Author Topic: After market cam chain tensioner for CB400f  (Read 1263 times)

Offline sargehopp

• none
After market cam chain tensioner for CB400f
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:06:40 am »
I'm building a CB400f for AHRMA racing.  I heard from another racer about cam chain tensioners made from a harder, more slippery material than the OEM part.  Is there such a thing and who makes them?

T. Sanders
Winter Springs, FL

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
Re: After market cam chain tensioner for CB400f
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:59:04 am »
There was a guy who made them in South Africa -- been a couple years since I was looking, but if you do some searching you might find 'em. I think they were around $150. He's a 400F racer.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:08:46 am »
I've never heard of any aftermarket slippers. However David Silver Spares offers a "pattern" piece which is a cheaper (price wise)copy of the OEM part. I do believe I saw somewhere an aftermarket tensioner arm, but sorry can't remember where I saw that.

There are a couple guys in Europe that have modified a CBR600 camchain tensioner to work in a CB500/550. I know one fellow that went that route then abandoned it because the sliding surface didn't hold up to the roller chain. (as opposed to the hyvo chains.)

Good luck in your endeavors.

EDIT: cc is talking about Kevin TTR400. He's a 400F guru and is a great parts craftsman. You should indeed check him out if you're racing a 400F.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:12:26 am by bwaller »

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:55:56 pm »
I've never heard of any aftermarket slippers. However David Silver Spares offers a "pattern" piece which is a cheaper (price wise)copy of the OEM part. I do believe I saw somewhere an aftermarket tensioner arm, but sorry can't remember where I saw that.

There are a couple guys in Europe that have modified a CBR600 camchain tensioner to work in a CB500/550. I know one fellow that went that route then abandoned it because the sliding surface didn't hold up to the roller chain. (as opposed to the hyvo chains.)

Good luck in your endeavors.

EDIT: cc is talking about Kevin TTR400. He's a 400F guru and is a great parts craftsman. You should indeed check him out if you're racing a 400F.

That is correct sir!