Author Topic: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread  (Read 189818 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2009, 01:15:07 pm »
Going medieval on it may offend some sensibilities, but I'm OK with it.

#$%* ya! I got it! Ya, I just beat the hell out of it along the areas where it was partially out. And yes, I'll have to touch up the gouges I made. One large one. Pics comin soon...

Remember, you're the boss, the machine is the slave!   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
  • I know the pieces fit...
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2009, 01:17:48 pm »

May it rest in pieces...

OUCH. Oh shi- So, grind those gouges as smooth as possible.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2009, 01:36:52 pm »
Yeah, to be clear, that's not the proper way. But once its cocked, it's likely dug a groove and you don't have much choice.

Cutting it with a Dremel may have diminshed the damage, but I vote for just getting it out of there. It won't take any longer to dress up the grooves, but be sure you do a good job.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2009, 01:43:47 pm »
Ya, I knew it wasn't the best way  :D

As far as those gouges go, if you look at the second picture, the one on the left is more like a 'valley' so to speak, and the one on the right is more like a 'ridge'. The right one I can grind smooth again, but as far as the other one goes...? I can maybe make the 'valley' smaller by grinding around the edges, but there will always be that dip there, would this effect the seating of the new race?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2009, 02:30:20 pm »
Ya, I knew it wasn't the best way  :D

As far as those gouges go, if you look at the second picture, the one on the left is more like a 'valley' so to speak, and the one on the right is more like a 'ridge'. The right one I can grind smooth again, but as far as the other one goes...? I can maybe make the 'valley' smaller by grinding around the edges, but there will always be that dip there, would this effect the seating of the new race?

Nope. No one will ever know and I won't tell. I wouldn't do anyhting that may make the overall hole larger, and the race may be loose.  Take down any ridges, leave the valleys alone.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:49 pm »
It was mentioned before that, if you use the stock headlight ears, you will need a washer to hold them nice and tight with the new bearings, otherwise they'll spin around. Is this correct for all applications? If I recall, it was referring to a 750, I have a 550. I imagine it works both ways, and I'll probably check out my hardware store for a spacer to add to each headlight ear. A 5mm spacer washer was the one that worked. Anybody else use washers also?

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2009, 02:08:38 pm »
Another quick question, nobody mentioned using lube to oil up the bearing to slide it down over the steering stem. It would seem like a good idea to ease the installation, but is there a reason for not doing it? Obviously you don't want the bearing to spin once installed, I don't think it would with a little bit of lube...

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2009, 02:37:26 pm »
I guess everyone expects that some of the huge amount of grease you have plastered all over the new tapered bearings would have got onto the back of them and made it easier. :D
You did grease the bearings? :o
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #458 on: August 14, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »
I guess everyone expects that some of the huge amount of grease you have plastered all over the new tapered bearings would have got onto the back of them and made it easier. :D
You did grease the bearings? :o

HA! Now THERE'D be some interesting noises!!!
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #459 on: August 14, 2009, 02:50:54 pm »
I will be greasing them, haven't installed just yet though. I need to figure out the spacer washer size. I need a 35mm ID to go over the fork tube, but not to wide of an OD or it wont fit inside the headlight ear. Also, it has to be 5mm tall? In order to hold the headlight ear in good, right?

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2009, 04:03:23 pm »
I'd get the trees in place first, then you can either measure or test-fit the forks to see what you need to do shim-wise on the ears.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2009, 04:50:57 pm »
True. I ran to the hardware store and picked up six washers, they're a perfect fit 35mm inner diameter and 50 outer. They're only 1 1/2 mm tall though, but I'll use what I need tonight. They should sit right above the bottom headlight ear seals.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #462 on: August 15, 2009, 08:11:52 am »
I would  use Loctite bearing fit instead of lubing it.
 Give it 24hrs then grease up and re-assemble. Even after cocking bearing, its still safer to tap it back square and beat it out square. The stress on steering bearings is a lot higher than you imagine. These things don't handle too well when everything is 'tight' any slop makes them even more 'interesting'

PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #463 on: August 15, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
I can't seem to remember what dust seal to use out of this All Ballz kit, both seals snap into the bottom bearing just fine, the thinner one allows for more free play with the bearing. When I snap in the larger seal, the bearing doesn't spin as easily, but still can.

Pix if it helps:

Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe I'm just being to specific  :D

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #464 on: August 15, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »
I can't seem to remember what dust seal to use out of this All Ballz kit, both seals snap into the bottom bearing just fine, the thinner one allows for more free play with the bearing. When I snap in the larger seal, the bearing doesn't spin as easily, but still can.

Pix if it helps:

Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe I'm just being to specific  :D

Those are cool, my "green box" kit had no seals. Remember those bearings don't spin in use, they barely turn 90 degrees. Still friction resistance to steering inputs are tiny but meaningful in a performance context. Use the big dust seal for most cleanliness.  I would use the least amount friction resistance as I favor the ease in steering, especially at speed in the twisties.

Since mine has no seal, I have no resistance and I'm fine with that.

Really picking nits here.

Your call
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #465 on: August 15, 2009, 06:30:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply MC, I guess I should also consider the stack height if using the taller seal. I might not need that thin washer after all. I'll have to go measure it again.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #466 on: August 15, 2009, 06:36:33 pm »
THe soft part of the seal should have no bearing (pun unintended)  in the decision about stack height, only hard parts against hard parts.

Looking at your picture the hard part of the seals appear to be the same. So if you need the spacer for one, you'll need it for the other.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #467 on: August 15, 2009, 06:53:55 pm »
The seal sits nice and snug into the bearing like this:

I think it'll all go together well. I'll heat up the bearing with a heat gun and slide it down over the frozen steering stem, then pound away on the pvc pipe should be fun...

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #468 on: August 15, 2009, 06:57:18 pm »
You're in control, carry on.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2009, 07:34:32 pm »
Races are seated, here are a few pics.

Bottom:

Looks like a slight gap, but I hit pretty hard and it isn't budging any closer...

Top:

It was mentioned before that the top race sits up a bit, but this much? Seems like I need to hit it down flush against that lip right? 

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2009, 07:39:25 pm »
I've never worked on a 550 so I'm not 100% certain, but on the 750 there are two lips in that area.  Use a dental mirror to see if you're all the way in.  If you could drive the race in to that lip that's visible in the pic than it looks like the race would be recessed at that point.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #471 on: August 15, 2009, 07:51:12 pm »
I've never worked on a 550 so I'm not 100% certain, but on the 750 there are two lips in that area.  Use a dental mirror to see if you're all the way in.  If you could drive the race in to that lip that's visible in the pic than it looks like the race would be recessed at that point.

mystic_1
What he said.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #472 on: August 15, 2009, 07:56:35 pm »
Haha, that bottom bearing went on the stem a lot easier then I thought! I freezed the stem for a day, and torched the bearing with my heat gun right before I installed it. Pounded for about 2 minutes and it slid right on  ;D

Edit: Luckily I took pics of the top after I got the old race out. There are definitely two lips, I'm pretty confident it is resting on the top one now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:58:25 pm by Dave-and-his-550 »

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #473 on: August 15, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »
Does everyone go with the All Ballz kit or are there other kits you guys like the better.  Any pros / cons in the different kits and does one brand fit better than another?
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #474 on: August 16, 2009, 05:58:01 am »
I've heard that some other kits don't include the dust seals.  I always use All-Balls.   I'm sure that other kits will be dimensionally the same, but there may be differences in the quality of the bearings.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd