Author Topic: And Now For Something Completely Different  (Read 6282 times)

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 06:37:51 am »
Remember what happened last time non buyers "helped" price things for you?

If someone from the web posted
"I've never seen one, it must be rare.  I rare bike at barret Jackson just sold for $45k, and wasn't this nice"
Would you hold out for thst?  Or take the cash from the guy standing in front of you with $4500?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:01:32 am »
Hey PM.....what do you value that Kawi-ton at?
You do know the motor will need to be split to change all the crank seals, right? 
I had my H1 crank rebuilt by Charlie Smith in MD for $395.
When I first started posting pics pf the bike I was told it was a 5 figure bike. I've been offered $5k for it as it sits to a guy who wants to pull the Kawi motor and put a Norton 850 motor in it. I have it scheduled for seal replacement first part of Feb. I want to experience it at least once before I flip it. The mechanic who's  doing the work said it could fetch as high as $15K. I hope he knows some buyers with that kind of cake.

If it's sold before it runs I will add a stipulation that once it's running I get to take it for a ride.

This is very tricky to value as there are no comps.  It's in a category all it's own, the true Kaw & Norton guys will scoff it out, you'll need to find a buyer that can can see the value in what it is.

If you do sell to the guy that will pull the motor, plz send me his contact info.
I have an H2 roller that will need a motor one day.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 08:16:53 am »

"I've never seen one, it must be rare.  I rare bike at barret Jackson just sold for $45k, and wasn't this nice"
Would you hold out for thst?  Or take the cash from the guy standing in front of you with $4500?

I am more interested in getting the Triumph sorted as a DD. The Norton is cool and I want to ride it but it may just have to go to feed the Tiger. If I do get it running it will certainly change the value of the bike. Right now I would probably snatch the $45 out of his hand and move forward with the Tiger, but I'd like to hold out and see how far I can get with it.
Stev-o, I think the guys plan is to sell off the motor to help offset costs. I'll keep you posted. Sure would hate to see all the work that went into that exhaust system go to waste.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:26:59 am by Powderman »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 08:42:05 am »

I am more interested in getting the Triumph sorted as a DD. The Norton is cool and I want to ride it but it may just have to go to feed the Tiger. If I do get it running it will certainly change the value of the bike. Right now I would probably snatch the $45 out of his hand and move forward with the Tiger, but I'd like to hold out and see how far I can get with it.
Stev-o, I think the guys plan is to sell off the motor to help offset costs. I'll keep you posted. Sure would hate to see all the work that went into that exhaust system go to waste.

I hear ya.  I would have no use for the exhaust.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:22 am »
Got the clear coat on the powder coated wheels to complete them.  Went to mock up the M/C and find the 23" wide drag bars to just be too narrow, will replace with Superbike bars.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:28 am »

Rigth, so if it isn't actually for sale then zero use in talking value.
Any running bike is worth more then a non running bike.

Just be careful and don't cut corners just to prep it or get it running.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 02:27:25 pm »

I know they say things are only worth what some will pay for it, but that's not necessarily true. The seller has a value to it also and it may be worth more to him than what a buyer is offering. Doesn't mean it is only worth what the buyer says. You can tell me all day long this bike is only worth $4k and I guarantee you won't own it for that much.
I've got a friend who ran his own mechanics shop, his name is Jim and the shop was called JIMSS (Japanese Import Motorcycle Sales Service) He did high dollar CBX restorations. Went out of business due to partner imbezelment issues), anyways, I'm just going to pay him to do it right and quickly. He says the bike may be worth more than the $10k I think it might pull if done right. I could use $10k right about now, but I'm not counting chickens.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 02:53:56 pm »
So you are willing to put 3-5 k into it..to make it worth 10K..I dont think 4500. Is out of line..bike needs mucho work..and does not appeal to a large group of buyers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:21:38 pm by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 03:20:44 pm »

I know they say things are only worth what some will pay for it, but that's not necessarily true. The seller has a value to it also and it may be worth more to him than what a buyer is offering. Doesn't mean it is only worth what the buyer says. You can tell me all day long this bike is only worth $4k and I guarantee you won't own it for that much.
I've got a friend who ran his own mechanics shop, his name is Jim and the shop was called JIMSS (Japanese Import Motorcycle Sales Service) He did high dollar CBX restorations. Went out of business due to partner imbezelment issues), anyways, I'm just going to pay him to do it right and quickly. He says the bike may be worth more than the $10k I think it might pull if done right. I could use $10k right about now, but I'm not counting chickens.

Hey PM - no disrespect, but you are kinda contradicting yourself here.

You say we cant tell you what the value is, but then you say your mechanic says it's worth $10K?!

I hope you get $10K for it, but the bottom line is it is only worth whatever the amount of cash someone puts in your hand, not what anyone says.

I too, would love to ride it once it is running, it will be a beast!

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 07:49:24 pm »

Dont forget that not everyone whipsers high prices. 
I have talked to some in the hobby and think what you claim you already where offered was crazy high!

Seller can only say what they want for something.  They can hold out for a price and feel it is with that, but it isn't worth anything until it is sold.