Author Topic: brake lines  (Read 1297 times)

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
brake lines
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:51:28 am »
Is there a way to clean out plug up break lines. They are in great shape on the out side This is a 1982 nighthawk 650. To the best of my knowledge the bike has set for about 5 years or so more likely more and way its been in a garage all the time  like I said the hoses look almost new on the out side just a little plug up. I use the mighty vac and it holds vac very well any ideas would be appreciated
Pete

Offline 540nova

• Hot Shot
Re: brake lines
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:16:56 pm »
Disconnect both ends of the line and blow compressed air through it. But if it was me I would bite the bullet and replace the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 12:35:57 pm »
What are they plugged up WITH?  Can you ever be sure you got 100% of it out?  Can you be sure that said deposits (likely formed by crystalization) have not compromised the inner linings?

You really shouldn't put anything into them that isn't either air or brake fluid.  Any cleaner that would erode the deposits would also likely attack the rubber. 

I suppose you could soak them in a bucket of plain water for a while and then try to blow them out with compressed air, or brake fluid under pressure.

I'd personally have a hard time trusting them afterwards, though. 

How much is it worth to you to be able to stop when you want?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:23 pm »
Thanks guys for the reply, I'm just thinking that I want to get everything running  before I tare it down. For safety they should be replaced and by the end of the build they will be Thanks again
Pete

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:10:36 pm »
I would think spray can of "Brake Cleaner" :P would be just what the doctor ordered.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 08:01:12 am »

I would think spray can of "Brake Cleaner" :P would be just what the doctor ordered.

Doesn't brake clean eat rubber?

Replace the lines, they might be plugged with deteriorating rubber. Sometimes the lines collapse from the inside. Not something you want to find out about on an off ramp.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:22:58 pm »
You can dissolve the dried brake fluid with denatured alcohol. Just let it drip through. As others have said I would trash those lines. If I were you I would trash them now to resist temptation to use them.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
Re: brake lines( up date)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »
I did get them cleaned out. I boiled water and set them in it for about a half hour,Then blew them out real good .(Thanks mystic) Put them on and vac out the air took a while didn't know if there was a procedure for doing the duel disk breaks I just jump back and forth until all the air was out.
Now just so you all know I will change these out before I even go on the road, There 33 years old its time, actually on the hose you can read the date of 1981 on them They do look good this bike has been garage. I have to move this bike in and out of a 8x8 shed to work on it having that front brake will make it easier Thanks all for the tips
Pete

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »
Sounds good. When you decide to get lines check out SlingshotCycles.com. Great stuff and the guy (Pampadori) is a member. He's got a coupon code for us to use...I think it's 'SOHC4'.

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 01:26:36 pm »
Sounds good. When you decide to get lines check out SlingshotCycles.com. Great stuff and the guy (Pampadori) is a member. He's got a coupon code for us to use...I think it's 'SOHC4'.
Great I just book marked the site for when I am ready
Thanks
Pete