Author Topic: what are frame differences btwn 76 f &k models of 750's  (Read 2213 times)

Offline amamet

what are frame differences btwn 76 f &k models of 750's
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:30:34 pm »
i ask b/c i have a 76 cb750f with bad tank, seat, rear fender and side covers and would like to know if i could swap a tank,seat, side covers and rear fender from a k (which look better anyway)?  basically make my f look like a k

thanks

allen

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
Re: what are frame differences btwn 76 f &k models of 750's
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:40:50 pm »
i ask b/c i have a 76 cb750f with bad tank, seat, rear fender and side covers and would like to know if i could swap a tank,seat, side covers and rear fender from a k (which look better anyway)?  basically make my f look like a k

thanks

allen

The tank will not be a problem by itself. I'm pretty sure you will have to use the F side covers as the K will not fit (I can double check when I get home). The seat you are kind of stuck as the F seat mounts and the K mounts are totally different. the 71-76 seat doesn't even hinge on the same side. You can;t use the K tank with the F seat as the tank is too short and there will be an ugly gap. My best advice is to either make your own seat pan or get a cafe syle seat pan that you can bolt the F hinges on to (on the F the seat hinge plate is removable, on the K it is welded). I don't advise you bolting the F hinge to the K pan as you will have to strip the seat to the pan, and then figure out a lock (the lock bosses are not even on the same side of the frame. You can't use the 77-78 K seat either as it will be too short as well and it's mounts are a different type also.
Maintenance Matters Most

sirg

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:40:15 pm »
Looks like your wanting to do to your F what i am doing to my 78F. So far it has not been easy but its comming along.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:47:22 am »
I don't know why you guys don't just go and buy K bikes instead of trying to convert. They made way more K's than F's, there has to be some in your area for sale. If anything there has to be at least one roller with a locked up engine that could donate its frame and bodywork to your bike.
Maintenance Matters Most

sirg

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:03:28 pm »
I don't know why you guys don't just go and buy K bikes instead of trying to convert. They made way more K's than F's, there has to be some in your area for sale. If anything there has to be at least one roller with a locked up engine that could donate its frame and bodywork to your bike.

750's in my area are few and far between. I wanted a K in the first place but the F was all i could find.
 SG