Author Topic: Help me rebuild some RC Webers? Or, just watch..some people just like to watch.  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
PM sent, Scottly.

The plastic ball came out.  When I peer in, I see the brass threads, and that piece of flat brass there in the piece on the left in your last picture.  I was not able to identify the size of the jet.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Any luck with the other carb yet? I was looking at Pierce's site and I couldn't find accelerator pump springs. The one I have is wound from .016" wire, has a free length of 2.15", and has 17 full coils.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline goaarongo

• Enthusiast
  • zen and the art of angle grinding
I'd like to keep this thread live too.  Wanna see these things running...

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Yep, I got the other one, not sure what size choke. Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
Any luck with the other carb yet? I was looking at Pierce's site and I couldn't find accelerator pump springs. The one I have is wound from .016" wire, has a free length of 2.15", and has 17 full coils.

Haven't tried it yet.  I'm soaking it in Kroil until Thursday at the earliest.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
I was able to remove the spill jet from the second body. The pump rod and piston also came out of that one today after soaking for a week. So far, I need one replacement body, a pump spring, two new spill jets (55's were installed), new chokes, and two new pump balls.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:51:22 pm by Greggo »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Gregg, does your pump spring measure the same as mine? The two springs should be reasonably close to each other so both cylinder pairs get an equal shot. I can only part with one pump ball, which leaves me with one spare. Maybe Bill can supply the second?
BTW, please measure the length of the pump rods, as they were made in at least 4 different versions: the longer the rod, the greater volume of fuel expelled.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
Gregg, does your pump spring measure the same as mine? The two springs should be reasonably close to each other so both cylinder pairs get an equal shot. I can only part with one pump ball, which leaves me with one spare. Maybe Bill can supply the second?
BTW, please measure the length of the pump rods, as they were made in at least 4 different versions: the longer the rod, the greater volume of fuel expelled.

I forgot to check the spring length today, but after getting the second one out I feel as though I should replace that one too.  I will also measure the rods...very glad I got those out without breaking thepiston hook.  I misspoke earlier while posting from my phone...I lost one pump ball (I know the general area where it may be, and will continue to look for it), but two have yet to come out of their holes.  I tried blowing, poking, soaking, and nothing seems to get them to budge.  Thoughts on getting those out?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Mic the pump ball.. Hydrauiic or power trsnsmission place may have them.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:55:40 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Swoop

The Czech guy on eBay sells the springs.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
Bill is sending me his spare carb for me to harvest (Thank you Bill!) So I'll soon have a better idea of what I will still need to get these running.  I will likely buy some parts from the czech seller.

Thanks for the help along the way guys!

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
Gregg, all boxed up, should ship today, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
Gregg on the way, USPS Priority,  $35.00.  ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
Should have lots of spares left over to send back when these are tuned up!  You running webers on anything Bill?

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
Soon,  over the winter on a stroker motor. ..big un!  ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Gregg on the way, USPS Priority,  $35.00.  ;D, Bill
Dang Billy, you could have shipped the carb plus a couple of bricks for $17.90 in a large flat-rate box. Priority can be cheaper for light objects, like a sprocket cover that cost $6.00, but once you get over a certain weight the flat-rate is the way to go. ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
Yep, but I wanted to make sure he got it in good shape!   ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
A large flat rate Priority box is 12"x12"x6"; plenty of room for a Weber with lots of room for padding. You can pack a lot of weight into a box that size. ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
Yes  , you can. I've had too many things damaged, my thoughts not enough b I x for a hard to find good Weber  carb. Drop something heavy or abuse it, it won't take much. Believe me rotors, discs, heavy hardware that's not aluminum I try and use large flat rate box. Shipping 101 by Scottly and Bill, by far Mike Rieck boxes up stuff better than anyone I've seen, he can port a little too!! Haha.Lol,  Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
Package showed up, but I can't get to it until Friday.  Thanks Bill!

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
This one from Bill cleaned up real nice. 

Offline BPellerine

• Master
looks good greggo.bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
One down, one to go.  The body pictured here was Bill's spare.  I'm either going to have to transfer the throttle butterfly arm from the other body, or chop the excess off this one at that brass bolt on the right so it will fit in the manifold with the left bank.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
If you decide to change shafts, make sure you have new seals.  Air leaks there will cause no end of tuning frustrations.  Also be aware that the shafts are very weak were the butterfly fits through, and will bend / distort easily, making them useless.  The screws holding the butterfly(s) are meant to be single use, however I have reused them, but added a drop of Loctite (blue).  Make sure to mark each butterfly's as to it's position /orientation, they have a tapered edges for proper sealing at idle.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
If you decide to change shafts, make sure you have new seals.  Air leaks there will cause no end of tuning frustrations.  Also be aware that the shafts are very weak were the butterfly fits through, and will bend / distort easily, making them useless.  The screws holding the butterfly(s) are meant to be single use, however I have reused them, but added a drop of Loctite (blue).  Make sure to mark each butterfly's as to it's position /orientation, they have a tapered edges for proper sealing at idle.

I think I'll just hack off the excess instead of swapping.