Author Topic: Emulsifier tube direction?  (Read 6561 times)

Offline BigBird

• learning and doing
Emulsifier tube direction?
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:44:30 am »
Does the orientation of the emulsifier tubes other than up/down affect anything, and if so, which way angles forward?

Working on cb550f w 069A carbs

Thanks

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Emulsifier tube direction?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:48 am »
Yes, it does matter, the OPEN end with the waist band is inserted into the carb body first, like the top of the one pictured

'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline BigBird

• learning and doing
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:08:01 pm »
Thanks for the response. As I tried to state in the question I am aware of orientation of which way is up. I am asking if the tube should be place in a specific rotation, in relation to which way is forward on the bike.

My logic suggests that, for example under acceleration, the fuel would be forced backwards, and should influence the flow into the tube. Does anyone have a thought on wether the holes of the emulsifyer be facing forward/backwards or perpendicular to that?

Offline dbbrian350F

• Enthusiast
  • dbbrian350F
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:58:04 pm »
I can't imagine that would matter nearly as much as getting all those little holes cleaned out. 

Like this

Bound and determined to restore my...
1974 CB350F1

Lucky new custodian of...
1978 XS1100E

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:32:34 pm »
Thanks for the response. As I tried to state in the question I am aware of orientation of which way is up. I am asking if the tube should be place in a specific rotation, in relation to which way is forward on the bike.

My logic suggests that, for example under acceleration, the fuel would be forced backwards, and should influence the flow into the tube. Does anyone have a thought on wether the holes of the emulsifyer be facing forward/backwards or perpendicular to that?

If I'm not mistaken those holes provide air not fuel...correct?

Cheers,
Kenzo
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:09:26 pm »
Those holes aerate the fuel and help lift it up to the throat of the carb (at the top of the emulsifier tube). When the engine is running, this tube is immersed in fuel that was pushed up from the float bowl, because the air pressure in the float bowl is still and at higher pressure than the moving air in the carb throat. These little holes "bubble" air into the fuel column, air which is supplied from the bell-shaped area at the back of the carb: this air is at about 10-40% higher pressure than the air in the throat, but 90-60% of the pressure in the float bowl (depending on throttle opening). Thus...then the fuel gets pushed up the emulsifer tube by the bowl, it gets bubbled (aerated) by the air entering these little holes, so it can arrive at the mainjet in an almost steam-like state for the engine to suck up.

The holes nearest the top of these tubes aerate the low-speed operation. As the throttle opens more, the fuel level in this tybe drops accordingly, being limited by the mainjet, and aerates it about the same amount because fewer holes are then "under water", so to speak. At full throttle, this tube is nothing but bubbles of air in fast-moving fuel.

...and now you know how these carbs work! The idle circuit is identical, just smaller.
;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 04:52:35 am »
Those holes aerate the fuel and help lift it up to the throat of the carb (at the top of the emulsifier tube). When the engine is running, this tube is immersed in fuel that was pushed up from the float bowl, because the air pressure in the float bowl is still and at higher pressure than the moving air in the carb throat. These little holes "bubble" air into the fuel column, air which is supplied from the bell-shaped area at the back of the carb: this air is at about 10-40% higher pressure than the air in the throat, but 90-60% of the pressure in the float bowl (depending on throttle opening). Thus...then the fuel gets pushed up the emulsifer tube by the bowl, it gets bubbled (aerated) by the air entering these little holes, so it can arrive at the "mainjet" in an almost steam-like state for the engine to suck up.

The holes nearest the top of these tubes aerate the low-speed operation. As the throttle opens more, the fuel level in this tybe drops accordingly, being limited by the mainjet, and aerates it about the same amount because fewer holes are then "under water", so to speak. At full throttle, this tube is nothing but bubbles of air in fast-moving fuel.

...and now you know how these carbs work! The idle circuit is identical, just smaller.
;)
Don't you mean the fuel would arrive at the throat? (it's already been sucked up the main jet!)John
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 05:21:29 am »

You're over thinking things.  In such a small enclosed space, there's no where for the fuel to be forced TO, really, and even if fuel was pulled away from the front-facing holes, it will be pulled towards the rear-facing holes, so it's all a wash.

If it made any real difference, the parts would be keyed to only fit together one way.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »
Those holes aerate the fuel and help lift it up to the throat of the carb (at the top of the emulsifier tube). When the engine is running, this tube is immersed in fuel that was pushed up from the float bowl, because the air pressure in the float bowl is still and at higher pressure than the moving air in the carb throat. These little holes "bubble" air into the fuel column, air which is supplied from the bell-shaped area at the back of the carb: this air is at about 10-40% higher pressure than the air in the throat, but 90-60% of the pressure in the float bowl (depending on throttle opening). Thus...then the fuel gets pushed up the emulsifer tube by the bowl, it gets bubbled (aerated) by the air entering these little holes, so it can arrive at the "mainjet" in an almost steam-like state for the engine to suck up.

