Author Topic: SOHC Racing  (Read 1929 times)

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
SOHC Racing
« on: December 29, 2015, 06:15:51 am »
Not wanting to highjack others posts.

I am wondering what happened to the talk of starting something for the SOHC racers to help promote racing these old machines?

Why the interest in 'piggy backing' in with another group (no matter how great) that is simply not setup for the old 4 strokes only to race in their handicap "index" program? At added cost to the racer..

I am failing to see any benefits of this.

Offline kmb69

• Master
Re: SOHC Racing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:07:12 am »
+1.

Online MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:16:25 am »
There is going to be a nice 836 engine in one of those Hayes aluminum frames up here in New England for next year. There was another that was to be turbo as well....haven't got the status on that one but a lot of the parts were done.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:26:28 am »
Are you thinking about the early Ralph Muldoon aluminum lay down chassis Mike? ;)

Never heard of a Hayes.

I'd love to see a proper stand alone gathering of sohc drag bikes, sohc road racers too for that matter.

There is a vintage dragbike Facebook group, but they never seem to be able to put together enough interest in having their own dedicated event.  They just get involved with other bigger events.

The best bet might be to find a good vintage car drags event, and make a big effort to advertise across the vintage dragbike makes(Triumph, Norton, Kawasaki, Harley, etc) to show up in a big group.  The vintage drag car guys would love it, and the event and infrastructure is already set up and substancial.  I wouldn't mind watching some old nitro open rail dragsters go at it. ;D

And if there is ever a perfect event to reintroduce the Sorcerer or Triclops to the world, that is it.  Everyone bring your go fast bikes full of RC parts, and make a show of it.

George

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:19:55 am by gschuld »

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:14 am »
???

Online MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:34:12 am »
Are you thinking about the early Ralph Muldoon aluminum lay down chassis Mike? ;)

Never heard of a Hayes.

I'd love to see a proper stand alone gathering of sohc drag bikes, sohc road racers too for that matter.

There is a vintage dragbike Facebook group, but they never seem to be able to put together enough interest in having their own dedicated event.  They just get involved with other bigger events.

The best bet might be to find a good vintage car drags event, and make a big effort to advertise across the vintage dragbike makes(Triumph, Norton, Kawasaki, Harley, etc) to show up in a big group.  The vintage drag car guys would love it, and the event and infrastructure is already set up and substancial.  I wouldn't mind watching some old nitro open rail dragsters go at it. ;D

And if there is ever a perfect event to reintroduce the Sorcerer or Triclops to the world, that is it.  Everyone bring your go fast bikes full of RC parts, and make a show of it.

George
Yes.....Muldoon George. Don't know what I was thinking of. ??? I think the geographical differences can be difficult for some people to deal with. It would be nice to have a single SOHC entity. Don't know how viable it is?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:38:12 am by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:12:54 am »
  https://www.good-guys.com/nn-2016

It's hard to get people together from across the country.  We are a pretty spread out group.

I can make it to Kentucky for the Nostalgia Nationals. :)

George

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 10:29:41 am »
I know that there is no easy solution to try to increase interest, and that we are a very small group in the scope of things.

Also I am thankful to everyone that has helped to promote what we have and support what we have. But as long as this effort is solely focused at one or two tracks and at certain events, I don't expect to see much new interest taking place. Even the chance at a couple thousand dollars didn't appear help much.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:40 am »
Let me know if you guys put something together and i'll be there to support you, as long as there's no conflict with the other race organizations i compete in. I race in multiple classes at those events with several different bikes.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »
I know that there is no easy solution to try to increase interest, and that we are a very small group in the scope of things.

Also I am thankful to everyone that has helped to promote what we have and support what we have. But as long as this effort is solely focused at one or two tracks and at certain events, I don't expect to see much new interest taking place. Even the chance at a couple thousand dollars didn't appear help much.

What tracks are closest to you Dave?? What would you suggest as a solution  to getting more SOHC bikes out?? Unless we get firm commitments at least one time, nothing can evolve. We felt the finals at SGMP would have brought everyone out since it was one of the biggest events of the year. It was a chance to witness some of the fastest bikes in the world in one place- not something many get to see. Its a big event and a novice racer can get imitidated by the shear numbers of bikes in attendance. I've not forgotten my first big race- i was overwhelmed at first but quickly settled in once time trials began. Maybe thats what truly kept many prospective racers away.

