Author Topic: Making an exhaust  (Read 1377 times)

Offline DMcD

• Enthusiast
Making an exhaust
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:25:56 pm »
Tresspassing here from the project page again.......

Making these for my 550

And have her on the bench to make the headers

Do any of you guys using a full fairing and 4 into 4 systems have pics of how close your pipes are to the sump and frame rails, mounting points etc?  How critical is equal pipe length? E.g. does an inch make much difference (
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:28:50 pm by DMcD »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Making an exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »
I'm speaking out of turn because I don't use four pipes, but if the fairing has an enclosed lower you'll have enough room if you keep them tucked in tight to the side of the pan and not much wider than the lower frame rail, especially in the front. Mine is a Davies fairing and I made room in the bottom of the fairing for the collector under a deep pan. (I coulda/shoulda made a flat collector instead.) From the back right you can maybe see there is room in this fairing for two pipes each side. The Davies is not extra wide in this area by any means.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:50:24 am »
Here is a shot of my 550 with individual exhausts.  Number 1 and 4 are outside the frame rails and number 2 & 3 are below the frame rails.  The problem with tucking them in tighter to the oil pan is then making the turn where the header and megaphone connect.  I also needed the room for the oil containment pan under the engine. 

There are more photos under CB550 Track bike in the High Performance and also the Projects section.  For looks and sound 4 open megaphones pushes all my buttons.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:04 am »
Just a thought Joey, a lot of people make them a little on the long side and block off access to the wheel spindle / back axle.
The factory CR750s stopped just before the axle giving access to get the wheel out without dropping the pipes.
Here's a picture of a 500 with four pipes, they are swept up some at the rear but the frame is not stock.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:27:48 pm »
Sam makes a great point.  At first my axle was blocked by the lower megaphone which had to be removed to pull it.  When I extended the rear shocks for ground clearance the axle was now below the megaphone and able to be pulled with no problems.  One of those fortuitous events.   ;D

Offline DMcD

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
I like your setup rocketman.  I thought there was room inside the frame, but as you point out, you need to get outside again before the mega.

I'll keep the axle access in mind too.

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:28:02 pm »
I was in a bind with access to the axle as well, not thinking through my exhaust build thoroughly. I ended up needing to reduce rake (stock length shocks) and made some extenders that make rear wheel removal a snap now.

Alan

75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:23:41 pm »
  Pipe fitting tip. I get a big abrasive wheel for a chop saw, lay it flat and rub the cut end of the pipe on it. You can get it nice and square for a perfect fit up. That makes the welds better. Also helps put a little more or less angle on the cut.  On stainless tape up the ends and fill it with Argon to avoid sugaring the inside bead.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline DMcD

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:34 am »
Just using mild steel, can't be bothered with the purging kerfuffle and it will be painted anyway.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:50:50 pm »
How can you guys have wheel access problems when the wheel pulls straight out the back...?    ?   ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:20 am »
Pulling the retainers at the back of the swing arm is another way to remove the wheel.  For racing purposes, just pulling the axle makes wheel/tire changes easier.  Not an issue for most street bikes.