45 price.  The bits are sized better, the wrench is easier to hold, and it has a better action.

$45 !!!! I got ripped paid $120 for mine  :(
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 09:51:20 am »
$45 !!!! I got ripped paid $120 for mine  :(

I got mine on ebay.  It's like this one.

If we're talking about good ways to remove tight screws with stripped heads, the owner of a bike boneyard showed me a technique that works.  Sharpen a cold chisel.  Put the chisel blade on the outer part of the screw and tap so that it is turning the screw counter clockwise while also digging in a bit into the head. 
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline 750essess

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:52:59 am »
Yeah, thats just like mine, never gave a thought about checking ebay for one. I used the chisel trick too before I got the impact.
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L

Offline oldfordguy

• Enthusiast
  • A sheepdog.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 11:18:39 am »
An impact driver should be the first tool anyone working on a bike should buy.  I have two, one with a 1/2" drive and one with 1/4" drive for smaller stuff.  I bought both of them at Harbor Freight, and they work great (better than the Sears one they replaced.)  The best part is that the 1/2" drive, the one I use the most, has a rubber grip (similar to a motorcycle grip) that flares out to protect your hand if you slip with the hammer.  Oh, and it's only $6.99 regular price at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37530

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 02:30:35 pm »
Craftsman are still available at KMart (just there today) for $26. Harbor Freight has one that is just as good on sale for $4!
Fonda Honda

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 08:49:58 pm »
If screw head totally stripped, chisel a groove on its edge then tap it counterclockwise; works everytime (like on tach screw on cam cover)

chrisf

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:25 am »
I put a socket on the impact gun, then put the Phillips in the socket. Took the screw right off with no drama. The question is, why did Honda think the screws needed to be so tight to begin with--especially on commony removed thins?

--Chrius

Offline vintagehonda

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 09:35:02 am »
I use a dremel to cut out a nice groove for a hefty flathead and out she comes.  No risk of injury to aluminum if the chisel slips.

Offline the california kid

Re:Homemade Liquid Wrench
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:49:54 pm »
A long time VW master taught me this one. A 50/50 mix of acetone and Ford dextron tranny fluid left to soak for a bit works better than anything over the counter on decades old rusty nuts, bolts etc. If need be I build a dam with silicone gasket maker around the piece.

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:08:29 pm »
I have used valve lapping compound on slightly rounded heads. Works well. If not its time for plan f.

Plan f or plan F?  I got one out of my hand  control M\mostly by cutting a slot and then impact wrench recently. Ii came loose, loosened the control, then hung up on the corroded  threads.

Chisel cut  it in a counter clockwise direction and it backed out finally. So much better than pulling the bars and wiring to put it on a drill press.

I know why they call OEM the cheese head screws.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/