Author Topic: What do you have to do to warm up to Wings?  (Read 5730 times)

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
What do you have to do to warm up to Wings?
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:15:06 pm »
  So last year I picked up an 1100, it's a this spring project. I think that I should like them, and really want to like them but the more I look at it ,the more on the fence I am about them. Never rode one, they seem to have allot of extra stuff on them.... not like a sports car,more like a limo . Just don't know what to think about them, they kinda seem like a fancy truck in some ways.
  I started a Pinterest board a while back trying to find some inspiration, still not  inspired yet.
 The one thing I always hear is dependable. That's always a good thing.Then I start looking at the engine . Water cooled, thermostats, radiators and hoses...never owned a bike that wasn't air cooled. Could get used to that , maybe.
  Belts to change, only around each 30kmiles . one or two times of that wouldn't be that bad really.
Mine has a windjammer and boxes. Usually it's the first thing off any bike that shows up here. I want to believe it's attractive on a big machine...but it just reminds me of a big woman in an ugly dress. Have to stop these hands from grabbing the wrenches and removing this stuff every time I see it.
  Then there's this fake gas tank...a glove box.. or whatever. Trying to get past this thing that looks like it should hold fuel ,but doesn't. I mean , shouldn't something that size have a better use than someplace to hide the air filter? A refrigerator maybe , a urinal, I just don't know but seems like a waste somehow.
  Then there's all these individual carbs, why ? Isn't this a great engine for a four barrel high-rise set up or similar? Or a 2 barrel on each side?
Is this one of those things in life that you have to ride to fall in love with? Don't look at it in the daytime and use lower wattage light bulbs in the evenings? Having a hard time finding anything sexy about it. Yeah , I've had ugly girlfriends before. There 's ways around some of these things. Could put a bag over the windjammer and ride her cross country. At this point , not sure if I want to see it naked.
  Hoping to warm up to it, wondering if  anyone here has and loves the Wing and why. I don't want to come off as superficial or shallow, just need to know if it's worth the heartache, will she be worth taking a chance on?

A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
Re: What do you have to do to warm up to Wings?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:51:41 am »
I guess the GL has to be appreciated for what it is, a very well designed bike for the time. The engine was designed to run smoothly, get good fuel economy, have a wide power band. The brakes were designed to stop the bike - triple disc - not very common in the early seventies. Handling would be comparable or better than most bikes being made at the time - the engine and fuel tank were low in the frame causing the center of gravity to be closer to the ground which helped to make it feel lighter than it was.
  You seem to question the timing belts -  very uncommon in the seventies, but very common in the auto industry. Also the fact that it has four individual carbs.........if you own any CBs, I would think that you are familiar with multiple carbs. Your bike has a Vetter fairing? yes they are ugly and Honda didn't put it there.....take it off.
   The reliability is a well known fact. I personally know of many GLs with over two hundred thousand miles on them, in fact one that has four hundred thousand miles and is edging up on a half a million.
    The "glove box" provides nothing but convenience, must be why so many people buy tank bags.
Yes, bikes can be ugly, but like they say "in the eye of the beholder". As you may have guessed, I'm a little slanted in my views. ;D

...........Paul

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:53:39 am by 05c50 »
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:57:37 am »
What ever you have to do to warm up, it will never happen to me.

I was looking over my buddies and all I could think of was "that thing is huge!" And fully dressed,  it's a pain to work on, takes an hour and a half to pull "the dress" so you can get to the bike.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:00:27 am »
I'd say if you don't like them now odds are good you'll never 'warm up' to it. Kind of like old VW Beetles, you either love them or could care less, not much middle ground. Years back I had the 'opportunity' to work on several, including a blue 1100 that got passed around more than Courtney Love. Never looked forward to working on them. I don't like the way they ride either, but as always, different strokes for different folks.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:07 am »
They are big, low slung beasts...but I sort of like 'em.  Can't say I've owned one (my dad did when I was a kid), so I can't say much about working on them.  I sure wouldn't mind having one that sounded like this though:

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 03:01:52 pm »
Join the classic goldwings forum

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:42 pm »

I'd say if you don't like them now odds are good you'll never 'warm up' to it. Kind of like old VW Beetles, you either love them or could care less, not much middle ground. Years back I had the 'opportunity' to work on several, including a blue 1100 that got passed around more than Courtney Love. Never looked forward to working on them. I don't like the way they ride either, but as always, different strokes for different folks.

There's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. Good analogy. I've never ridden one, but I should as hell would given the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 04:12:49 am »
dhall57 got one, here is a discussion:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,119387.0.html

I remember reading that it is smooth and does not get blown around when passing a truck.

