Author Topic: My 2016 H-D XL1200 CA slowly turns into a motorcycle  (Read 7249 times)

Wobbly

My 2016 H-D XL1200 CA slowly turns into a motorcycle
« on: December 24, 2015, 03:08:31 am »
The speedometer is finally on the side of the bike it ought to be instead of being located over the tank. I got rid of these atrocious risers too. The Wilbers shocks make a dramatic difference. The tires are junk though--I probably get Avons. Now, I urgently need rear sets--which require another exhaust. Then, I need to do something with the tail section and license plate. A never ending story. The wife will have to work overtime again to pay for it all. :)

Before:

And now:

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: My 2016 H-D XL1200 CA slowly turns into a motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:11:42 am »
following...'cuz I might do an Evo Sportster cafe someday.  Are you finding rearsets available?...I have had an XR1200 and Evo Sporty side by side before and putting the XR1200 rearsets on the Sporty looked do-able.  I would have to have a chain conversion, even if the only real advantage is looks.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 02:07:09 pm »
thanks for those links...stuff looks good, those first ones looked to have a good range of positions

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 04:10:28 pm »
following...'cuz I might do an Evo Sportster cafe someday.  Are you finding rearsets available?...I have had an XR1200 and Evo Sporty side by side before and putting the XR1200 rearsets on the Sporty looked do-able.  I would have to have a chain conversion, even if the only real advantage is looks.

Good to see you've changed your mind about Harley Sportsters in only a couple of months since I bought mine Sean!

Terry, it pisses me off that I know you won't listen when I tell you how crappy your most recent motorcycle purchase is.  But hey, congrats.  I know you wanted that #$%* box for a long time.
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 04:26:41 pm »
I wouldn't go as far as putting ace bars and rearsets on my sporty, but I'm thinking about some flat tracker bars. (I've actually got some OEM Honda 1" bars off who knows what, but they're the same bend as CB750 bars, so might look OK) My 1994 XLH 1200 has only done 4000 miles from new, but the PO prettied it up with some screaming eagle shiny bits, including some stupid lowered rear shocks, he must have been 5 feet tall in his high heels, ha ha!

I bought some new Ikon 14" gas/oil rear shocks to raise the rear end which I'll probably install this week, and as mine has spoked wheels (I hate the mags on on the new Harleys) I've ordered a 60 spoke 18 inch rear wheel to fill the gap under the rear fender so it doesn't look half arsed with the jacked up rear.   

Once again, I'm not sure if I'd go the whole Flat Tracker route, but for longer distance riding, with the better shocks, bigger rear wheel and better handlebar ergonomics, it's gonna be good. All I need now is the 1400cc kit, big port heads and lumpy cam..........;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 06:11:27 pm »

Good to see you've changed your mind about Harley Sportsters in only a couple of months since I bought mine Sean!

Terry, it pisses me off that I know you won't listen when I tell you how crappy your most recent motorcycle purchase is.  But hey, congrats.  I know you wanted that #$%* box for a long time.
Yeah, I know Terry, I talk a lot of #$%*...but then maybe that's why I have lots of respect for you, the master.  But just to be concise, a Sportster (or one of its relatives such as a Buell)is the only HD I would ever own.  Fortunately, a clapped out Ironhead still gets about $3000 dollars around my neck of the woods, but you can get nearly anything else that is most likely far superior for about $2500...we will see if anything HD ever falls in my lap.  I think sportster motors are worth their weight(a lot) in fun, but the rest of the bike?...not so much without quite a bit of changes.  I find it nearly as much fun to make fun of Harleys as it is to ride them.

Wobbly

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 08:34:32 pm »
a Sportster (or one of its relatives such as a Buell)is the only HD I would ever own... I think sportster motors are worth their weight(a lot) in fun, but the rest of the bike?...not so much without quite a bit of changes.
I am with you on that one. I like the air-cooled V-2.  The keyless ignition comes in handy and I like the color on mine. That concludes the list. :)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 12:54:15 am »
Ha ha, this is my second Sporty, so I probably have a little more knowledge of the breed than some here. As much as old Iron head Sporty's are cheap, the post 1990 1200 "Evo" Sporty engine with 5 speed gearbox is a much better package.

