Author Topic: Carbs won't return back to resting position?  (Read 584 times)

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
Carbs won't return back to resting position?
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:52:08 pm »
Couple weeks ago I pulled the carbs to rebench sync them while I wait for other parts. While bench syncing each carb I was opening the throttle a few times and they would always return back to resting (close position) as seen below.

Finally got all carbs sync, left them on the table until today. Was going to go put them back on the bike, and decided to recheck the bench gap before I went through all the trouble. Carb 1 seen a bit lower than the others, I pull back the dust covers. Open the throttle a few times, only this time the throttle doesn't return back to resting position and is left open (see pic). Figured it may have been the dust covers getting in the way, ended up tearing 3 of them so I just took them off, but still the carbs don't return back to resting. A couple weeks ago the carbs were moving in full motion and returning just fine. Any ideas what could cause them to stick without taking them all apart again?

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Carbs won't return back to resting position?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:00:04 pm »
Did you put the return spring back on? Can't tell from the pics.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline ChopSticks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:17:44 pm »
Yeah it's back on... I got it to kind of return a little back a completely random guess. I took the carb 2 top cap off and opened/closed the throttle. Fixed it a little bit, but not sure if that was the original cause since I haven't touched the caps since I last cleaned them

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:25 pm »
Are your slides varnished?
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:19:18 pm »
I think I was assuming you cleaned the carbs. If so, loosen all the carb caps and see if there is maybe some bidding taking place.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline harisuluv

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
I could be lots of things, really all we have is two pictures of essentially the same angle.

You're also saying that what caused this happened when the carbs were just sitting there, which seems unlikely. 

You start off saying that you were just bench syncing the carbs, then make a later reference asking what to do without "taking them apart again."

Did you have them apart and after they were apart did this start to happen?  If not, why did you take them apart just to do a bench sync?

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:59 am »
One thing to check is the rubber grommets that go through the carb tops, make sure one has not gone bad and is binding the rod that goes through it. A little lightweight oil on those is a good idea also as well as the slides. Make sure one of those are not binding also. How many threads do you have left on top of the adjuster nut after your bench synch ?