Author Topic: Smell of gasoline in my oil  (Read 990 times)

Offline aminemed

• Hot Shot
Smell of gasoline in my oil
« on: December 28, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »
Hi all

Had to drain my oil from my oil tank to do some paint job on the tank. I'm quite surprised that it smells so much gasoline. Is it only my CB750 or is it a common thing to have this smell?

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
Re: Smell of gasoline in my oil
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:36:40 pm »
It could mean that you have had a float stuck in a carb at one time or another, and gas was seeping into the engine which got dumped into the oil tank. That's the only way I could think of oil and gas mixed on a motorcycle.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:01:19 pm »
I always turn the petcock off to prevent gas from getting into cylinders and crankcase...

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:12:37 pm »
Yep, that's what's happened, and even if you turn your fuel off, if the washers under the petcock mounting screws are boogered, fuel will still pass thru to your carbs. If you have a sticky float valve the fuel will run into one or more cylinders, seep past your piston rings, and fill your sump, thinning your oil, and potentially ruining your engine, not to mention the potential for fire. Fix your fuel leak, then dump your oil and filter, and replace them with fresh oil and a new filter. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BobR

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 06:28:55 pm »
  Dont be like me-take care of it asap. One time I had so much gasoline seep into the engine, after it started it, was blowing out the breather! The second time it hydraulically locked! I'm surprised the engine survived my abuse. Guess I'm fortunate I was trying to kick start it the second time.  After that I rebuilt the petcock and always make sure I'd shut it off. I actually turn off the petcock while the engine is running and let it go a few seconds too. Bob
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein
 CB750K4(F2 engine)

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:52 pm »
Avoid short distance rides.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline aminemed

• Hot Shot