Author Topic: 77 550 fuel line question  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
77 550 fuel line question
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:45:47 pm »
Hi everyone,
I had to take the gas tank off my 77 550K in order to put on a new throttle cable. The problem is that I screwed up and didn't take note of how the fuel line was routed. Now, this is NOT the fuel line that connects to the petcock. This is the one that is on the underside of the tank, near the front area where the tank sits on those rubber bungs that stick off the frame , and routes to the back of the bike, I'm guessing as some sort of breather hose or overflow or something.

I routed it to where I think it's supposed to end up, which is by the little fuel lines connected to the carbs. They all end basically at the swingarm pivot. But the hose sits on top of the motor, which to me just doesn't seem right. I would think it would heat the hose and melt a hole in it.

Can anyone tell me exactly what that line is, how it's supposed to be routed and where it's supposed to end up? I didn't do a search because, although I'm calling it a fuel line, I'm guessing that's not the technical name for it so I don't really know what to search for.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Offline ieism

• Expert
Re: 77 550 fuel line question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:59:52 pm »
I think it prevents your tank from going vacuum, and it ends at the swingarm pivot like your other hoses. It normally doesn't touch the engine, so you probably have taken a wrong turn somewhere.
There is a diagram in one of the workshop manuals that I have (probably Clymers), If you can't solve it you can send me an e-mail and I'll scan it and send it to you friday.

ivar.eisma@euronet.nl
---cb550---

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:18:16 am »
It connect to the hole from the area under the flap around the filler so that when you spill fuel it dont just sit there
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:21:30 am »
Thanks for the replies. I have the Clymer manual, and to me that's basically worthless. I've looked up about 10 different things in it so far, and the book has been so watered down it doesn't tell me much of anything. Definitely doesn't replace the OEM shop manual.

Jeff

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
    • My Cafe 550 Project Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:36:47 am »
If it is the tube that comes out of the top of the engine itself then it is not a fuel line but the "scavenging" (?) tube that connects at the bottom of the stock air filter housing.

What are folks doing with this tube when going to pod filters?   Just letting it hang off the back of the engine?

Doug
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 06:38:33 am »
No, this line isn't connected to the engine, but the underside of the gas tank. It's just the way that I currently have it routed that it's resting on top of the engine, which isn't right.

Jeff

nstntly

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:19 am »
the hose clips into a holder under the tank then goes rearward at the rubber boot that holds down the tank,   goes straight down if long enough ( you may have to lengthen)  actually it does have an inline fitting that connects two house about 20 inches long each,   hose ends up with all other hoses down by swing arm.

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:03:56 am »
the hose clips into a holder under the tank then goes rearward at the rubber boot that holds down the tank,   goes straight down if long enough ( you may have to lengthen)  actually it does have an inline fitting that connects two house about 20 inches long each,   hose ends up with all other hoses down by swing arm.

That's the one! Thanks very much!
Jeff

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 06:29:17 pm »

What are folks doing with this tube when going to pod filters?   Just letting it hang off the back of the engine?

Doug

don't mean to hijack the tread but,
Good question, mine is justa hangin". I wondered what others did also
Lee
92 HERITAGE