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:29:16 pm »

I've never ridden one, but I should as hell would given the opportunity.

Courtney Love or the Wing?
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 06:49:08 pm »
I had a 76 all dolled up, fairing, trunk and bags, CB/Radio, custom paint and upholstery. Heck it had EVERY Markland accessory on it that was ever made, and came with a 5' x 8' clamshell trailer painted to match.  It had 120K on it and a booklet of service receipts from the 1st owner who traded it in on a new one. It was cheap, ugly, and dirty when I bought it off the dealership and rode it home. Completely disassembled all the bodywork, cleaned and polished everything, rewired all the added lights and installed switches for them. Put 70K on that bike before I sold it....it was my intro into serious touring machines. I've had a full dress ever since except for the past 2 years.

There made to EAT miles...and that they do well. I could do 600+ miles a day on that in about 8 hours or so, including lunch and occasional stops, without a hitch and fresh at the end.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:53:37 pm by Desert-SOHC »
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 06:27:30 pm »
  A friend of mine stopped in yesterday. He's looking to by a mid sized machine, he's on a small Kaw now, guess he wanted to sit on a 550 and check out the fit.  He wants to do some long miles, cross country or something. He's over 6 foot tall and heavier than me, I told him he might be better off on a larger bike, like a 750.
 Said he just stopped by to see if there was anything in the barn that would fit.....don't know why, he knows I don't sell any of them. So we walk into the barn and says "You have a Goldwing", I say yes , then he says pointing at the windjammer, "Rich, you got to take that off !' 
    This whole time it was those aftermarket windscreen and boxes that has had me on the fence , and maybe not the bike itself. I've been trying not to take that stuff off because I'll need them when I ride cross country....screw em , they're just ugly. The rest of the machine is in good shape.  Naked is the way for me. I think.   Well I'll just save the ugly boxes for the long ride.
 05c50's machines look great naked. Nice seats , gauges, no bulky boxes great inspiration bikes...they look like real motorcycles,  something I'd want to ride. Yeah , I'm gonna find me some wrenches and get naked.
 Need to find a headlight  and mounts next, that'll be a good start on a plan of action.
   Thanks guys, I overthought this, I was so disappointed with the ugly part that the entire thing was looking ugly to me and  I was overlooking the good part.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline eigenvector

• Master
  • Member of the despondent public
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 07:14:05 pm »
See when someone talks about doing a custom job on one of these bikes I typically cringe, but the two in the photo from the 2nd post to me are excellent custom jobs.  They really look nice.
Rob
--------------------------------
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1979 CB750K Limited Edition
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »
I have to say, "I like 'em". I understand what you mean about belts and hoses, but don't we find ourselves learning some of the basics of any machine we own? Just takes time. The pre 77's are my favorite, but the Interstate up till maybe 82 can look sharp naked. I've gone to look at two in the last oh...three months and I swear if I find a good runner and the price is right...I'm gonna need that three car garage reeeal soon.
You mentioned "mounts" as well as a headlamp...do you mean the mounting ears for the headlight? If so, you just might find them folded inwards into the original headlight bucket behind that fairing. The biggest headache I hear of this model is the stator. I believe I've heard it said the motor has to come out to service or replace it. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:17:29 am »
   just need to know if it's worth the heartache, will she be worth taking a chance on?

Damn right these bikes are rb. I never had a GW or rode one until I got mine and what a smile it put on my face. Don't like the loaded down Wings, but I love my naked 77 GL1000 . Is it a gorgeous bike to look at, well compared to my CB750's  no not really. But on a ride of any distance my a$$ will be on the Wang no question. Comfortable, smooth, and quiet and plenty fast for this 59 year old. That's all it takes for me to warm up to mine. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:23:00 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 08:52:48 am »
I have always liked the look of a well-done "naked Wing".

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 02:58:11 pm »
Riding definitely makes a difference. The combination of power and exceptional engine smoothness really is terrific.

I will say though that you never forget how big it is, particularly if it is a fully dressed bike, whether that means a later Hondaline equipped Interstate/Aspencade or an early Vetter bike.

If you spend most of your time on B roads or riding around town, you will probably never really enjoy a 'Wing, particularly one with a fairing and bags on it. Trust me, I went from a 550 to a dressed '77 'Wing, so I speak from experience.

But on a highway or fast 2 line with sweeping turns and the 'Wing comes into its own. The mirrors are crystal clear, passing a car or semi is a twist of the throttle away no matter how fast you are going. You never feel like you are going to run out of power.

