Author Topic: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread  (Read 189815 times)

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread
« Reply #475 on: August 16, 2009, 06:08:15 am »
I've heard that some other kits don't include the dust seals.  I always use All-Balls.   I'm sure that other kits will be dimensionally the same, but there may be differences in the quality of the bearings.

mystic_1
mystic...would you have the All Balls kit part number handy for my K4?  Do you buy direct from All Balls?  Thanks
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #476 on: August 16, 2009, 06:48:59 am »
You need kit number 22-1011, that should fit 70-76 CB750's.  I get them from wherever is cheapest at the moment, last kit I bought was from eBay I think.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #477 on: August 16, 2009, 10:33:23 am »
You need kit number 22-1011, that should fit 70-76 CB750's.  I get them from wherever is cheapest at the moment, last kit I bought was from eBay I think.

mystic_1
Thanks a lot for the part number.  At least I know I should be on the right track and not ordering the wrong thing.  This will be my first steering bearing R&R.  This thread will be valuable...

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #478 on: August 16, 2009, 11:41:23 am »
I just did mine last night. The worst part was undoing and redoing the wiring in the headlight bucket.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
  • I know the pieces fit...
« Reply #479 on: August 16, 2009, 12:05:08 pm »
The worst part was undoing and redoing the wiring in the headlight bucket.

Not only do I have to do that, but I have to wire the handlebar controls together as well.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #480 on: August 16, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »
My top bearings sit proud too but they work great so I'm happy with them.
You do have to ditch the original bearing weather seal though as it is way too thick to fit any more.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #481 on: August 16, 2009, 06:28:12 pm »
You do have to ditch the original bearing weather seal though as it is way too thick to fit any more.
So everything is naked when you start with the new bearings.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #482 on: August 16, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »
So everything is naked when you start with the new bearings.

I don't have the seal either. Don't care, its a close fit without.

As much as the balls and races were way under engineered for the job, these tapered rollers are way overkill. Keep the power washer away, and just realize you'll have to pop it apart in the winter and put some waterproof wheel bearing grease on them if you've had a rainy riding season.

What else you got to do?   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2009, 08:23:32 pm »
Naked as a Jay bird my friend. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #484 on: August 17, 2009, 05:50:23 am »
So when it sits proud is that because the top race can not go all the way down to the lip or a combo of that and the bottom spacer deal?

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Gorms

• Barkeep! Give me a beer and a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #485 on: August 17, 2009, 06:12:35 am »
So when it sits proud is that because the top race can not go all the way down to the lip or a combo of that and the bottom spacer deal?

Neither really.  The top race does go all the way down to the lip it rests on, but the race is thicker than that depth so it sticks out.  Its fine and doesnt affect the fitment.  One slight problem I found is that the lower dust cover is a little to large and binds slightly with the inside of the steering tube when I turn the trees.  I havent greased the bearings yet so maybe that will help.

I got my All Ballz kit from Dennis Kirk.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #486 on: August 17, 2009, 06:16:03 am »

The top race being proud is purely an issue of the top race dimensions, independent of the bottom race/spacer issues, I think.

I have the PartsNMore "green box" bearings and the top one is proud also. No big deal, it justs takes you as funny looking at first.  All the pieces, top bridge etc, all fit up fine.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #487 on: August 17, 2009, 12:44:30 pm »

The top race being proud is purely an issue of the top race dimensions, independent of the bottom race/spacer issues, I think.

I have the PartsNMore "green box" bearings and the top one is proud also. No big deal, it justs takes you as funny looking at first.  All the pieces, top bridge etc, all fit up fine.
IIrc I have the same ones as you. I didn't notice the top sitting higher than the old one.

For the seal I used the supplied spacer that happens to be .040 too thick by my measurement, I put that on, then the bearing, then stretched the old seal over and onto the spacer. It kinda flopped down and seems to do the same job as it did before.   But, I just realized, I am running the goldwing front end, so the seal may be different.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

slapi01

« Reply #488 on: September 03, 2009, 04:24:58 am »
gorms, same here on the lower dust seal inside the steering tube.. anyone know if when greasing this will solve the issue? hopefully wrap this part up

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
Re: tapered steering dust seal
« Reply #489 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:23 am »
I changed my steering (cb750 k4) over to a set of tapered bearings from partsnmore.  The set didn't come with anything to seal the bottom of the neck. ???

Surely someone else has dealt with this, what did you use if anything?

Any ideas on what you could use to fab a lower seal?  Gasket material?

Anyone sell just the seal only?

Better late than never :)

I ground the stock lower bearing race from the top to about 4.2mm....that leaves about .5mm of "shoulder" to keep the stock seal down against the triple tree (did not use the thin stock flat washer to save on the stack height for headlight ear fitment issues)....use that instead of the supplied 4mm washer. The headlight ears fit OK.