I know SGMP is a long ride for some, so perhaps looking for that central location that already holds a smaller event would work, as George suggested. One thing i've learned in all my years of racing and encouraging others to come out, those who truly want to race will show up no matter what.  The others only offer excuses why they can't.  The latter group is always larger than the former in most cases.

Anything you all decide, i'll support to the best of my ability.

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 02:16:27 pm »
Frank I have a number of tracks close by, along with a good amount of street racing.

If you are asking me for the answer, like anyone else I do not have it. I do however think that planning all of "our" racing in a single area will yield limited results as far as numbers go. I will also say that having said events during these big races may not be the best idea, Big events equals limited track time and higher costs for the racers. Now couple these factors along with "our big race get together" in the middle November when the weather is declining really makes things tough. My main reason for not making Valdosta this last go around was because the weather did not warrant 2 days drive time and 3 days in the cold to make a pass or two a day. I simply have too many options around here to enjoy that time.

Again I don't have an answer and very likely there isn't one. Currently I am enjoying racing my drag slot cars again now that the weather is bad, I sure would like to do more full size car drag racing this coming season. My bikes have taken a backseat for now. (even though I bought an all original 77 750F with 1900 miles an hour ago LOL)

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:44:04 pm »
+1.  The ones there saw the 3rd fastest Top Fuel run ever!!! Dave Vantine, 5.77, and he shut off or it did 150 ft from the stripe!! Yes we open to suggestions,  just making the best with what we got, Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 04:19:15 pm »
just thinking out loud,many people don't even know this goes on some even on this forum,who think that maybe a café or some other style is as far as you can go,also maybe not getting a younger interest.billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:09 pm »
What would be a central location for everyone??? Bill and I are in the southeast. I feel both of us would make the effort to meet the group for an Sohc bike race. We got Wilbur and Larry in Florida, Trey in Texas, Jon Weeks in Maine, George in NY, and Keith in Texas, others scattered elsewhere.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 03:56:04 am »
You really do have to think of the size of that country that you live in.
I'm not sure of the exact size but England is only about the size of Mississippi or there about and people here are not prepared to travel from one end to the other to compete in an event even if it is a big one, a one make one model event / class has no chance over here, what chance do you think it has of working over there.
Some people have to have several days off work to get to some big events, it costs a lot of $.

OK, let's do it, let's find the most central place in the States, Ok it's just a guess but let's take Topeka in Kansas, it looks almost central. How many people would be prepared to travel there if we did it ?
Would anyone travel from Maine, Seattle, San Diego, Laredo or Miami, how about you Dave, is it close enough.
Race your bikes local, post your results and pictures here, I'm sure people will show an interest.

Sam. ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:03:05 am by Sam Green Racing »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 06:42:26 pm »
What would be a central location for everyone??? Bill and I are in the southeast. I feel both of us would make the effort to meet the group for an Sohc bike race. We got Wilbur and Larry in Florida, Trey in Texas, Jon Weeks in Maine, George in NY, and Keith in Texas, others scattered elsewhere.
You guys get something going and I'll FINALY finsh
My turbo and join you
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 08:41:59 pm »
You really do have to think of the size of that country that you live in.
I'm not sure of the exact size but England is only about the size of Mississippi or there about and people here are not prepared to travel from one end to the other to compete in an event even if it is a big one, a one make one model event / class has no chance over here, what chance do you think it has of working over there.
Some people have to have several days off work to get to some big events, it costs a lot of $.

OK, let's do it, let's find the most central place in the States, Ok it's just a guess but let's take Topeka in Kansas, it looks almost central. How many people would be prepared to travel there if we did it ?
Would anyone travel from Maine, Seattle, San Diego, Laredo or Miami, how about you Dave, is it close enough.
Race your bikes local, post your results and pictures here, I'm sure people will show an interest.

Sam. ;)

Well #$%* Sam! Do Topeka and I'll ride in again with Godzilla. Bet we could get Motorcycle Classics involved since their headquarters is there  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)