Author Topic: Motorcycle Starting issue  (Read 2138 times)

Offline jetthugo

Re: Motorcycle Starting issue
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 11:32:15 pm »
Do you have a timeing light? You can use it to make sure you have spark.  Is your petcock flowing Gas there should be a fairly strong smell fter cranking like that as you should be close to flooding it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just purchased a timing light today, unfortunately I have no clue where to connect it! Been looking to see how to use it. As for the gas, I'll pay extra attention tomorrow when I fire it up. Ill get back to you on that. Thanks Mantree

Offline jetthugo

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:23 pm »
Do you have a timeing light? You can use it to make sure you have spark.  Is your petcock flowing Gas there should be a fairly strong smell fter cranking like that as you should be close to flooding it

I just purchased a timing light today, unfortunately I have no clue where to connect it! Been looking to see how to use it. What I'm looking at is that red=postitive and black=negative to the battery, then the larger clip goes on the #1 spark plug wire? As for the gas, I'll pay extra attention tomorrow when I fire it up. Ill get back to you on that. Thanks Mantree

Offline Mantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:12 am »
That big clamp goes on the #1 plug wire there is a arrow on it that should be pointing towards the plug then he 2 clips go to battery.  There are indexing marks on the points asembaly one on the rotating part and then some on the plate behind mark them with a sliver sharpie this will be good when you set your timing latter as for fuel the petcock will have a fine mesh in it that gets clogged it is meant to be a filter but I tend to take it out and just run a inline fuel filter

Offline jetthugo

Motorcycle Starting issue
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:46 am »
That big clamp goes on the #1 plug wire there is a arrow on it that should be pointing towards the plug then he 2 clips go to battery.  There are indexing marks on the points asembaly one on the rotating part and then some on the plate behind mark them with a sliver sharpie this will be good when you set your timing latter as for fuel the petcock will have a fine mesh in it that gets clogged it is meant to be a filter but I tend to take it out and just run a inline fuel filter

Thanks Mantree, listened to your instructions and got it to work. Prior to using the timing light, I saw that the gaps on the points were opening too wide so I adjusted them according to the manual. After this, the bike started. Then I used the light and this is what it showed

Could the problem have been the gap between the points? I'm afraid there is more to this story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:59:59 am by jetthugo »

Offline Mantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 02:16:25 pm »
I can't really see your timing marks in the video are they mostly steady (they always waver a little). Points do wear down over time and will need replaced some day when that day comes a automotive tester is nice but not nessisary
http://m.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/lcd-automotive-multimeter-with-tachometer-kit-95670.html
I'd say at this point just give it a good tune up look up how to build a cab sync tool to tune your carbs in replace that air filter and do your timeing along with a oil change. The cb family of engines are kinda temperamental but they are very strong and just keep running I have a 750 that reads 30k on the clock but I know that the odometer rolled over and it is still going strong

Offline jetthugo

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 02:31:03 pm »
I can't really see your timing marks in the video are they mostly steady (they always waver a little). Points do wear down over time and will need replaced some day when that day comes a automotive tester is nice but not nessisary
http://m.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/lcd-automotive-multimeter-with-tachometer-kit-95670.html
I'd say at this point just give it a good tune up look up how to build a cab sync tool to tune your carbs in replace that air filter and do your timeing along with a oil change. The cb family of engines are kinda temperamental but they are very strong and just keep running I have a 750 that reads 30k on the clock but I know that the odometer rolled over and it is still going strong

I just purchased a new set of points and condensers to replace the ones that are on right now. I also purchased a new air filter. Last week I purchased a Carb Synchronizer so I think that'll be the next step. I appreciate all your advice and help.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »
Sounds good - go ride!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Mantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 03:00:48 pm »

I just purchased a new set of points and condensers to replace the ones that are on right now. I also purchased a new air filter. Last week I purchased a Carb Synchronizer so I think that'll be the next step. I appreciate all your advice and help.
Sounds good always great to see someone new willing to put in the work to keep these classic bikes on the road you have picked up a very rewarding hobby there is nothing like the feeling of being able to say you did all the work on your own

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk

Offline jetthugo

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 03:53:41 pm »
Alright now we're. Ack to it not starting again. Makes a weird "thumping" sound.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 04:29:24 pm »
My bike will not start if given throttle when cold. 
Try giving full choke and no throttle till it fires.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline jetthugo

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »

My bike will not start if given throttle when cold. 
Try giving full choke and no throttle till it fires.

Here it is with full choke and no throttle..

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 06:10:17 pm »
I suggest giving the motor the full 3000 mile tune up as recommended by Honda.
If, for any reason you are not able to do this, find someone who is. 

Offline jetthugo

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 06:18:22 pm »

I suggest giving the motor the full 3000 mile tune up as recommended by Honda.
If, for any reason you are not able to do this, find someone who is.

So far (today) I did an oil change and I replaced the ignition points and condensers. Just checked the voltage on my battery and it's around 11.5, is that low?

Offline jetthugo

Motorcycle Starting issue
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »
Battery is fully charged and I checked my coils. They're reading at 6 ohm which I think is normal. Here is where it's at, it just does not want to turn over... maybe my ignition points and timing are off?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:05:32 pm by jetthugo »