Author Topic: '76 CB550F (As standard as I can bear...)  (Read 3699 times)

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
'76 CB550F (As standard as I can bear...)
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:35:14 am »
Good Morning! In May(?) last year I had a moment where I decided a years experience on a little cafe'd CG125 was enough and I needed to get myself a new project. Ebay came up trumps with a 76 CB550F... "recently fitted with a new full motad system, it ran once... a couple of months back, now it doesn't run, also needs new battery". I hired a van and picked it up from Derby.

So first things first... Quick wash, drain and replace fuel, check the plugs, insert key, start pressing buttons. To our astonishment... the battery was fine, and in a couple of clicks of the start button it was firing on 2. A short time checking the wiring and I found that the previous owner had "rewired" at some point. This turned the cut off switch to a cylinder selection switch, allowing me to choose between OFF, 1&4 or 2&3. This was bypassed... its a runner!!!!

And then... in what seems like minutes... this happened...

So the plan was just a strip down, rebuild and replace until road worthiness. I had wanted to start chopping and modifying but I felt the bikes a little too complete, a little too nice and actually quite pretty so I think I'll make some adjustments and see how I feel later. The engine sounded strong so I decided just to clean that up and pop it back in until funds allow me to play with that a little. I didn't get too many pics of the strip down, it all just happened so fast!  :D

As usual I glanced in the general direction of the haynes manual and then decided to start taking stuff apart... if I had actually read anything I would likely have loosened the allen bolt in the bottom of the forks whilst it was still under pressure rather than having to sharpen the end of my best broom handle to wedge it tight inside the leg.

I have what is known as the "tight" gene, or as Dad refers to it "frugal" so with access to a large selection of hammerite and various primers from previous projects and repairs I set about making things look new. (There was a fair amount of wire brushes on drills and wet and dry involved too)

I have been a lurker on the forums for quite some time so I decided to go with the All Balls steering bearings... which are probably fine for the bike, less so for my thumb when you just happen to "miss" while knocking the old race out of the frame.

#WETTY

The engine got a very thorough clean...

Sticking with the "tight" theme I opted for a "Simoniz 5 Wheel Silver" finish on the engine, which came out surprisingly well!

It's amazing how much of the bike cleaned up and with a few coats of hammerite on the older looking bits.

The old rear shocks were fu..... rubbish and I'm a little short in the leg and the bike seemed rather high in its original stance so I managed to find 2" shorter shocks from the states and the spacer trick in the front. dropping the whole bike down to a more "manageable" level.

The PO's attempt at a rewire meant I wanted to start from scratch. This took a couple of evenings with the old as a template and a wiring diagram (just to be sure)

The old panel came out for a clean and a lick of paint and popped back together...

Brakes were stripped back, overhauled, new piston and seal required.

Had to replace the swing arm, sounded like it was on its way out, also had to source a new front wheel, (rusted through despite looking semi acceptable) Managed to get hold of a replacement which was just scruffy, so in keeping with the theme... they were hammerite'd too!

Whilst at this stage I was busy pouring vinegar into the fuel tank and getting ready to seal that... oh... and booking my test (would be nice to actually ride the bike when finished).

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
Re: '76 CB550F (As standard as I can bear...)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:17:24 am »
I'm not a fan of the original Martin Clunes indicators so I managed to find these small but super bright little pieces from Germany. I swapped over to the LED flasher unit and also LED'd a few other bulbs while I was there.

Then one day in late June... it all just came together...  ;D

It's at this point I will apologise for the seat, this does change...

Anyhow, it starts, runs with very little fiddling needed and I still didn't have my license. I took the bike for a walk down to the MOT station and it passed with a few nice comments from the garage owner. We walked home. Summer seemed quite hot that day...

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:28:58 am »
Quick and clean! I didn't see anything about a thorough cleaning of the carbs? IF you haven't, those would benefit you're reliability immensely and should eliminate any "fiddling" to get it running properly.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:36:15 am »
Thanks! Oh those bloody carbs. They did get a clean, then a clean, then a thorough clean, then setup, then another clean, then I discovered the vacuum leak at the inlet/head. The upside of this is I now know the carbs inside out and the routine for pulling them ... and popping them back in again.

