Author Topic: First passes of the season - 1/8th mile  (Read 1941 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
First passes of the season - 1/8th mile
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:05:45 pm »
Decided to take the old F model out to make a few passes today since it was 68 degrees here in SC. Went to an 1/8th mile track about an hour from the house. Met a few friends there with dragbikes so we could all help one another with shakedown passes.

I attached the 2 tickets from the runs i made. Hopefully you can read them. Looks like the worn out motor is still holding up and started where it left off last season. I'll run it at the first Cup race and tear it down. Too much other sutff going on right now and time is running out before the April  race in Valdosta.

Bill, where are ya??? I'm sure that nice, fresh Cobra motor you're building can easily put up some better numbers. C'mon man!!!!

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: First passes of the season - 1/8th mile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:54:23 pm »
The weather conditions were good today. Glad i went out.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:24:15 pm »
Frank, nice number's!  6.4's @ 104xx, pretty cool dude! I'm playing with parts!  ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:34:33 am »
FRANK in the 10's : My eyes are to old to read that fine print on them tickets = what's the numbers ???? But not to OLD to get a .05 or better on the tree, will bring the practice tree to Valdosta. Is that OLD WORN OUT MOTOR STILL RUNNING 10'S ?????

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:32 am »
This should be easier.  Good going Frankie...  ;)

George
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:10:41 am by gschuld »

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:10:18 am »
Damn, you like older Joey Gladstone,  Damn man, take it easy on us will ya, hell,  you ready already!! ;D, Bill 1.4'$
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:25:44 am »
Damn, you like older Joey Gladstone,  Damn man, take it easy on us will ya, hell,  you ready already!! ;D, Bill 1.4'$

Hahaha. Joey has a lot of hair right now but like his dad, he will eventually loose it like me.

I'm just trying to get some seat time before the first race. There's an event this weekend I want to participate in to get acclimated to competition again. Winter time can cause rust on us old fellas.

One thing I know needs to get done is to put a launch light on the bike so I can be more consistent in the 60'. After I put those bigger jets in at the end of the year, the motor responds quicker so I'm having to readjust my ears and wrist when getting the rpm's in the right place. I'll wire up a shift minder, activated only when the clutch is pulled in and install some type of light that will come on when I reach my preset rpm. I'm after repeatability on the launch so the bike is easier to dial in. And I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a weather station also. At least all of us can benefit from the weather station data and make proper adjustments between rounds when conditions change.

We need to put an SOHC in the winners circle this year no matter who the rider might be- team work, solidarity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:44:18 pm »
Wow,thouse are some killer numbers on an old worn out motor...not too worn out it appears and some good building skills!
Was watching Phoenix NHRA drags last night and the bikes will be in Gainesville late next month at the Gator event...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:48:45 pm »
Bet this : Will those PRO-STOCK bikes at Gainesville be running 227mph in 1320' with no bars !!!!! The real PRO-STOCKS are those no bar bikes the STONE and JT ride at MAN CUP..... Go to ZMAX drag way and have a 4 across race with two NHRA pro-stockers [ bars ] and two MAN CUP no bars bikes. But Harley did build a show room bike with wheelie bars on the V-ROD motor [ not with the V&H V-ROD MOTOR ] for sale on a MONDAY. Let the SUZUKI CO. build a race only not for sale to the public motor and Steve Johnson will be in the mix.
Frank in the 10's : You be the man on that SOHC worn out motor, Honda GT HAWK  w/you could be a V-TWIN HARLEY killer, soon in 2016.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 10:23:21 pm »
Bet this : Will those PRO-STOCK bikes at Gainesville be running 227mph in 1320' with no bars !!!!! The real PRO-STOCKS are those no bar bikes the STONE and JT ride at MAN CUP..... Go to ZMAX drag way and have a 4 across race with two NHRA pro-stockers [ bars ] and two MAN CUP no bars bikes. But Harley did build a show room bike with wheelie bars on the V-ROD motor [ not with the V&H V-ROD MOTOR ] for sale on a MONDAY. Let the SUZUKI CO. build a race only not for sale to the public motor and Steve Johnson will be in the mix.
Frank in the 10's : You be the man on that SOHC worn out motor, Honda GT HAWK  w/you could be a V-TWIN HARLEY killer, soon in 2016.

Pops,
If you can  strap the front end, lower the rear and get your local upholstery shop to cut down that seat ,then  we'll be ready.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 05:16:23 am »
Single shock all the way down ( nice squat ] w/ New Shinko 003 soft drag tire 1" lower, front forks coming out off the tree [ don't trust straps ], electric foot shifter mounted, shift light 8.000 rpms, so low the kick stand has to be cut and welded = will be put back on so you don't have to sit on bike the whole day .....  The seat on the GT HAWK is already cut down from Japan I think they were built for racing. Stock muffler or altered flow ??? been looking at the folks on web with GT647's lots easy sounds to fix and dyno facts. That arm on air shifter has more travel time then your left foot under the elec shifter [ that can be adjusted with a 10mm wrench in seconds ] Dale Walker would be proud. Going to make one for TREY so he can make a full pass no PROBLEMS = Got to find a shift SOHC 750 to make a fixture for the kill lever.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:14:47 am »
Single shock all the way down ( nice squat ] w/ New Shinko 003 soft drag tire 1" lower, front forks coming out off the tree [ don't trust straps ], electric foot shifter mounted, shift light 8.000 rpms, so low the kick stand has to be cut and welded = will be put back on so you don't have to sit on bike the whole day .....  The seat on the GT HAWK is already cut down from Japan I think they were built for racing. Stock muffler or altered flow ??? been looking at the folks on web with GT647's lots easy sounds to fix and dyno facts. That arm on air shifter has more travel time then your left foot under the elec shifter [ that can be adjusted with a 10mm wrench in seconds ] Dale Walker would be proud. Going to make one for TREY so he can make a full pass no PROBLEMS = Got to find a shift SOHC 750 to make a fixture for the kill lever.

Pops,

Concerning the  strap. my focus was more on front end travel versus lowering the bike. Nothing worse than trying to launch a bike and the front end extends out and yanks up the front wheel.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 03:47:13 am »
Can make strap and mount today, have commercial [SINGER but want a CONSO ] sewing machine for years and make all my custom tie downs.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 08:31:57 am »
Can make strap and mount today, have commercial [SINGER but want a CONSO ] sewing machine for years and make all my custom tie downs.

Thanks Pops,

No matter who rides the bike, reducing fork extension will help for consistency and ease of launch. Quicker to strap it than to internally stiffen and lower the forks. Plus its easily reversible when you and your lady ride it on the street.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 07:32:46 am »
This Hawk GT647 will never see but 1320' or 660' at a track = got those nice big seat 750a's for her to lay back and look OUT for deer's, she likes the CM450A for that short run to the country sunset rides thru GODS country.  I had a MOTO GUZZI 1000cc Le MANS road racer that had a bigger seat then this HAWK , all rear pegs and rear fender gone and in fact the HAWK is a SOHC for each of it's V-TWIN motor. Should do good in  FF/A class or A/S class in SEL.

POPS ST/ET 647 NHRA