Author Topic: turn signals offering no love  (Read 1317 times)

cbcoker

turn signals offering no love
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:15:46 pm »
The turn signals on my cb350f aren't working. I removed the headlight assembly, to paint it, and when I put everything together none of the signals work (they used to all work). Strange thing is that when I try to used the turn signals the only thing that will happen is that the left rear turn signal illuminates but doesn't flash. Other than that nothing. Any ideas? I believe that everything is hooked up right and will recheck things tomorrow.

Another question, are the 12v flashers on the bike generic? Meaning will any three prong, 12v flasher unit work?

Thanks for any ideas...

Offline Patrick

• Expert
Re: turn signals offering no love
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:21:20 pm »
Did you paint the area where the signals mount? If they ground to the mount you may have painted your ground away....

Patrick
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:51:26 pm »
What you are describing is a classic ground problem. Locate the ground wire or establish a new one and all will be well.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:22:57 pm »
It didn't dawn on me why the reflector fittings are grounded until I removed one.  If your front lights ground to the forks, then the forks have to be grounded.
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

cbcoker

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:23 pm »
yes, probably is a ground issue but why would the one rear light up and the other do nothing when they were not touched?

Offline superchode

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 08:10:50 am »
yes, probably is a ground issue but why would the one rear light up and the other do nothing when they were not touched?

the rear signals are tied to the fronts, as you can well imagine.  not only do you need good connections for proper operation, but you also need the right circuit wattage. if you the front goes offline, you're quite likely to loose the ability to flash.

i wouldn't even worry about the details, just fix your ground connections... things should return to normal operation.

cbcoker

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:12:03 am »
I am going  out to the garage today. I'll let ya'll know.

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 11:38:56 am »
you fixed it yet cbcoker?
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

cbcoker

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 02:33:46 pm »
yes sir, she is working like a swiss clock. she does lefts and rights, it amazing. thanks yall