I would own another 'Wing, but only if I also had a smaller 550 or 650 too.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline dirtdawg

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 09:00:34 pm »
78 CB550k
2000 gl1500 CSC TRIKE

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 09:53:09 pm »
The naked wings are the way to go I think, but, I would not hesitate to put the very nice designed fairing that makes a wing downright transformed. The Rabid Transit.
Find a pic of one in that fairing with touring screen and lowers and you can enjoy the touring miles with one up or two up without the sore aches of most other bike. What other bike can wear a king & queen seat and look OK?
it doesn't look out of place and you might like the support it has.
The power is there and it can be a pretty quick bike off the line if you want to scoot. It can cruise at 100 if you have the place for it. The clear fairing shield would be the second look I would consider if you were doing a trip to remove the buffeting that wears you out on long rides.
the shorter screen can be fitted on the rabid transit for a different look.
 The RT is a pricey fairing amongst the BMW ranks so, pick them up off season they have gone as cheap as 300-450. But, they typically run around 600, or 1000 at the bmw variants. The lowers and mounts are all that are different.

The timing belts can be bought at your local NAPA or well sourced auto parts store.
The CV carbs can be fiddly and damn frustrating unless you tear them down and thoroughly clean in an industrial ultrasonic and chasing their holes in jets with a numbered drill in a pin vice can remove any recaltraint white hard deposits. Larry Cargill over on CX /GL forums or Randakk site can get you rebuilders who do good work. The pressed in jets on some of the CV carbs are really PITA and don't go near them with a easyout...disaster more times than not.
The clean CV carb is a good setup. Or if you have deep pockets then switch to Mikunis
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 05:28:06 pm »
Screw 4 carbs,single carb that bad boy

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 06:24:45 pm »
Put a 2 barrel Weber on it or a Solex 34pict3!  ;D
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »
I like mine, mega-dressed!  ;D

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 12:05:51 am »
So, you want a high rise single carb setup to rise up between your legs, am I reading that right?
I guess you are considering water injection for more power?
?...high flow setup I would imagine you have in mind?
David- back in the desert SW!

Wobbly

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 01:05:36 am »
Handling would be comparable or better than most bikes being made at the time

If I think of early GW (available first as 75 model), I think of a wobbly bike (which would fit my name here although the origin is quite different). The handling of the initial bike was disastrous and could be deadly. The heavy weight made the bike very unstable when cornering and not everyone was able to keep it under control. At high speeds (Autobahn), if fitted with a fairing (Windjammer), one could also lose control over the bike which also resulted in crashes, some of them being deadly. 

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 05:01:48 am »
Handling would be comparable or better than most bikes being made at the time

If I think of early GW (available first as 75 model), I think of a wobbly bike (which would fit my name here although the origin is quite different). The handling of the initial bike was disastrous and could be deadly. The heavy weight made the bike very unstable when cornering and not everyone was able to keep it under control. At high speeds (Autobahn), if fitted with a fairing (Windjammer), one could also lose control over the bike which also resulted in crashes, some of them being deadly. 

Really? I own a 75 (the green one in the picture) as well as other bikes of the same era and modern era, and I find that it handles very well. I live in an area that has many hilly and twisty roads and find that it will perform with the best of them. I don't ride with a fairing, but cruising at high speed is a dream. You mention the weight, how heavy do you think a 75 wing is? Maybe you just owned a bad one, or maybe you never owned one and you're only repeating the cries of jealous BMW owners of the time.

.....Paul

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:05:34 am by 05c50 »
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Wobbly

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 05:52:33 am »
Really? I own a 75 (the green one in the picture) as well as other bikes of the same era and modern era, and I find that it handles very well. I live in an area that has many hilly and twisty roads and find that it will perform with the best of them. I don't ride with a fairing, but cruising at high speed is a dream. You mention the weight, how heavy do you think a 75 wing is? Maybe you just owned a bad one, or maybe you never owned one and you're only repeating the cries of jealous BMW owners of the time.

.....Paul

Yes, really.  The horrible suspension brought law suits on Honda at the time. A friend of mine died after he lost control of a GW on the Autobahn--not immediately, but suddenly dropped dead a week later due to brain damage and despite wearing a helmet during the accident. I "imagine"  a dry weight of 584 pounds (265 kg). How about you? Cursory inspection of the literature at the time supports my impression regarding its poor handling. Perhaps, you are simply such a superior rider? Or, perhaps your "twisty roads" look a little different than the ones here. No speed limit either. Or, "maybe" you just don't know everything. Naah, that can't be.

Good luck here with your 75 GW. I think, I take the 75 Laverda instead.