Author Topic: CBR 1000 front end swap  (Read 4036 times)

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
Re: CBR 1000 front end swap
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:59 pm »
Alright sounds good, since the stock rear is 2.5 could I just put that up front and buy a 3.5 for the rear? This shouldn't effect the rear drum brake right?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:11:47 pm »
Alright sounds good, since the stock rear is 2.5 could I just put that up front and buy a 3.5 for the rear? This shouldn't effect the rear drum brake right?

No effect on the rear drum, I have a 3.5 laced to a stock hub in my garage....... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline turboed13b

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:56 pm »

Spoke angle is wrong to put a the rear rim on a smaller hub. You will have bending spokes and nipples I just went through this on my 550.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:04 pm »

Spoke angle is wrong to put a the rear rim on a smaller hub. You will have bending spokes and nipples I just went through this on my 550.

Turbo, you should listen bud, it is easy to do, you just have to change the spoke pattern, you've been told this on your thread and here...?

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline turboed13b

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:41 pm »

Turbo, you should listen bud, it is easy to do, you just have to change the spoke pattern, you've been told this on your thread and here...?

It has nothing to do with spoke pattern the angle on the rear rim is drilled for a larger brake hub. When putting the rear rim on a smaller hub the spoke angle causes the spokes to bend at the nipple and arc.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:27 pm »

It has nothing to do with spoke pattern the angle on the rear rim is drilled for a larger brake hub. When putting the rear rim on a smaller hub the spoke angle causes the spokes to bend at the nipple and arc.

Go back to your thread and re read what Cal said, you don't change the pattern, its to do with where you put the spokes in the hub, you change some from outside to inside or something like that....

From YOUR thread...

A stock 40 hole 18" rim of up to 3.50" will fit inside a gsxr front end (modern USD I'm assuming). The trick to lacing it is you must use an inside-inside pattern to keep the spoke angle shallow enough to avoid the calipers.

If you call Buchanans, they actually have spokes for this very lacing pattern having partnered with CognitoMoto to measure and make spokes for his hub.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline turboed13b

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »

Go back to your thread and re read what Cal said, you don't change the pattern, its to do with where you put the spokes in the hub, you change some from outside to inside or something like that....

From YOUR thread...

A stock 40 hole 18" rim of up to 3.50" will fit inside a gsxr front end (modern USD I'm assuming). The trick to lacing it is you must use an inside-inside pattern to keep the spoke angle shallow enough to avoid the calipers.

If you call Buchanans, they actually have spokes for this very lacing pattern having partnered with CognitoMoto to measure and make spokes for his hub.

That has nothing to do with what I am talking about my hub is already laced with inner spokes since it is a Harley hub.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 07:44:30 pm »

From YOUR thread...

That has nothing to do with what I am talking about my hub is already laced with inner spokes since it is a Harley hub.

Ok , I wasn't thinking Honda rear rim, I was just thinking an 18 for the front, I see that the drilled angle on the honda rear rim would be shallower than the holes drilled on a smaller front hub causing the binding.... Sorry about the confusion. Chops you'll have to source a rim to suit the front hub mate, which shouldn't be a problem, sorry for all the confusion... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 07:12:33 am »
alright sounds good, so no rear rim will fit at all right?

Also is there a reason why I have to change the rear wheel to 3.25? what's the downside of using the full stock set up? would getting a wider tire offset this?

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 12:00:58 pm »
So I talk to the seller, going to try to get the front end tonight, I'm pretty sure it's still attached to the bike. Are there any special tools I would need to remove the front end from the frame?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 12:28:33 pm »
A spanner wrench, probably some sockets. To separate it from the wheel is a different story though. Take the tubes, trees and calipers if you can  ;) A rubber mallet is also useful to whack the stem to unseat it from the lower bearings occasionally.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 12:49:30 pm »
Could I use a screwdriver/mallet to loosen the spanner bolt? Nothing near me carries a spanner wrench =/

I was planning to remove calipers/fender, then remove axle, remove wheel, then put the calipers/fender back on the forks. Remove the top triple tree and then slide the stem out under (after loosening the spanner bolt), and take the whole front end / fork as one piece?

kind of like this

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/252072762336_1.jpg

or is this not even possible?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 12:51:59 pm »
You can use a mallet a screwdriver, a drift or cold chisel is better though. Something a bit more blunt.

Remove the fender, remove the axle, drop the wheel. The calipers should be able to remain in place attached to the forks unless they are pinning the fender (or keep the fender too)  :)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »
Great, yeah he's including the fender. not sure if that can be re purposed if I don't use the stock wheel, would I need to make a fork brace in that scenario?

Also just called up Honda, apparently the CBRs don't have a spanner lock nut so should be good

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 01:34:51 pm »
shouldn't need a brace, but a damper would do nicely.