Author Topic: New speedo and tach wiring  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
New speedo and tach wiring
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »
I'm going from a 9 pin (8 used), connector for the OEM speedo and tach, to only a red and a black wire with bullet connectors for the new aftermarket gauges.  I'm lost when it comes to wiring, I'm not sure how to properly connect the new gauges.  The OEM gauges have 2 wires (brown/white and green), the remaining wires are for lights.

Based on the typical wire colors, is it as simple as green to black for ground, and brown/white to red for back lighting?  The other wires go unused?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:04:43 pm by Hutch »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: New speedo and tach wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:16:05 pm »
It would help to know what new gauge you are using?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:30:51 pm »
Since that gauge does not incorporate any instrumentation lights, the you can connect black to green as you wrote, and use red to brown/white for back lights.

The other wires in the stock connector are for the turn indicators, neutral and oil pressure. What are you planning to do for those now obsolete lights?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:52:38 pm »
I also have the mini deco turn signals from Cognito. https://cognitomoto.com/collections/lighting/products/mini-deco-lights-black-turn-signal.

I was going to re-purpose the female connector by splicing all the black wires together into a single wire into the connector for ground, and splice the 2 red gauge wires together with a single wire to brown/white in the connector.  The red turn signal wires will go to orange (left) and light blue(right), also using the correct spots in the existing female connector.

Neutral and oil pressure will be left empty (i.e. no spade connector) on the female side, leaving the male wire harness side as is.

This is my first build (can you tell), I'm lost when it comes to wiring even after studying the wiring diagram.  If there is a better way than how I described, please advise as I'm clearly flying by the seat of my pants.  Thanks much.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:58:40 pm by Hutch »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 04:07:40 pm »
Nope, you’re doing fine. But now you need to resolve a lighting solution for the NEU and OIl lights. Foolhardy to operate a bike without those.

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 04:10:40 pm »
So upon further investigation, the OEM turn signals connect via bullet connectors in the headlight bucket - orange and orange/white, and lt blue lt blue/white.  The white striped wires are the running lights.  The new signals are grounded out through the body of the signal not a wired ground.

So my question is, given the aftermarket turn signals have 2 wires, red and black, do the red wires go to orange and lt blue, while the black wires to the white striped running light wires? 

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
Nope, you’re doing fine. But now you need to resolve a lighting solution for the NEU and OIl lights. Foolhardy to operate a bike without those.

After your earlier response, I was thinking the same thing.  Found these LED indicator lights I'll add for neutral and oil pressure https://www.dimecitycycles.com/green-mini-led-indicator-light-with-chrome-threaded-body.html.

Offline Dracon

• Wannabe Old Timer...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:44:25 am »
I used a couple led’s from superbrightled’s and it worked great. Pics attached.

Note: they were actually so bright I added a resistor to the green neutral light, I left the red oil light bright so I’d be sure to notice it, but when the ignition is on before the bike starts it is super bright!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:48:08 am by Dracon »

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 03:16:23 pm »
I'm working through the indicator light wiring, the new indicator lights (2 wire) are wired red/+ and black/- ground. I'd like to add these to the 9 pin OEM connector in the same locations as the OEM wires for oil pressure and neutral light. The OEM wires are as follows:

light green/red - neutral lamp circuit originating from switch
blue/red - oil pressure lamp circuit originating from switch
black/brown - neutral lamp & oil pressure lamp from fuse (hot)

How should I wire the new indicator lights? Seems the black/brown wire should go to each of the red wires on the indicator lights, and the circuit wires (light green/red & blue/red) to black ground on the new lights?

Offline Dracon

• Wannabe Old Timer...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:33:45 pm »
I'm working through the indicator light wiring, the new indicator lights (2 wire) are wired red/+ and black/- ground. I'd like to add these to the 9 pin OEM connector in the same locations as the OEM wires for oil pressure and neutral light. The OEM wires are as follows:

How should I wire the new indicator lights? Seems the black/brown wire should go to each of the red wires on the indicator lights, and the circuit wires (light green/red & blue/red) to black ground on the new lights?
correct, the signal coming from the oil and neutral sensors are the ground.

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 03:43:03 pm »

correct, the signal coming from the oil and neutral sensors are the ground.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Hutch

• Enthusiast
  • 1982 CB650SC
Re: New speedo and tach wiring and other updates
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:35:14 pm »
Attached is an image of the new gauge cluster.  I also moved the ignition switch held in place with a set screw, filled in the fork air assist holes since the air assist was useless IMO.

I built a new battery holder and mounts, since the the bike is nowhere near stock configuration anymore.  The spark units, starter solenoid and turn signal relay have all been relocated and mounted to the frame under the seat pan.  The rectifier is mounted to the seat pan.

I also replaced the stock air box with and adapter to a large pod filter keeping the plenum in place so the CV carbs operate correctly.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:55:57 pm by Hutch »