Author Topic: 79 CB650 Carburetor work  (Read 626 times)

Offline CBR954AD

• Enthusiast
79 CB650 Carburetor work
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:57:32 pm »
Hello, so I am working on 79 Cb650. I rebuild the engine with new rings, and master gasket kit. also running new coils and wires, and plugs. Using Air Pods, and have 12 inch shorty exhaust from Dime City.
 I have a set of CV carbs from 91 CBR600RR, they are same size 36mm. I need advice on how to install them to the head. The intake ports are off by 2 mm, on cylinders 1 and 2. ports 3 and 4 line up perfect. just for testing I used .25mm thick flexi rubber hose. i hook them em, and bike fired right up choke work perfect, let it warm up, and idles at 1050 rpm. I can freely rev up motor.
The Reason why i want to run these is because I am having a huge problem with my stock carbs. I bought a rebuild kit so all new parts even float bowl and needle. pilot screw set at 1 5/8 turns out . once install on the bike, it was very hard to get bike to idle with out choke, and when I rev up, RPM increase, but when release throttle rpm stay up will not drop. I have to kill bike, or use idle stop screw to bring RPM back down. after little investigation, came to conclusion carbs are running way to lean for pods and straight exhaust. I shimmed needles, got 95 Mains, and discovered that pilots were clogged. after ultrasonic bath, carbs idle great with out choke. performed Lean idle drop, and carb sync, but when i gas up, throttle will not drop down? ( no the throttle cable is not holding it open). both throttle cables are set, and throttle valves return to normal position when release of throttle, but bike holds High Revs. 
1:Open to solution to fixing my cabs
2: ideas how to mount the CBR carbs with something
thank you

Offline CBR954AD

• Enthusiast
Re: 79 CB650 Carburetor work
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:13 am »
Anyone???

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:08:32 pm »
Soos posted some info on mounting up some other carbs.  Needed the intake boots from those other carbs.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=40287.0 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline harisuluv

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »
Your "Hanging idle" is usually a symptom of running lean.  There can be many causes of it, from jetting, syncing, vacuum leaks, mixture screw, etc., etc. 

With some pictures of your carbs on a bench I could tell you a lot about them, and the more information you could provide I could give you more info in return.  Aside from throwing out random "could be.." scenarios though I can't do much.

If you want real help you'll get where you want a lot faster with pictures.

Offline CBR954AD

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:01:05 am »
thank for reply, what pictures would like to see,. and what else would like to know. I have fully rebuild carbs, running 95 Mains, 135 pilots stock, shimmed needle, carb sync. mixtures screws are set by spec 1 5/8 out. also did lean idle drop. idles at 1100 rpm.