Author Topic: New national record for Super Eliminator  (Read 13898 times)

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
Re: New national record for Super Eliminator
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2015, 04:14:00 am »
S/E RACERS: Those [ TONY LEE ] rules are very strict and have many rules = to stops the cheaters...... I watched those folks spend lots of time after the race to prove they fit IN THEIR CLASS.  Many brought their bikes back home in boxes to have the motors put back together after the tear downs to set a record or class win ...... Man Cup S/E racers might get together and make some adjusted rules that would be fair. Who could be the tech person that checks all these record setters and class winner at the end of the day. At PRO-STAR the person who CHECKED MSP Pro-Stock bike winner got it wrong most times until MSP JOE showed him how to measure for size !!!!!

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2015, 06:27:06 am »
Cup decided not to push tear downs. Not sure if Baxter is the one doing tech.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2015, 07:58:57 am »
Better get frame kits boys. I watched the Japanese team remove then tear down their engine on the salt at Bonneville. Wasn't pretty and they did not know how to get the top end off so it wasn't quick but he is in the books. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2015, 08:17:19 am »
My records were Dragbike! USA, they had their Northwest Nationals in Spokane WA and I was from Seattle.
All the classes (XH - I told Tom Laughlin it meant Extinct Honda) for SOHC motors were soft, in fact there was a 15% displacement factor (in our favour) to run in the open classes.
All my Glory Days stuff is boxed away, someday I'll get it out again, I have only one picture of our Top Fuel car by the computer. You'd never know a drag racer lives in my wife's house.
My quickest was 10.00 @ 143mph XH/MB in Comp. That was the 736cc stock rods & piston (grenade) motor 754 Frank mentioned.
I won that event, and Yes I had it torn down WITH PRIDE for record verification.  ;D ;D ;D
Don't remember the other numbers, but also ran my street bike in Production Eliminator for the Stock - Super Stock - Experimental Stock records back then. Your dial in was based on the class national record, so it really helped to be able to run the number.  ::)
Good luck guys!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:20:11 am by NitroHunter »
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2015, 06:50:28 am »
10.00@143mph, the best in the land on a S/E SOHC/750 based HONDA in 1320'.  Was this a Bar or NO-BAR bike ?????

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2015, 08:18:13 am »
I had a beautiful chromed with blue anodised braces 60" Kosman bar on it, but with such little launch torque - small displacement, no boost, extremely low compression, only ridiculous RPMs to get it moving - it was only along for the ride.    ::)
But damn it looked good.  ;D ;D ;D
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline voodooracer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2015, 04:03:19 am »
Anyone wishing a copy can PM me here or on facebook with your email address and I'll send it your way. Or send me an e-mail using that little envelope thingie.

Keith LeBlanc
Beech Island, SC
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:55:45 am by voodooracer »

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2015, 09:32:53 am »
The funny thing about S/E racing : In the end it's just a bracket race = RIGHT...... who cares if you are cheating a little, in NASCAR they call it a honest mistake. But you should get a break out factor for the changing DA's, wind, temp, track surface, and hot lap back to the line, in the late rounds as some folks run the same bike in more than one class = FRANK in the 10's.
1993 IDBA S/E lineup = Jace Wooldridge 9.18, John Jacob 9.939 Jack Daniels 9.718 Larry Dawley 9.886 Jeff Boyer 10.140 Scott Grigaliunas 11.352  John Watson 12.909  Pete Laub 10.939  Rob Morissette 9.196  Donald Ross 14.200 Paul Cooksey 11.546 Brian Pretzael 9.201  Bill Richards 8.720  as you can see 8.72 to 14.200 was the spread of numbers at the FIRECRACKERS NATIONAL IDBA in Colmbus, Ohio 1993.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2015, 12:33:06 am »
Pops, you reckon I should just go ahead and add the blue bottle now?" Shoot for the 9 second zone??

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2015, 06:40:32 am »
NO-NO-NO : Just freshen up that tired old motor that ran 10.42 = it's a bracket race bike remember ...... Only numbers you want to change are the numbers on the check that MAN CUP gives you for winning the event !!!!!!! Do not be the DREAMERS that say look at my  MPH or ET [ after spending thousands of dollars ] on a time slip, be the winner that gets the $$$$$$ on that check and the 1099 IRS ticket to pay your taxes on your " Efforts Equals Results $$$$$$ ". No tracks pay in cash = my favorite way to keep my money.

Offline voodooracer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2015, 08:42:30 am »
If you have sent me a request for the rules and have NOT received them, Except for Keith and Sam, please let me know by replying here.
I've sent an email to everyone who asked. I should start a new thread concerning just this item.

