Author Topic: RC rods questions  (Read 8257 times)

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
Re: RC rods questions
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2015, 08:28:44 am »
That pic was before the neck was raked. It looked way cooler after that. The seat height is 20"
I really wish there were decent wider tires available when I bought the rear wheel, I sure love the look of the modern gigantic hoops!
The mag is the Mallory Sprint unit I of course got through RC. Overkill but it just looks like it wants to electrocute you if you get too close.  8) 8) 8)
It needs a retard - not just the one on the seat.  ;D
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2015, 08:38:21 am »
What years was that ..its fuzzy. Back then
How much were the wheels, and PM brakes ? How wide is the rear ? 18 inch I presume..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2015, 08:48:23 am »
That pic was before the neck was raked. It looked way cooler after that. The seat height is 20"
I really wish there were decent wider tires available when I bought the rear wheel, I sure love the look of the modern gigantic hoops!
The mag is the Mallory Sprint unit I of course got through RC. Overkill but it just looks like it wants to electrocute you if you get too close.  8) 8) 8)
It needs a retard - not just the one on the seat. ;D
So you're saying telepathy didn't work?? :o ;D ;D ;D ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2015, 09:41:11 am »
Both of you guys are funny!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2015, 04:16:04 pm »
I met Robby at the drags in Kent Washington at the fall finals, late 80,s I think.
He had the F with blue anodized wheels, and turbo, but at that time not sorted and running quick..
Since then he had been up here at our local track with his dragster buddies..

In light of his accomplishment using mostly stock components, and taking them ....probably further than anyone on this planet...he has cult status.....at least in my view...

At one time he described opening it up on a Seattle freeway.. That must have been ..very exciting to put it mildly..he actually rode the beast on the street ..as well as racing it..
that would be a wild street ride!could not imagine the look on the peoples faces as he passed them!getting it all out of a stock engine is a big achievement in my books.billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2015, 05:50:45 pm »
My new hero!!!

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2015, 08:37:29 am »
Mike, the pucker-factor detonation detector got a lot sharper over time.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Needs an air operated mag retard like we use on the nostalgia car, a great tuning aid.

Frank, the rear wheel fits a 7" slick.  That Kosman arm is a whopping 6" over which was practically unhead of for a street bike back then. Not much by today's no-bar standards, but built just large enough so my big nitros bottle fit in that space... Oh but that's another story for another thread.  ::)
The turbo was a way different animal than the other hot rods I'd had before then, it took a while (can you say operator error) to get it straitened out. And yes, after I went out on the road, when we'd come back to Seattle for the NHRA national event, I'd ride it to the track and park it in front of our pits. Mag side out of course. Just a cool pro street look in the nitro pits.
FYI the speedo on this bike was surprisingly accurate, as verified by time slips. It saw some go-directly-to-jail numbers on occasion.  ;)

Enough about my old stuff!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2015, 01:56:17 pm »
I like hearing your stuff myself. Good to know what others have done to get these sohc's to haul butt.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2015, 02:36:22 pm »
 I enjoy hearing/reading stories about the "old days"....seriously. I lived through them and some of my fondness memories are prior to computers, VCR's and ATM's. It's just when people want me to put the parts from those days into engines. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2015, 02:45:22 pm »
It's just when people want me to put the parts from those days into engines. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

???  ............ ;D ............... :-X

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »
Mike Rieck....curator....... 8) ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »
It's just when people want me to put the parts from those days into engines. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

???  ............ ;D ............... :-X
George resembles that remark. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2015, 05:16:41 pm »
I think that with a pile of old parts, modern pistons, and a good supply of blocks and cranks..
 That Ten Flat Robbie and I could come up with something interesting..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2015, 05:31:10 pm »
Interesting things are happening RIGHT NOW...  with old "facaca" parts returning to active service. ;)

George

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2015, 05:34:56 pm »
I think that with a pile of old parts, modern pistons, and a good supply of blocks and cranks..
 That Ten Flat Robbie and I could come up with something interesting..
ok you gotta do it Frank!!billp
another anfob

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2015, 09:43:29 pm »
Yeah, go ahead and put a monster together fellas. We'd all be interested to see what you guys come up with from parts and pieces on hand.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2015, 09:48:37 pm »
Mike Rieck....curator....... 8) ;D, Bill

Mike knows about old parts, that's for sure!  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 04:40:43 pm »
has anyone ever seen the welded up stock rods?bill

Bill,

Because you asked. ;)

Just to throw this in here from the history file.  It's the best image and description I have of the RC Engineering early 70s welded up boxed rods, which came before the short lived RC forged aluminum rods, which was before the RC billet golden rods.

George
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:42:39 pm by gschuld »

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »
cool pic George,must have been a ton of work to make a really heavy rod!billp
another anfob

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2016, 07:30:19 pm »
Yes especially since Carillo rods were available for cb750 since 1973 at least.

George

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2016, 03:46:24 am »
George,

New owner is A-OK with Carrillo's, he has learned the Goldenrods were not all they were cracked up to be, and steel rods are better for a turbo application.

I hope to God Russ don't see this thread.  hahahahaha

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2016, 09:51:39 am »
Long ago I held a set of Boxed Rods out of an SOHC injected alky burner midget racer thing. Looked pretty cool (kinda like a slab side aluminium rod), probably quite strong, but OMG heavy - made stockers feel like featherweights. Don't know who made those particular units, but the welds were nice.  ::)
That entire motor was really trick with the fuel pump driving off the end of the cam.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2016, 11:44:47 am »
George,

New owner is A-OK with Carrillo's, he has learned the Goldenrods were not all they were cracked up to be, and steel rods are better for a turbo application.

I hope to God Russ don't see this thread.  hahahahaha

Sam. ;)

Oh I don't think Russ Jr or Sr would bee too offended by what has been said.  Golden rods were used in some VERY powerful record breaking bikes.  I think their overall service record has been rather good.  No doubt about it. 

There are simply downsides to any aluminum rod, inherent to the material more than the particular supplier.  The  extra stretch that aluminum rods exhibit need to be accounted for and the fatigue lift needs to be taken into account.  Same for the MTC and Yoshimura rods from the same time period.  All of these rods have earned a good reputation, for aluminum rods.

I certainly have nothing against RC golden rods, have a few sets myself, but to be honest I don't have any motors or potential motors, that justify the need for an aluminum rods unique qualities over a high quality steel rod like a Carrillo. That didn't stop me from using a set of Goldens anyway, sorry Mike ::), in my newest big bore motor.  But it was in the interest of a sentimental RC Engineering focused build rather than using the ideal set of rods appropriate to the needs of the rest of my motor.

I have another big bore race motor going together this winter, and it has Carrillo rods this time.  It satisfies my interest in having a substantially period correct style motor (Carrillos were available for cb750s since 1973 or eariler) and they are great high quality lightweight steel rods.  I'm not planning to swap them out for another set of golden rods, even if I have them sitting here.

George