Author Topic: Did anyone see the new cyclex wheels? 21, 19, and 18??  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: Did anyone see the new cyclex wheels? 21, 19, and 18??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:11:38 pm »
They've had them for a couple of years.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »
How much are they ..?
 I cant believe people pay money to add the rear disc to stock hub.. The heaviest wheel you could find . I can figure how the disc holder keeps from turning..maybe bolts on other side ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:10:05 pm »
What would be great is if someone could machine up some nice alloy wheels for the 750s. Tons out there for Harleys in every shape imaginable.

Dumb question for machinists: Is it possible to build a wheel around the stock hubs or will that just not hold up?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:50:22 pm »
I want to try Barnes type flattrack wheels, will try to post hub pic.
 Not sure what type of wheel build you mean , people used to use front hubd with spacers on the rear.. Look similar to the dirt track style.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:54:20 pm by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:25:32 am »
Dumb question for machinists: Is it possible to build a wheel around the stock hubs or will that just not hold up?
You could, but the question is: "Why would you?" To make modern alloy wheels its best to CNC machine them. Cutting a complete wheel from billet with the hub as part of it as far easer and stronger than welding spokes and a rim to a vintage hub. Alignment, position, and strength are not easily achieved when marrying modern 6061 to our cast alloy hubs. The material expense is negligible for the "hub" and the machine time to cut it is probably less than weld time to mate it.

But I agree, some modern "Astralites" could be very cool machined from modern alloys with new, modern disc brake hubs spaced for modern rotors.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:36:19 am »
Easiest way is to adapt existing modern wheel from some other bike.

What would be great is if someone could machine up some nice alloy wheels for the 750s. Tons out there for Harleys in every shape imaginable.

Offline jeffg

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:57:35 am »
that would be nice to have, modern brakes & alloy cnc hubs,  on spoke wheels for a cb750.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:08:41 am »
that would be nice to have, modern brakes & alloy cnc hubs,  on spoke wheels for a cb750.
CognitoMoto offers these...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:14:13 am »
Here is another shot of the barnes type hub, still pretty light, even today.

The Cycle X seem to be somewhat like the Rickman hubs..
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:17:24 am by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline jeffg

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:33 am »

they look like they have some nice stuff, but not so much for CB750 69-78. Didn't see any hubs. Some triple tree clamps & bearings.  4-2-1 exhaust, but no hubs, or good triple tree's. 

I had this once on my cr250 I like it the best RG3 clamps.

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 11:46:22 am »

All the sizes? Why did they say it's a new product in my cyclex email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:13:59 pm »

they look like they have some nice stuff, but not so much for CB750 69-78. Didn't see any hubs. Some triple tree clamps & bearings.  4-2-1 exhaust, but no hubs, or good triple tree's. 

Everything you've said they didn't have, they have...? There's plenty of members here on the site that have their parts, Devin is a member here and asked a lot of questions as to what we needed, adjustable offset triple clamps for example...

All the sizes? Why did they say it's a new product in my cyclex email?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know....They say most of their stuff is "new", they've had them for ages.... Virtually everything in the "new products" section is old...  What do you think is new..?  I don't get news letters, I just check their site regularly...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 02:23:05 pm »
I'm lazy and I like bolt-ons. Lacing and Truing wheels, been there, done that (with psychotic OCness one might say  :P), don't ever wanna do it again. The reasoning behind the dumb q was based on the assumption that doing the hubs from scratch would be a pain. In my head I was figuring get the wheel machined with two concentric circles (hub and rim) with spokes in between, the get the stock hubs modified, inserted and welded to the inner circle. But, that's just in my head and I know nothing about precision machining.

Now if someone can CAD up the hubs (MessnerMoto!!), then we can look into one of the many shops that churn out custom wheels daily and see if can get some good ones made in order to forget the wild goose chase that is the 19/18 Lester combo ;D

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I'll move the discussion if needed.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 04:00:10 pm »
they look like they have some nice stuff, but not so much for CB750 69-78. Didn't see any hubs.
http://cognitomoto.com/pages/around-the-shop

Not sure where you were you looking, but his Instagram account has nearly daily updates with product development.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:34 pm »
I'm lazy and I like bolt-ons. Lacing and Truing wheels, been there, done that (with psychotic OCness one might say  :P), don't ever wanna do it again. The reasoning behind the dumb q was based on the assumption that doing the hubs from scratch would be a pain. In my head I was figuring get the wheel machined with two concentric circles (hub and rim) with spokes in between, the get the stock hubs modified, inserted and welded to the inner circle. But, that's just in my head and I know nothing about precision machining.

Now if someone can CAD up the hubs (MessnerMoto!!), then we can look into one of the many shops that churn out custom wheels daily and see if can get some good ones made in order to forget the wild goose chase that is the 19/18 Lester combo ;D
You don't want the hub and spokes and rim as separate pieces, Ed. They want to milled from a billet as modern wheels are. The difficulty of a hub like CognitoMoto (or Messner which is a variant) is the calculation of spoke angles for inner/outer, plus offsets, and the machining of the interior to lighten the hub. All that is done away with a modern 3, 4, or 5 spoked mag wheel, like a Lester or Astralite. Look at a modern wheel on a CBR, its a single piece cast, forged or milled depending upon model and price.

I'm sure you could contract a shop to make you wheels based upon handing them a stock hub (for critical dimensions) and then give them some idea of the spoke/mag style you wish. Probably run about $600-$1200 per wheel in billet.

Offline jeffg

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:30 pm »
they look like they have some nice stuff, but not so much for CB750 69-78. Didn't see any hubs.
http://cognitomoto.com/pages/around-the-shop

Not sure where you were you looking, but his Instagram account has nearly daily updates with product development.
sure they have allot of stuff just not for cb750 69-78
if their is more their site has fault
look at the link I pasted. I filter all product/cb750
here is the results
http://cognitomoto.com/collections/all-products/cb750

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 04:21:41 pm »
Most of the parts are to adapt modern front ends and rears to 750s and 550s. Only recently has he branched out to Triumphs, Ducatis (Scrambler) and XS650s. The CM hub is widely used by folks mating a GSXR front end to a CB. And he finally is producing a modern rear hub with disc fitment for CBs.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 04:27:03 pm »
Most of the parts are to adapt modern front ends and rears to 750s and 550s. Only recently has he branched out to Triumphs, Ducatis (Scrambler) and XS650s. The CM hub is widely used by folks mating a GSXR front end to a CB. And he finally is producing a modern rear hub with disc fitment for CBs.

Yep, plenty of 750 and 500/550 stuff, Jeff's link doesn't even show the hubs..?

http://cognitomoto.com/collections/hubs-wheelgoods

Like I said above Devin {Cognito moto owner} is a member here and developed these parts for our bikes... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:46 pm »
........I'm sure you could contract a shop to make you wheels based upon handing them a stock hub (for critical dimensions) and then give them some idea of the spoke/mag style you wish. Probably run about $600-$1200 per wheel in billet.
Thanks, if one of mine sells and I pick up a third, this will be the first thing I'll do. Have a set of crummy hubs off of the K3 that will find some use.