Author Topic: Cylinder head intake port  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Dion

Cylinder head intake port
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:11 pm »
Hi guys, anyone have an idea as to how to replace a broken intake port on a cylinder head?

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
Re: Cylinder head intake port
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:06:21 pm »
Once you get it out, you could have it laser welded then turned back to shape in a lathe.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:51:16 pm »
With some care and heat, they can be turned out. Replace or repair afterwards.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Dion

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:13 pm »
Thanks.. perhaps I did not explain myself corect. Can i just turn it out and back in? Is it a left hand or right hand thread?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:24:00 pm »
It is standard right hand thread. righty tighty, lefty loosey.

It is not really designed to be removed, hex notwithstanding. It is a very fine thread and often the thread is pulled out and destroyed upon removal. But in your case I see little alternative.  I've read some can clean up the threads and turn them back in.  I've had them epoxied back in, successfully. I had my K1 head ported in 1971 and the machinist didn't know about the delicate threads and pulled them all out. He ported it, epoxied the manifolds back in and completed the porting.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:08:05 pm »
Depending upon the condition and or level of mods to the head, it might be just as easy to source out another head.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:22:07 pm »
I would just cut a piece off another. (or turn one in a lathe) ...then grind and trim to fit...
Least invasive.. And invisible..
 IF the threads come out trying to remove it, it can be fixed but. Then you are back to welding or JB weld..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »
Send it to Big Jim French to have it welded back

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:42 pm »
All correct, Jim can fix, prolly best bet. I've had em out...at that time alum to alum fine threads....could be coaxed out....not worth it the or now, my .02. Now they been mated fir 40 years!!
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 06:05:21 pm »
Once you pull them, only way to reinstall is using epoxy

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

Instagram - LUMPY CAM MOTORCYCLES
FB - LUMPY CAM Motorcycles

Offline Dion

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:43 am »
Thanks guys,

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 06:37:40 am »
Send it to Big Jim French to have it welded back

He's in South Africa Frank,  ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 06:59:24 am »
Oh. Didn't know that
A bit too far to ship.

Offline paul_cb836

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 04:11:22 am »
I replaced a similarly broken intake.  I ended up buying a fairly damaged head from a wrecker for not much money and used an intake  from it to replace the broken one.  I heated the intakes with an oxy and they screwed out ok.  Paul

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »
Well, given the location is it heavy load bearing area? Could he skip the pulling and the like and just epoxy it back together and then machine it in place to a smooth transition with similar texture or surface as the other ports. JB Weld can hold up to fuel and can be easily machined with hand tools or power tools, I would think a long (3" =75-76mm long) sanding drum like woodworkers use with a 1/2" ID on the sanding drum for the sanding sleeves work well for the machining part if it is flat in that area. A dremel could easily do it but they are too small and it would be easy to impart a dip whereas, a longer drum could give you the stability and access... depends upon the contour.  A dowel center or bolt center with a washer that is the id of the sanding sleeve diameter with two washers to compress the rubber tubing (washer or fuel line that isn't braided, a thick walled rubber tube is needed) over a screw that is sleeved with brass or aluminum with fender washer sized to be a tight fit to the bolt but smaller than the ID of the sanding sleeve so you don't compress the sleeve causing it to fail. A latex balloon could be used to make the diameter a tiny bit bigger if your tubing is just a few .01 mm off of a slip fit to the ID of the tubing.
The rubber for the drums is a high durometer rubber that is denser than most RTV and other material...
to fabricate your own drum sander like the woodworkers use that could be used in a drill with extension shaft then you size the tubing to slide over the threads with a snug piece of brass or aluminum, or steel tubing over the threaded portion where the sanding sleeve will be. That has a washer on the bottom cut to engage the carriage bolt's square or file it to fit two spots of V with other shoulder filed away  so it is a round center with Vs cut into washer to engage the carriage bolt and not spin. The excess shoulder of the carriage bolt head is cut or filed away so the sleeve slides down to the washer. The domed head of the carriage bolt needs to be several mm smaller than the sleeve ID (inside diameter).
Carriage bolt on bottom that is dome faced with OD of the head needs to be several mm smaller than the ID of the sanding sleeve.
The tubing is a slip fit into the ID, the 2nd washer on the bolt shaft is the compression device and then a nut makes the tubing bulge slightly making the sleeve have a tight non-slip fit to the sanding sleeve.
black rubber tubing or a cast piece is used on the sanding drum, similar to the dremel drum a larger size for the woodworkers model of course.
So, your bolt need to be large enough to be rigid and not bend when side pressure is applied, most small bolts don't have that strength, as they aren't designed for heavy loads so they are generally soft steel alloys or similar. The dremel uses a hardened steel arbor for the rubber sleeve.  You could harden the steel in a bolt if you could find out the metal used, or make one from soft T6061 and then harden it to T10 or similar level of hardness if you have an oven capable of holding a 600-700 degree F temp for 30 minutes you can harden or anneal T10 T6061 aluminum. Then the quench determines the hardening if you need to harden it then you quench or in the case of some metals take the temp to a certain range for length of time.

Just a thought...

Cruder method of sanding sleeve with dowel cut with thin fine blade like on a bandsaw or thin kerf coping saw or  similar. The cut being straight down the middle. Slip the sandpaper in the slit after wrapping around the dowel and then wrap the paper so it tightens when spun and the sandpaper strip will hold against itself. It isn't as smooth as the sanding drum but is far cheaper to make and if you have a thin kerf saw like a Japanese pull saw it can cut the dowel with a very thin slot. A wide slot won't work as it has too much play. Two layers of sandpaper needs to fit fairly firmly in the slot for this style to work without problems when using. 3/8" dowel would be the smallest I would attempt to use (~10-11 mm wooden dowel rod).

David
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:44:42 pm by RAF122S »
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:35 pm »
No need to harden 6061 T 6..... Nor any reason to anneal it frlor machining.

I would not trust epoxy.. If it came off whefe is it going ?? Just not worth it and no means to anchor it..
  It should be under 100 bix to fix if you get the piece ready, and finish sand it yourself..jmo..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »
There are at least two different threads, you won't know what you have until you remove it.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 03:30:22 am »
I replaced a similarly broken intake.  I ended up buying a fairly damaged head from a wrecker for not much money and used an intake  from it to replace the broken one.  I heated the intakes with an oxy and they screwed out ok.  Paul

Hey Paul, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post, it only took 6 years, what kept ya, hahahaha
Welcome anyway mate. 

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 10:18:40 am »
I pulled a set out of a head i started to set up for manley big valves.. At least one tore out the threads.
Altho it still was for the head i still have unfinished..I decided to send it to a member on here down in the south of USA. When it got there, it was the wrong thread or length.
 I would not even consider pulling another out of a head, unless willing to weld in a replacement,which I would have to make up..
 Very little to lose by trying to fix it without removing the spigot...just my opinion and warning..

I should add though, once removed the head becomes a great candidate for raised ports and bigger machined spigots...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:43:39 am by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline paul_cb836

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 02:32:01 am »
Thanks Sam.  Having too much fun with 915 track bike.  My son is going to ride in Barry Sheene period 4. 91hp on dyno but no match for RPE 1200 with 135hp ha ha.