Keith LeBlanc

Offline voodooracer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2015, 04:53:37 am »
Here's a link to a searchable data base Bill Baxter maintains for the old records from several different drag racing organizations, all of which no longer exist.

http://www.dragbike.com/super-eliminator-records/

Offline joe p

• Enthusiast
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2015, 05:30:12 am »
dragracer I have to agree with POPS 110% on this. I wasted time and money trying to go fast and won very little.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2015, 06:13:34 am »
dragracer I have to agree with POPS 110% on this. I wasted time and money trying to go fast and won very little.

Pops took my statement for what it was: Humor. And you are correct, going fast has never paid off except for heads up, out the back door racing. As long as there is a handicap race or an index class, spending tons of money and effort to get a quick time slip just doesn't make sense.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2015, 06:51:36 am »
The one rule S/E class needs is the PROTEST RULE = the loser of the FINAL [ last round ] can put up money [ $150-300 the cost of a gasket set ] to protest the winner for a tear down, winner says "NO WAY " then the runner up get the win, check and his protest money back.  If winners bike is legal that rider gets the money for the win and the protest money the runner up posted = FAIR RULE !!!!!  We MSP protested at a PRO-STAR 1000CC race and Scooter beg MSP to drop the protest = it was against the sponsor of the class 2 bikes = his reason not to tear down both of his bikes was they didn't have any HEAD GASKETS..... BULL#$%*
 We MSP were cheating we had a "SHINE" aka Keith Dennis none better on the leave !!!!!

Online Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2015, 07:54:15 am »

Pops took my statement for what it was: Humor. And you are correct, going fast has never paid off except for heads up, out the back door racing. As long as there is a handicap race or an index class, spending tons of money and effort to get a quick time slip just doesn't make sense.
You guys are right, I just get bored easily  ;D

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2015, 08:10:33 am »
I'm sorry POPS, all due respect but I have to chuckle at this one. ;) You stated that a protest rule is needed, and then proceed to give an example where this rule was used in the past and it did not work and created a bad situation and hard feelings among the racers. So much so that you and I'm sure others are still talking about it.

I have been deeply involved with many forms of racing for decades, both as a racer and as part of rules comities as well as a tech man. I will say this... A "protest rule" or a "motor - engine claimer rule" is only good for one thing,  and that is to start problems and create bad feelings among racers. Sorry but that's the cold hard truth I have witnessed time and time again...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:15:35 am by TurboD »

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:35 am »
Any motor sports racing is a study of human nature.

We all have a little Smokey Yunick in us...  ;D

George

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:52 am »
Amen brother, some a little more than others. ...a good start would be his book Power Secrets!!  ;D And his Circle Track articles,  man was a hoot, wicked sense of humor, a real character. RIP Smokey. 
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2015, 10:13:00 am »

The other thing I learned over time is the faster I was able to go, the less I won. Being slow has it merits.

Offline voodooracer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2015, 10:42:30 am »
 All the above straight from the horse's mouth, and more, is why there is no more old school class style racing for motorcycles. N and I of the HRA pursuassion still run class style eliminators for cars, with fewer and fewer enties every year.
 You could ask any of these guys, they ain't in it for the dough. Nobody spends 25K for a record setting 305 Chevy motor in I/SA for the payout. It's a love thing, and pursuit of a record.
 Bracket racing just takes a whole lot of the technical cheating ( not all, by any means, plenty of Smokies in our game too ) out of the equation.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:02:46 am by voodooracer »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2015, 10:53:58 am »
Is that OK at the top of the page Keith ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline voodooracer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2015, 11:00:35 am »
 I'm honored, Sam, thanks for doing that.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2015, 02:43:50 pm »
Amen brother, some a little more than others. ...a good start would be his book Power Secrets!!  ;D And his Circle Track articles,  man was a hoot, wicked sense of humor, a real character. RIP Smokey.

I read his book "best damn garage in town" and it was both informative and hilarious, Smokey by all means lived a very colorful and adventurous life. I did manage to meet him once at the Indy 500 during time trials, Smokey was on the other side of the pit wall walking towards my brother and me, I asked my brother if that was Smokey Yunick and my brother replied I dunno, lets ask him. So as he walked near us my brother stopped him and asked if he was Smokey Yunick in which he replied with a smile "I sure am" and from that point on my brother and I couldn't get a word out of our mouths without tripping over our tongues. I did manage to shut my mouth long enough to get a pic with him though.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2015, 12:37:29 pm »
TURBO: You ever wonder why IDBA, PRO-STAR, AMA DRAG RACING and AHDRA are all gone ????? Watched the rules in all those venues for a few folks be bent over for their friends and sponsors. All rules are a threat = you ever go over the speed limit on the road, we all do !!!!!  A few simple rules [ threats ] keeps the herd heading in some what of a DIRECTION for a good day at the track.