Author Topic: heavy duty drag racing clutch systems  (Read 5248 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: heavy duty drag racing clutch systems
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 09:36:06 pm »
Thanks,

That answer will be VERY useful information....

Do you know the detailed spec on that Pena motor?

I'm guessing

73mm RC 12.5:1 pistons
RC cast block
RC Ported head
327 cam?
Golden rods?
RC lightened crank
No alternator/starter

George

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 09:59:33 pm »
Well, RC block, saw the invoice, he charged Gary..... $80.00! Friends! K. Cam, Gary was sponsored by Web Cam, so it was a custom grind I think, I'll find out. Head was by Byron, they were at V&H by then, mid 80's. Head has Kawasaki
or Suzuki valves, guide angle was changed also. 3 spd auto trans,  Dragracer can explain.Invoices were full of custom work by " Byron Hines" !I got the left side 4-1 exhaust Gary made for it coming also. I also have the special carbs Byron set up. No hurry to f this one up!!!  Remember,  Byron built it. ..Carrillo's,  but let's make sure! You sure can't hide this STROKER plate!! Hehe. K. More tomorrow,  Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 05:30:02 am »
GEORGE: To make your laydown stick [ period time ] I got a brand new 18" GOODYEAR SLICK that has been mounted but never touched the ground, I will give you this tire for FREE for your period time drag bike.  Bought the last year GOODYEAR stopped making drag bike slicks for bikes. Always mounted, aired up, sitting on stands on a lift in my shop. I'll check the front slick for size, which could be a skinny GOODYEAR.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 10:13:59 am »
Late head on that motor , any idea what year it was built? Do you need longer cam chain with the stroker plate ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:24 am »
. 3 spd auto trans,  Dragracer can explain.

The 1-2-3 auto allows full throttle shifts without any kill time between gears to unload the transmission. The dogs are cut in such a way that they ramp out to the next gear change. There are probably a several springs inside. At least one will be on the shift shaft against the cases to pushing against the 1st gear shift fork. The shift drum was probably modified as well to allow neutral to be on the bottom and not between gears to avoid false neutrals and quicker shifting. The drum was likely further modified for the auto gears. The other gears, 3-4-5 are not ramped but undercut so you would have to kill the ignition in order for the upshift to take place. Each auto transmission by brand is set up differently. Suzuki transmissions are different than Kaw mods and I'm not certain how Bill's Honda 1-2-3 auto is set up. This transmission likely took 1-2 tenths off the ET. While this sounds great for a full tilt dragbike, they are not practical for a street bike. Because the transmission is setup to ramp from one auto gear to the next, if you roll out of the throttle without bumping up to the next gear, the forks have a tendency to bend since the gears are already pushing out of the dogs under pressure from the springs. You cannot ride this type bike to the line  unless its put in 3rd gear. You cannot ride this bike from the end of the track to the pits, unless you put it in 3rd gear. Auto transmissions are illegal in street ET just like slider clutches.

In a nutshell, this transmission is great for a wheelie bar bike to lower ET. However, it does require regular maintenance such as freshening up the dogs/ramps, replacement of the springs, replacement of shift forks, checking for cracks on the gears and shafts. This transmission is useless in a street bike and should be replaced with a regular undercut transmission.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 06:53:41 am »
Think about this :  Going to hit the wall on a 1-2-3 auto you must be thinking = hit the wall under full power or roll out of the throttle [ blowing the 1-2-3 auto ] will be costing me money any way I GO. Watched a guy on my friends GS1150 TURBO bike that he just TRADED for his first pass 8.10 pass, Jimmy the seller told him don't lift or you will break parts in auto tranny, sure enough when that bad boy came up to full boost on that pass he lifted = bang. He traded my friend for his nearly new BUSA that JIMMY sold three days later, you can sell a street bike faster than  DRAG BIKE - amen

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 01:03:58 pm »
Think about this :  Going to hit the wall on a 1-2-3 auto you must be thinking = hit the wall under full power or roll out of the throttle [ blowing the 1-2-3 auto ] will be costing me money any way I GO. Watched a guy on my friends GS1150 TURBO bike that he just TRADED for his first pass 8.10 pass, Jimmy the seller told him don't lift or you will break parts in auto tranny, sure enough when that bad boy came up to full boost on that pass he lifted = bang. He traded my friend for his nearly new BUSA that JIMMY sold three days later, you can sell a street bike faster than  DRAG BIKE - amen

Pops, screw the transmission, I'm saving my skin. Had to replace some forks before  but my bones were still intact.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 06:34:14 am »
FRANK 10'S : Honda motors don't have the trap door on side cover ??????  like the KZ motors to slide out the holder and forks can come out the bottom to change without breaking down the motor w/bike on the wheel stands at the track ????

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:49 am »
FRANK 10'S : Honda motors don't have the trap door on side cover ??????  like the KZ motors to slide out the holder and forks can come out the bottom to change without breaking down the motor w/bike on the wheel stands at the track ????

That's exactly right Richard. A major drawback to the SOHC motors. Cases have to be split to do just about anything to the bottom end.