Author Topic: First Modern Bike - Trouble Shooting  (Read 1847 times)

Offline jimbojangles

• Enthusiast
First Modern Bike - Trouble Shooting
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:58:51 am »
Hey Everyone,

I finally own my first truly modern bike (VFR1200f) and am completely baffled by a noise that's driving me crazy. This is my first bike with FI and really any sort of technology. I'm having a hard time getting input from other owners, but thought this forum has helped me out so much over the years that maybe the group of experts here might have an idea. I don't have any other modern bike experience to compare this to.

The bike is a 2013 and I got it this summer with only 3,000 miles. I think it was babied and likely not ridden much. It looks brand new.

This is what's happening. It starts and idles perfectly smooth. No noises and runs great. However, it makes this rattle in the engine area as soon as I come to my first stop at the end of my street. (Again. Idling in garage=great. Drive down street=engine noise starts) The sound goes away when given throttle and clutch position makes no difference. It only does it when the engine is still cold and after driving it about a block. It will make this noise each time the engine returns to idle (when coming to a stop) until the engine is warm and then it will completely stops. It feels like this sound is related to when the bike is coming off of the enrichment circuit and fast idle. The noise seems to stop in alignment with the bike coming to operating temperature and normal idle speed.

Any thoughts on this? 

My ideas:
1. CCT - They are internal on this bike, can't really check
2. Maintenance - changed oil and air filter. Spark plugs look OK
3. It's normal ignore it.
4. It's gonna 'splode

1974 CB350F
2013 VFR1200F

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
Re: First Modern Bike - Trouble Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 02:17:25 pm »
Is there a chain in that motor?

Offline jimbojangles

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »
Yep, cam chains. I suspect a primary chain as well.
1974 CB350F
2013 VFR1200F

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:32:01 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 02:29:49 pm »
My VFR750 has gear driven cams, Honda cheaped out early in the VFR800 model run and went back to cam chains with crappy tensioners like they did with the VTR1000F's and CCT failure was common. Is the VFR1200 engine a whole new design, or a bored and stroked VFR800? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jimbojangles

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
Thanks for the links Don. I read them before, but they didnt totally ease my mind. One guy says he replaced it for $1500. Other people say they've ignored it for 30,000 miles.   

What i dont get is why the noise only happens after ive driven about a block. I would think cct noise would be present right upon startup. It also goes away rather suddenly as soon as things get warmed up.

As far as engine design goes, this is a totally redesigned motor. Its not a vtec and actually has single overhead cams.
1974 CB350F
2013 VFR1200F

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »
  I have a gl1000 that has cam belt idler bearings going out. I first heard them 15 hours from home on Mt. Rushmore. Going down the exhaust noise got quieter going down the hill and I could hear the shhhhhhhhhhhh from the bearings. I decided against going to the Colorado meet-up, took it easy coming home and made it. This winter it gets new idlers.

Sometimes riding next to a wall noises are easier to hear, downhill or in a big tail wind the exhaust can get quieter too. Just a thought.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:33 pm »
is the cam chain tensioner hydraulicly operated with the engine oil?
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline jimbojangles

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:03:56 am »
I think I have the issue sorted. I think I had a gunked up injector. I finally had a chance to take the bike on a long run at high speeds. Before I left I added some fuel injector cleaner and haven't noticed the noise since I got back. I've also noticed less vibration at cruising RPMs. I thought that buying a bike with fuel injection would save me from dealing with varnished carbs, but I guess there's still going to be issues with a 4-year-old bike that only had 3,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the help.
1974 CB350F
2013 VFR1200F

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:27 am »
Yeah mate, if you don't ride them often enough, any bike will give you trouble. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)