Compared to a SOHC4 they feel very light and slim, handle way better, and are just as fast with much more torque for quicker acceleration. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, they should, considering that they're 1200cc's, but they're also the most under tuned 1200 on the market. If they had one carb (or injector) per cylinder, a bit more compression and a bit more duration on the cam, they'd kick arse. I'll work on that next.

Today I had some spare time, so I installed the new Ikon shocks to jack the arse end back up after removing the "as new" Progressive 412-4005 11" rear shocks, which make it look cool I suppose, at the expense of a near-rigid rear end. The Ikons have almost 4 inches of travel and feel better right away. I haven't had it registered yet, but it feels great just up and down my street, and doesn't bottom out over speed bumps any more.

I didn't like the "Cow Horn" bars, but didn't want to muck around shortening cables to properly install lower bars, so I dragged out a NOS pair of OEM Honda 1" bars (no idea what they're for) and installed them as well, and I really like them, the ergonomics work well with the OEM Harley pegs, and with the newly raised rear, give it a bit of a "Flat Tracker" look.

I won't do any more until I receive the 18 inch rear wheel and remove the 16" skateboard rear wheel, but I am really interested in a set of Supertrapp Flat Tracker pipes next, and I've just discovered that there's a 1660cc kit for Sporty's now, woohoo! ;D

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »
looks to be an older evo?nice sound!billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 07:21:14 pm »
Thanks Bill, it's a 1994 XLH1200, it does sound good with the Screaming Eagle mufflers, I recorded it with my iPhone so I could send it to you, but gave up trying to load it onto photobucket. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Wobbly

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:19 am »
There is one more:

http://chainsikle.com/

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:32:16 am »
Thanks for reminding me, I read your post and immediately ordered some highway pegs for my Sporty so I can stretch my legs out on a long ride! ;D

Wobbly

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 04:58:55 am »
Thanks for reminding me, I read your post and immediately ordered some highway pegs for my Sporty so I can stretch my legs out on a long ride! ;D

Well, Terry, there might be people who go on longer rides than me--but I have not yet met them personally (neither duration nor frequency). Crossing the Sahara Desert was something I did on my CB 750 with clip-on bars and café-seat. I guess, we all have different requirements. But I know, it's pretty lonely out there when I ride the Alps and Dolomites in the wintertime. Not a single GS bike either. But then Europe is a completely different playground. Back in the States, where I can see the road straight ahead to the horizon, highway pegs would probably make sense. So does a car with air conditioning. But it's not the kind of driving I am going for.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 03:22:17 pm »
Ha ha, there's nothing wrong with a little harmless boasting Wobbly, well done! But considering that the GS BMW's started the whole "Adventure tourer" market which is huge in Europe there should be at least 100 GS BMW's for every Sporty Cafe Racer in your neck of the woods, maybe you didn't notice them as they roared past you!

For me, at almost 56, comfort and performance are my two main criteria. I broke my back parachuting when I was in the Army, so riding a bike like my old bevel drive Ducati 900SS that I had before my short lived parachuting career is now out of the question. Even my old Yamaha FJ1200 "Sports Tourer" is uncomfortable after 100 miles or so.

My Sportster is my "fun" bike. I don't take it too seriously, as the ergonomics are best suited for around town. I bought it on a whim, as it reminded me of my old iron head Sporty that I had back in the 1980's. I'm 6 feet four tall, so even with the taller rear shocks installed, the riding position is still a little cramped.

I'll be riding it to Phillip Island in a couple of weeks for the annual Classic races to cheer on Cam Donald on John Trease's 130 BHP/156 MPH Sportster, so it'll be good to have the highway pegs so I can stretch out on the straighter stretches of road. It's only a bit over 100 miles each way, but that'll be long enough on my Sporty. 