--Nick
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:47:25 pm by somesuch »

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #490 on: January 25, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »
K4 - just like you guys said...on the left is my old spacer, rubber seal, race and bearing. On the right is my All Balls kit with the small spacer, seal, bearing and race. The height is perfect and I should be ready to install. The old races came out very easy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:54:41 pm by Johnie »

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #491 on: January 25, 2010, 06:05:40 pm »
I put the lower triple tree in the deep freeze for 2 hours. While it froze I packed the bearing with grease and left the bearing at room temp. I used the large All Balls washer I did not need and placed that on top of the bearing for protection. I then lightly taped on top of the washer all around the bearing and it slid on very nicely. No hard wacks were necessary. It seated perfectly and the job is done. It also helped to have the lower tree on concrete for support. You can still see the frost on the tree by the time I was done. Only took a couple minutes to seat that bearing.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2010, 11:54:30 pm »
Heating bottom bearing for install: Not sure if anyone has covered this method yet, but I used a trick I learned at a Vespa shop for installing crank bearings. . .

Heat an ordinary socket the same size as the innner race on the tappered bearing with a propane or mapp gas torch until it's like, oh, say, 240 degrees. Then place the bearing on top so that the socket is touching only the inner bearing race. Let is sit for a few minutes as it transfers heat from the socket to the bearing. Then slam that puppy on to a "frozen" steering stem with PVC pipe or alternative method. Boom.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2010, 09:27:41 am »
That is a great tip!  Put it in the Tips/Tricks Section!
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline midnightrider

• Out of the SOHC4 world for a while...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »
Resurrecting this old thread...but it has a good bearing discussion. 
So I'm getting ready to install an allballs tapered bearing kit on my '72 CB350F.

Just got off the phone with AllBalls
They say "You do not need to add grease, the grease already on the bearing is enough"

Well, I don't think the (minimal) grease on the bearings is enough...

AllBalls guys said that adding more grease can't hurt....so I'm sticking with that.

Also, the thinner washer that comes with the kit seems to be the closest to matching up with my original lower race assembly. 
1972 CB350 Four - "The Green Hornet"
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=84975.0

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can; I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.
-- Duane Allman's epitaph

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #495 on: February 23, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
I packed them.  If you look at Johnie's, they are packed.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #496 on: February 23, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »
Gosh, my bearings from AllBalls did not appear to have grease on them. Pack them...a personal packing is much better than a factory packing I say...  ;D

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline midnightrider

• Out of the SOHC4 world for a while...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #497 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »
Gosh, my bearings from AllBalls did not appear to have grease on them. Pack them...a personal packing is much better than a factory packing I say...  ;D

What grease do you guys recommend?  All I have at the house right now is some MasterPro EP Moly Grease...  (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MP02/90368.oap?pt=N0417&ppt=C0139)

Also, (with the allballs kit) the bottom seal seems to cause the outer race to drag a little when pushed against the bearing... what's up with that?

1972 CB350 Four - "The Green Hornet"
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=84975.0

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can; I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.
-- Duane Allman's epitaph

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #498 on: February 23, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »
Resurrecting this old thread...but it has a good bearing discussion. 
So I'm getting ready to install an allballs tapered bearing kit on my '72 CB350F.

Just got off the phone with AllBalls
They say "You do not need to add grease, the grease already on the bearing is enough"

Well, I don't think the (minimal) grease on the bearings is enough...

AllBalls guys said that adding more grease can't hurt....so I'm sticking with that.

Also, the thinner washer that comes with the kit seems to be the closest to matching up with my original lower race assembly. 
The bearings aren't continuously spinning like on a trans shaft. So minimal grease is fine. Too much and it just adds drag to the steering and colects crap. IMO  The load is a pounding force which they overcome with surface area. Not a traditional bearing application, like on an axle where its spinning and gets really hot.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Free Booter

• My Build: CB750k5
  • Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #499 on: May 08, 2011, 04:43:38 pm »
I just finished my 75 750K using the all balls kit. Used the thinner space and didn't use the upper dust seal. Worked perfect, just as described in the excellent photo/step by step instructions found in this thread starting about page 9 or 10.

I have A 750 K5 AND USED THE THIN SPACER ON THE \BOTTOM. sorry for caps (rubber keyboard)  Problem I'm having is getting the upper bearings to slide past the lower threads on the shaft. Also..seems like the shaft is just barely long enough to thread into the cap at all(if I use the dust seal), but even with out it .its a close fit..assuming I can even get the bearing on past the threads...I could probably "pound" it gently past that point, but I'm afraid to screw up the threads... I tried freezing the tree and putting it on(didn't heat the bearing...still doesn't slide past them. Should I tap the bearings past the threads?  Any suggestions?  bottoms went on fine(with some gentle nudging).