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:25 am »
hey cool, the 550s are very nice, fun bikes - i'm slightly addicted to one of them myself.
LOL that cylinder switch is something i've not seen before...

download the original honda manual here http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb550/ and/or here http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/shop-manual.
it will help you a lot, next to the haynes. also download a partslist.

nice that you want to keep it close to original. i was just going to say something about the seat then saw your comment...
and i'll be honest, i'm not to keen on that rattlecan paintjob.

as you change the height of the rear end, your steering geometry changes. are you taking that into account?
and what tyres are you using?

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 04:52:44 am »
I'm 8 months in with the bike now, have covered plenty of miles and am now in more of position to make changes, the ride height change was equal both front and rear so as far as I am aware should make little difference to handling... for me... it handles great, and as a new rider to something heavier than a CG125 it helped with confidence and stability when stopped. I went for Avon Safety Mileage and the Speedmaster as a set.

I have copies of every manual and parts list I could get my hands on. As for getting things tidy on a budget, the rattle can was my only option, I expect to take it apart again at some point... its just what I do. If funds allow I might look into improving this.

The next step is the motor, I have managed to collect a 650 cam, tach drive and a pair of matching 650 clocks, 61.5 pistons, single K&N with adapter and selection of jets over the past 6 months. So this winter, that is my project.

haha... yeh the seat. I had 2 seats, so with the purchase of a cover I was able to make 1 (almost) acceptable. Photos will follow!

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:08 am »
Something I noticed in my first months of riding... how the hell do you stop it?!? The single front disc on the front, even after an overhaul, being set up properly... still didn't inspire confidence, I managed to collect all the bits needed for a twin disc set up and knocked that together one sunday morning. A world of difference!

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:56:51 am »
sounds like you're on the right track, doing updates gradually as time and budget allows ;)

the oem brakes here, even with dual discs, good hoses and well bled will never be like on a modern bike. if you want to stay fairly original it's just one of the things to get used to: anticipate more, start braking earlier.

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:28:11 am »
Thanks! Definitely the case regarding budget. Its a regularly used bike during the summer, every day to work and odd trips out. So for me to make something uber shiny and then commute the crap out of it really doesn't make sense.

I'm super happy with the dual discs, I never expected to be able to get the back wheel off the ground with my little finger but it allows me to stop should I need to! Plus its original looking kit and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb!

loving the blue of your 550 flatlander!!

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:44 am »
cheers man!
we've got the same model and year 550s, in the 2 colours they were produced in. both are cool. mine came originally blue from the factory so that's how i keep it. saves me a tough decision.

i use mine regularly, too. although, no commuting in the city so don't feel i need to make it look particularly ratty ;)

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 07:06:24 am »
At the moment mine is wearing a 77 F2 maroon colour scheme (a huge autojumble of old british bikes and I managed to find a chap and his wife with a small table with a few C90 bits and a complete set of fairly freshly painted side panels and a 550 tank). I managed to lose an orange side panel... somewhere out on the roads but have a replacement, they'll be getting prepped and painted once the engine side of things is up together. I didn't like the orange at first but it's grown on me.

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 07:31:36 am »
Nice job on the bike.  I love those 550F pipes...to me they're one of the better looking set ups on all these old SOHC bikes.
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 07:47:41 am »
then you will have noticed that his are not the original ones ;)

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 08:11:02 am »
then you will have noticed that his are not the original ones ;)

I did notice.  I'm assuming those are Mac's on his bike. 

Edited:
I see the confusion....when I put "those" in my other post it makes it seem I was saying those are the original ones where all of the pipes kind of curve towards the right side of the bike before turning down and going under.
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline ficknoster

• Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:03 am »
Thanks! The pipe is a David Silver spares issue Motad system... as far as I am aware... its all motad.