Author Topic: 1975 D&K single engine dragster for sale in Florida.  (Read 910 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
1975 D&K single engine dragster for sale in Florida.
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:26:43 am »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,152621.0.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/5264763118.html

For those of you who are interested in vintage custom chassis drag bikes, here is one for sale in the Miami Florida area.  There are several of us who have this vintage lay down D&K frame and associated components.  They don't become available all too often, so contact him if you have an interest.  I spoke with him, and he sounds like a pleasant and reasonable guy who genuinely is into these things among other cb750 hipo engines/components.

Just passing it along.  There are a number of vintage lay down cb750 dragsters out there capable of making some races next season.  Could be fun, the more the merrier.  Benton alone has two, a D&K and a Chapman. ;)

George

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:31:09 am by gschuld »

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
Re: 1975 D&K single engine dragster for sale in Florida.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 04:09:18 pm »
George; Will you have your bike at the Spring MAN CUP in 2016 with those fine carbs you built ????  Would like to see those carbs on FRANK in the 10's SOHC 750 based drag bike as a comparison to the flat slides he now is running..... I will send him my new set of 34mm flat slides to compare with his 36mm= who knows maybe your hand built carbs might show them all a secret trick.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:57:05 pm »
Pops,

Not sure when I'll make it to a man cup event.  I'm preparing for a season of vintage road racing next year. 4 USCRA, 1 AHRMA, 1 VRRA events planned if all goes is well.  That's a lot of 5 day weekends full of traveling.  Only two of those events are here in NJ.  I actually just sent my bored carbs back down to Billy as he hasn't had the time to dyno tune the 34s that he put on.  So for the last race event he'll use my bored carbs again since he dyno tuned them to work on the 915 "mini cobra" on the cobra girl.  So we will get some more data on them next weekend, and see if he improves his times from the last Man Cup round that he used them on previously.

I've had to suspend motorcycle activities for a short while on account of unrelated issues.  Back on it shortly.  I wouldn't be the best test subject as I have no intention to set a bike up properly to try to compete in ET street.  I simply won't have the consistency.  Coming to a Man Cup event for me would be far more about socializing than racing.  If I do show, I'll bring something entertaining to run though....  hopefully I won't embarrass myself.

I intend to get out to the local drag strip this spring to learn the two wheeled ropes.  I've been in the 11s in a 1960s vintage traction limited street tire vehicle, but I had TWO tires driving the car ;).  I'm guessing the bike will present a different set of challenges.  I look forward to it.

The bored carbs belong to my newly minted Mike Rieck built "restomod" 1005cc motor full of obsolete RC Engineering parts.  Thanks Mike, I'll try really hard not to break it....

I doubt that the bored carbs will prove to be anything special when compared to quality 30-34 carbs.  I'm thrilled they managed to support just north 100hp on Billy's 915.  I suspect that motor would run stronger, at least above 7000rpm or so, with larger carbs like the 34s.  It would be great to see Billy get in the 10s for the first time with the bored carbs.  Then when he switches to a bigger set, we'll see how much power was left on the table when he gets it on the dyno and track.  I may well make a clone set of the bored carbs for further testing, perhaps Frankie will give them a go...

George
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:11:23 pm by gschuld »

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:01:09 pm »
Well George, if all goes well, I'll be putting together a very similar engine over the winter for a mono shock street ET/ super eliminator bike. I'd surely be open to trying a stock set but wonder if we could bore a set of PD carbs instead. I'm more familiar with tuning those and like the accelerator pump option of those carbs. I've got several nice sets as cores and what turned out to be a junk set I got from Benton. Press in jets are easy enough to get from several sources for these carbs also. I believe one of our members did a comparison flow test of each type carbs. I can't remember the results now but I think the PDs can hold their own against the earlier model carbs once tuned properly. We'll touch base once the race season is over and you have time to dedicate to a carb project.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:22:00 am »
Looks like it got relisted on ebay starting at $2K
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.