Check out the two links, below, if you're not a member of Adventure Riders yet, you should join, there are guys there who have been continually circling the planet on two wheels for years, (with lots of pics of GS bikes up in the Alps too) so you'll probably feel right at home! Cheers, Terry. ;D

https://rideapart.com/articles/the-5-best-touring-motorcycles-bike-for-doing-distance
http://advrider.com/index.php

Offline DohcBikes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 04:54:32 pm »

Well, Terry, there might be people who go on longer rides than me--but I have not yet met them personally

Rode my street legal ATC200X three wheeler 1200 miles through the desert and mountain highways from arizona to nebraska.

Not a harley fan but a sportster could certainly end up in my herd someday.

For those that say a sportster is the ONLY harley they would ever buy, coming from a non- harley fan, I have 3 letters.

1.F

2.X

3.R
There's a solution to every problem.

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »

Well, Terry, there might be people who go on longer rides than me--but I have not yet met them personally

Rode my street legal ATC200X three wheeler 1200 miles through the desert and mountain highways from arizona to nebraska.

Not a harley fan but a sportster could certainly end up in my herd someday.

For those that say a sportster is the ONLY harley they would ever buy, coming from a non- harley fan, I have 3 letters.

1.F

2.X

3.R
totally disagree...even though the Eric Buell designed frame looks like it should be a big improvement, once HD got it into production?...meh.  The rubber mounted engine is a disaster.  Early ones with the Shovelhead motor?  Seriously, one of the biggest piles of mechanical garbage to ever be called a motorcycle.  Later Evo big twins have some serious issues too, not to mention even more setup challenges with low stance, unfixable forward controls, and it is HEAVY.  My buddies FXR never made it home under it's own power from a ride longer than 50 miles even ONCE in two years...and he is certified Harley mechanic.

Offline DohcBikes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 05:32:05 pm »
My buddies FXR never made it home under it's own power from a ride longer than 50 miles even ONCE in two years...and he is certified Harley mechanic.
Interesting.

As a graduate of MMI I know a lot of certified Harley mechanics that can't wipe their own nose.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:35:04 pm by DohcBikes »

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 05:45:59 pm »
My buddies FXR never made it home under it's own power from a ride longer than 50 miles even ONCE in two years...and he is certified Harley mechanic.
Interesting.

As a graduate of MMI I know a lot of certified Harley mechanics that can't wipe their own nose.
thats really funny 'cuz he went to MMI too...and says the same thing!...seriously though, he is a good mechanic

Offline DohcBikes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 05:54:31 pm »
thats really funny 'cuz he went to MMI too...and says the same thing!...seriously though, he is a good mechanic
Haha, yep there were some good ones there too. It really is a good place to learn but the 'for profit' thing is set up to allow pretty much anyone to make it through.

Good points on the FXR too but I still want one. Ever since I saw a 65 year old stand one straight up in a wheelie :)

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »
everyone makes a lemon....I've owned a lot of HD's of all years, and they were all reliable. My 89 FLHS had 108K on her when I traded it, and other than normal PM and upgrading the lifters and ignition, I just rode it. It never left me stranded anywhere. It was a big slow pig, but that's what it was designed to be. It could EAT miles though...85mph all day long without breaking a sweat in a lazyboy recliner.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 06:08:48 pm »

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline DohcBikes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 06:35:32 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
Stand by. Pics were too huge.

Edit: ok there ya go.

Bike was clearly in mockup stage and still made it the whole way. 

If you need more proof I can supply state certified documents ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:47:59 pm by DohcBikes »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 06:43:30 pm »
Start your own thread here on the other bikes board, so as not to hi-jack Wobbly's thread...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline DohcBikes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 06:48:55 pm »
Start your own thread here on the other bikes board, so as not to hi-jack Wobbly's thread...
Dont wanna make a thread. You asked so you received.