;)
Don't you mean the fuel would arrive at the throat? (it's already been sucked up the main jet!)John

The "throat" here refers to the area under the front edge of the slide, back as far as the needle jet opening (above 1/8 throttle). The engine only sucks in the fuel that was squirted up the needle jet by the float bowl's positive pressure (relative to the lower pressure in the throat). Many people think about this 'backwards', as the engine doesn't really do anything but drink in the gas mist the carb puked up the needle jet! ;)

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:12:51 pm »
 I had a lectron once with a clear float bowl, it was on a single cylinder but it was amazing to see the fuel foam up in the bowl when the engine revved up, it had a high speed jet too with a clear line on it. We ran a foam sleeve over the fuel pickup to try to keep it from sucking air.
 It would be amazing to see how the emulsion tube works in close up slow motion.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 06:11:31 am »
Just curious; the top part of the emulsion tube which projects into the carb throat on my MT250 is flush with the carb body for half of it's diameter with only a180 degree skirt actually projecting into the carb body. This skirt broke off while I was removing the emulsion tube for cleaning.
What adverse effects can I expect from this?
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 07:03:42 am »
Just curious; the top part of the emulsion tube which projects into the carb throat on my MT250 is flush with the carb body for half of it's diameter with only a180 degree skirt actually projecting into the carb body. This skirt broke off while I was removing the emulsion tube for cleaning.
What adverse effects can I expect from this?

SWAG, less than perfect or designed fuel delivery, enough to make a difference? Maybe, maybe not...

Basically the venturi effect of the air that moves over the top of the opening causes a low pressure and draws the fuel into the carb throat. The shape, size, position, etc...all determine the pressure differential and fuel flow.

Not familiar with that bike but the carb can probably be adjusted to compensate for the issue.

Cheers,
Kenzo

H-Town, Tejas

Offline grasscutter

• Enthusiast
  • Love the CB650.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:15 am »
Don't the emulsion tubes have a centering tab?  They can only go in one way?
Come on!  We're burning daylight!

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 08:10:48 am »
Don't the emulsion tubes have a centering tab?  They can only go in one way?

Look at the pics above...it can only be inserted and seated properly in one direction. The smaller end first(inserted from the bowl side) and when seated properly just flush or a mm so into the carb throat.

The original question was about the rotational orientation of the emulsion holes on the side of the tube.

Cheers,
Kenzo
H-Town, Tejas

Offline grasscutter

• Enthusiast
  • Love the CB650.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 08:39:11 am »
Please forgive my ignorance specifically on the CB550 carbs.  I'm truly asking a question. 

That was my point with my question: If it only goes in one way (as previous commenters stated), then how do you adjust or change the 'hole orientation'? 

Don't the CB550 carbs have a 'centering tab'? 

Like this one:

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 08:47:15 am »
As said above it doesn't matter. The tiny emulsion holes only suck in air to mix with the fuel being sucked up through the main jet into the inside of the emulsion tube. In Honda 4's case there is no 'orientation' for the air holes. And that's not a 550 emulsion tube.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline grasscutter

• Enthusiast
  • Love the CB650.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 08:49:19 am »
There's no centering slot.   Got it!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:18 am »
Please forgive my ignorance specifically on the CB550 carbs.  I'm truly asking a question. 

That was my point with my question: If it only goes in one way (as previous commenters stated), then how do you adjust or change the 'hole orientation'? 

Don't the CB550 carbs have a 'centering tab'? 

Like this one:

On carbs with 'direction-sensitive' emulsion tubes, there is usually another feature on those tubes that have to orient to something else in the carb. Sometimes, in Mikunis, this may be the "power vent" hole from the power jet, which puts its extra fuel up into the needle jet. The simpler OEM carbs in the SOHC4 bikes don't have this feature.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 09:27:24 am »
I had a lectron once with a clear float bowl, it was on a single cylinder but it was amazing to see the fuel foam up in the bowl when the engine revved up, it had a high speed jet too with a clear line on it. We ran a foam sleeve over the fuel pickup to try to keep it from sucking air.
 It would be amazing to see how the emulsion tube works in close up slow motion.

Yeah, the single-cylinder, single-carb setups like these can get real turbulent! The spitback during overlap cycle is the culprit, and with wide-duration cams it gets to be a nuisance. The 2-strokers suffer it much worse than the 4-strokers, too, because the crankcase pressures those carbs are feeding are like a ferris wheel with fins(!). This usually limits the upper end of the mixing speed to around 6500-7000 RPM without adding something like reed valves or rotary valves in strokers, just to get the carbs to still work.